Masterchef Australia – I Am Starting To Think This Show Is NOT Rigged

OK on a night when there were six people who could potentially be eliminated, one of who appeared to be a semi-competent cook has gone. Going off tonight’s episode I would have to say the show is not rigged, as two of the three strongest cooks fighting for survival tonight were in the sudden death spice taste test.

It was a two part elimination challenge, but first they had to sit through the hyperbole about how great it was to make the top ten. Yes it is an achievement, but it is not like American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance where the top ten go on tour.

The first part of the challenge was to make a Chicken Korma, the difficulty was to identify the spices that are in the dish, and they were not even labelled.

Joanne apparently has some phobia about curries “they scare me”. Jonathan decided to put a little chilli flakes in it, then when they panned to his saucepan and I could see at least five pieces of chilli in it. At that time I knew he was in trouble. Gary and George are not fans of a hot dish, let alone one that is meant to be mild. George after tasting it started hamming it up and pretending to wipe the sweat off his bald spot.

Skye should have got points for at least identifying there was saffron in the curry and not tumeric. However she was extremely heavy handed with this spice.

I am not sure why the judges are making such a big deal about Sharnee making a basic curry and then fiddling with the spices to try and get the flavours right. It was a clever tactic and kept her safe.

Joanne’s curry was criticised for too much yoghurt. In fact the only curry that was praised was Alvin’s.

Jonathan and Skye were deemed to have the worst two curries so would have to face off in a sudden death spice taste test.

Ironically they were the pair behind the strongest blue team dish last night the popcorn ice-cream.

It was at that point I remembered Skye’s opening comment about having a blocked nose and years and how she hoped it was not a taste test. I knew that the noose was definitely around her neck.

Her problem she over thought the spice and went with the complex garam masala, whereas Jonathan stuck with cloves.

Jonathan is indeed the eliminator, and has been in an elimination challenge five times. He has hardened up and does not sob over the person going home now. Again Sharnee dodges a bullet.

Skye whose house was spectacular, has opened a dessert business called Wild Sugar. She is also on twitter @wildsugar_skye. Channel Ten needs to tell the contestants to stay off the social media for the whole of the show, as it has given away that some of them are out of the house and quite possibly eliminated.

1 sourkraut { 06.12.10 at 12:31 am }

Southpark ale kilkenny very droll.
Perhaps a nice whiskey fondue b4 the kickoff. trouble is why did they have to put Krautland and Oz in the same group. I’ll barrack for oz this time.
Re Chris B, I never thought you were a h8r, but there were certainly a few fanatics last season, and that sort of thing inspired me to barrack for Joanne this time (can you guess he other reason?).
SO… who do you think will be the imPOH ster and the “rabbit in the headlights”, lazarus this time. From what’s written here i would guess Skye and Peter but I’m hoping its JIMMY. Shite I would have loved to see him cook the Korma. (and then hear the ignorant comments fro gg&m)

2 Injera { 06.12.10 at 12:39 am }

Would love to have seen Jimmy and the korma. You’ve reminded me that I must write to Madhur Jaffrey to ask her to streamline her korma recipes back to five spices.

Kind of hoping there won’t be any bring-backs, but if there are, I hope they are people who didn’t make it to the top 24 – for example, perhaps they will look at some they booted from the 50 and realise that they were no less talented than the cack-handed lot they put through (looking at you, Sharnee, Kate… chick who went back to her family).

I’m thinking I should make a choucroute garnie for Monday’s game. I don’t really care about the outcome, but at least I’ll be full of sauerkraut and pork!

3 sourkraut { 06.12.10 at 12:59 am }

and kart-offal salat and lager
BRING BACK IRMGARD
I repeat say it after me a thousand times ch10
“I …must….bring….back ..Irmgard
Yes I was wondering about the 5 spices. I have about 12 different curry recipe books and they all had at least 6 spices Including the excellent one by Madhur J
Maybe that’s how the adorable skye got mixed up….5 spices to make up garam masala although acutally its 8 spices and I dont use it much as I dont much like the taste or smell of it.

4 Injera { 06.12.10 at 1:06 am }

Have you checked out Coconut Coast on 7Two, sourkraut? I thought of you when I watched it… recipes are available on the web if you search under the name of the chef, rather than the host. The Dak Bungalow Chicken from Kerala he did last week is something I think I’ll try on Monday. Looked fab.

5 sourkraut { 06.12.10 at 1:20 am }

Still haven’t bought the modern new fangled digital tv set yet (dont know whether to get Ajax or Acme) and my sons is permanently hooked to the push button finger excerciser. Will do so soon even if only to change the ratings
So what’s the chef’s name? You have me intrigued, and what better way to spend the Queen’s bday than cooking for the raj by the sahib

6 Injera { 06.12.10 at 1:25 am }

Not to pimp out one’s own blog, but here is the post with link to the chicken recipe: http://www.blahblogblah.com/2010/06/03/food-tv-coconut-coast/ His name is Reza Mahammad. Good point on the QB link!

7 Bad Annie { 06.12.10 at 10:07 am }

I had already read a thread on a search engine that said Joanne made the final 10 that turned out true and that she won it (Heaven forbid !), so maybe it is true…the least liked person won it with the caught-in-the headlights big eyes and pursed overmade-up lips and most unlikeable personality. No cookbook buys from me if this is true.

8 sourkraut { 06.12.10 at 1:00 pm }

Injera
Thanks for the recipe. Looks a bit complicated for a simpleton like me. I think I’ll just do a nice easy kheema and a dhal and have a go at the chicken when Mrs K gets back.
Bad a
Hope you are right about Joanne. that would really give the haters something to whinge about. Look for ten’s (and the rest of Oz’s great reliable mass meedja) revelation that she is really a mass murdering world banker who pulls the wings off flies. GOOD GRIEF people. sounds like Chris B all over again

9 reality raver { 06.12.10 at 3:03 pm }

bad annie – don’t panic the finale has not been filmed. also there is talk of a live finale

10 brain dead dave { 06.12.10 at 4:37 pm }

Chis B can cook food but he can also cook books ..hence he was a twice bankrupt.
My mail is that the goanna in the headlights has left the building.

11 Airwalk { 06.12.10 at 6:48 pm }

Hope the Editor Scissorhands show us all the dishes created on Sunday for the Aussie Icon challenge-which one would you try to replicate?

12 Sue { 07.08.10 at 9:36 am }

Do any of these contestants know about hygiene. Fancy not using plastic gloves making meat balls etc. I would not have fed that dirty disgusting food to the homeless. The Wayside Chapel feeds the homeless and do their food lovely and in the most hygienic way. Take these grubs up to see hygiene and good food
and how to feed a large group of people.

13 Andre { 06.16.11 at 9:03 pm }

We are only seeing the second season in South Africa at the moment (June 2011). The show is definitely more honest, fair and professional this time around. From what one can see (after it has been edited) there is much less favoritism.

The group of contestants is much stronger and more competent. There is also not another irritating Ms Poh around this time, who is constantly acting for the cameras and playing Cutie Pie with the judges (and then rolling her eyes behind their backs). I just hope we won’t have a repeat of the miraculous return of some teachers’ pets towards the end of the series, the way the weezled Poh back. It is sad to see someone like Skye leave. But fair is fair, she lost the challenge and any decent cook should know what cloves smell like. So, I do hope Skye, for example, does not make some or other magical comeback towards the end, because she is George’s buddy or something like that. When you are out, you are out! Period.

Oh, and speaking of the devil….I do wish they would make a plan with that George character, the Shrek of Australia’s food industry. Can the producers not maybe hire someone to teach the man some table manners at least? Please show him how to hold his knife and fork like sophisticated, well-mannered people do. And please instruct him not to hop up and down on his toes like that when he speaks (is he trying to be Gordon Ramsey?) The man is a celebrity now, he needs a little ettiquette. He certainly should not be eating like a boorish Popeye The Sailor Man!