Masterchef Australia Couple Chris And JuliaTo Open A Restaurant

Season 1 Masterchef Australia contestants and lovers Chris Badenoch and Julia Jenkins are going to be opening a restaurant on Smith St, Collingwood. Yes that would be in Melbourne.

The Age states the pair are currently renovating the premises.

The article states:

[They} are in the renovation stages at the 50-seat Josie Bones, which they describe as a ‘‘beer bar with food matching’’, near Gigibaba on Collingwood’s Smith Street. ‘‘It will be a high-end beer experience,’’  Badenoch says. ‘‘We’ll follow the share plates concept with a good showing of nose-to-tail dishes. I want to show people it’s not scary, although it will be a combination of both my and Julia’s styles of food.’’

They are hoping to open in the next couple of months.

This should dovetail nicely with Chris Badenoch’s launch of his cookbook The Entire Beast. Great concept, and great timing, unless there is a salmonella outbreak it should be successful.

Interesting to know who is bankrolling the restaurant. The article didn’t mention a silent partner, so either Chris is using his money he is receiving from his cookbook, and maybe Julia is getting some money from her parents.

1 testy { 08.17.10 at 10:22 pm }

hahahahahahaha!!!!
hahahahahahhheeeeehahhhahhh!!!
this is seriously the funniest thing I’ve ever read! absolutely no restaurant experience, he has been bankrupt TWICE, corporate law breaches and tax evasion and her parents cough up $$$ to give them a business!!!!!!!!
heheheheheheheh hohohohohohohoho
RR, HOW will it work, do you know what it takes to run a successful business!!!
hahahahaha
I’ll be laughing for weeks!!!!!!!!

2 Clover { 08.17.10 at 10:34 pm }

Not much money in most book advances. Wouldn’t you need about 100,000 in start-up money for a restaurant??

3 Reality Raver { 08.17.10 at 10:49 pm }

I have no idea how much money they would need, maybe they got a business loan.
I think they have the advantage over other new restaurants that they have a profile. And he is allegedly a beer expert. I think the issue is having the knowledge to set up the kitchen so it is workable.

I suppose you would need money to outfit the joint, liquor stock, liquor licence and outfit the kitchen.

4 testy { 08.17.10 at 10:57 pm }

they have profiles from a reality tv show, they don’t have ANY credibility !!

restaurants do well in Melbourne and Sydney when the people who run them know what they’re doing!

5 brain dead dave { 08.18.10 at 12:02 am }

To go to such a place you’d have to be hungry enough to eat a horse.

6 Culinary Boner { 08.18.10 at 9:13 am }

I hope this concept works as two of my three favorite things are properly prepared offal/game and boutique beer. Hell yeah bdd, I probably am hungry enough to eat a horse.

While Chris is pretty easy to shitbag and make fun of, he at least stands out as one of the only truly interesting contestants on a show that seems to mostly feature bland women, effete asian guys, stunned-mullet old dudes looking as embarrassed as they should at their half-arsed attempt at a ‘career change’ and pimply, sweaty adolescents.

7 rusty { 08.18.10 at 10:10 am }

CB,

that only leaves 20 and 30 something white males as being “interesting” in your books.

What the bet you have a beer belly?

8 Culinary Boner { 08.18.10 at 10:58 am }

Rusty, even with my massive beer gut, i still have a clear view of captain todger whilst taking my morning leak. Thus I am content.

You can add non-bland women to my list of “interesting” – Po, Skye and Marion. Any of the others would have been more interesting if they were either better cooks or less earnest and more feisty.

9 brain dead dave { 08.18.10 at 2:33 pm }

A guy walks into Chris and Julia’s place,goes up to the bar and orders a pony.

10 sourkraut { 08.18.10 at 2:37 pm }

Boner
spot on. I’m sick to the a#@e of know it all exes and jealous clowns mealy mouthing him just because its fasionable and easy to do so. Obviously none of them have EVER made a mistake
Good luck to him I say, hope it succeds. Out of the 2 MCs so far he was easily the best cook of the lot.
Deal with it!

11 Culinary Boner { 08.18.10 at 4:52 pm }

Sourkraut, I am also hoping that, apart from Chris’s bitter exes and discarded f***bunnies, a conga line of nubile young ladies from PETA stage a protest to coincide with the opening. I better get down there to feed my beer gut on the opening night. Where else on this planet would all three of my favorite things be catered for at the one venue? Plus I’d get to see an amusing catfight. As Callum and Sharni would say – AWESOME.

12 brain dead dave { 08.18.10 at 5:08 pm }

Have they got a name for the place yet?

There’s the obvious “Underbelly”. Or….

Slaughterhouse Five
Pig’s Ar$e
Cook A Burro

“Our reputation rests on it’s haunches”

13 big Sal { 08.18.10 at 5:52 pm }

this is too funny!!
sour, the best cook in two seasons??? I’m with tester in the laughing!
Did you not see Marion blast everyone out of the water!
the guy’s a crim and owes so many people $$$ it’s a joke.
Don’t make light of the damage he has caused sourkraut. You clearly don’t understand the trouble people like this guy cause.
There’s a reason he was on a Current Affair, people like him aren’t worth anything more.

14 Pollywaffle { 08.19.10 at 2:05 pm }

Just 4 u BDD …

” The Greasy Fedora”

15 sourkraut { 08.19.10 at 3:18 pm }

Sal
I know nor care nothing about his private life, and as for Saint marion I cant help remembering her efforts with the scones and the peanut sauce and various other foul ups i cant be bothered looking up again…. OVERRATED to B&^%$Gery!
Maybe she could supply the “sauces” for him

16 Culinary Boner { 08.19.10 at 4:11 pm }

Raver, can we have poll to choose names for Chris & Julie?

I’m voting for BDD’s Slaughterhouse Five suggestion. “Hey Jules, can you throw some more Tralfamadorians on the barbie, love. Oh, and crack me another beer”.

Aint the internet a much more wonderful thing than either Tony Abbott or Stephen Conroy imagine. A quick Google reveals an intrepid mob of US bbq chefs competing under the name Slaughterhouse Five. Here’s their winning recipe – http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/fishandseafood/r/fiveribsbbq.htm – which coincidently features a boutique wheatbeer. It looks the goods. And it also appears these guys have appeared on one of Anthony Bourdain’s shows.

Back on subject, let’s hope Chris doesn’t decide to call his restaurant Soylent Green or Sweeney Todds instead.

17 Pollywaffle { 08.19.10 at 6:45 pm }

CB, GAME ON…but I’ve got to up the ante now… for the Julia & Chris 6 month flop out…

Viscerali
Jus & Julia
Innardia

ouch hear my my head crack

18 brain dead dave { 08.19.10 at 7:16 pm }

“At Slaughterhouse Five,our staff have a lot of guts,balls and hide”

19 Pollywaffle { 08.19.10 at 7:40 pm }

Nose -to-tail, gives visions of the most gross horror movie ever … ( I was forcibly shown the trailer by a sick teen or 3….The Human Centipede…do not, do not Google it or you will not want to eat food for a month – maybe Matt P should watch it)

20 brain dead dave { 08.19.10 at 7:41 pm }

“You really must try the fresh muscles at Viscerali”

21 brain dead dave { 08.19.10 at 8:02 pm }

“Make that a bowel of fries for the kids,thanks”

22 seepi { 08.19.10 at 9:53 pm }

I’d go.
but I fear Melburnians are too cool for school and will avoid a ‘reality tv restaurant’.
I went to one of the restaurants in My Restaurant Rules in Melbourne, and the queue got abused for being shallow and tv focussed. Also my brother refused to go as it was a wanky tv restaurant.

23 Reality Raver { 08.19.10 at 10:38 pm }

LOL at all the names.

Seepi – Chris did have more food credibility than the others. And it is an interesting concept.

24 brain dead dave { 08.19.10 at 11:40 pm }

Chris B….I’ve mettwurst.

25 Culinary Boner { 08.20.10 at 12:39 pm }

another offally appropriate name suggestion – this time in honour of one of Chris’s favourite pursuits – Throbbing Gristle

although I expect none of us will be able to outdo BDD at this name pun game

26 brain dead dave { 08.20.10 at 1:23 pm }

“Chris had an accident in the kitchen last night…he dropped his guts.”

27 Pollywaffle { 08.20.10 at 7:48 pm }

Im off to the ‘Flesh Club’ for some Aphrodite’s Appendix

28 brain dead dave { 08.20.10 at 8:25 pm }

Chris says he’ll be keeping his eyes out for you, Pollywoffal.

29 brain dead dave { 08.20.10 at 8:29 pm }

PS Pollywaffle,you’re very cleaver.

30 TB { 08.21.10 at 6:00 pm }

lol, testy @ 1, it was never said that Julia’s parents were financing the restaurant, that was RR’s speculation… Geeze, some people will believe anything.

31 pepzii { 11.10.10 at 1:19 pm }

i know a great cafe/resaurant in Thornbury that opened up with next to no money. they serve amazing Polish and Austrian food and beer. great lattte’s too.

Chair14