Masterchef Australia – The P&O Cruise PR Challenge

Yes we get it each team has to make 4000 canapes. Yes we know it was a huge challenge of providing all those canapes for the sailing away party for a P&O Cruise, but we don’t need it repeated 50 million times.

But first the team selection. Aaron was captain of the blue team and even though they had been told it was the biggest challenge ever, he picked Skye to head up the red team. Why wouldn’t you put the contestant’s with the less life skills in charge, like Sharnee or Matthew.

I seriously think Sharnee is this year’s Sam. Will she float through to final’s week, by being lucky enough to be in winning teams, or just have people who stuff up worst then her on the day.

Aaron picked Marion first, and Skye picked Peter. Jonathan was picked late, but it was Joanne who was left until last. Tonight she looked like she have been attacked by her blusher brush. Speaking of facial issues, what is with Jonathan’s beard? Is this a new thing?

Because the Red team had one less person they were given a trainee chef, which I thought it gave them an advantage of having a person who would know the equipment and know how to prep faster.

Anyway the deal was each team had four canapes to prepare, and produce 4000 of each just in case you missed it on the episode.  Aaron got to blind pick the four the blue team would do.

The blue teams canapes were:

• Stuffed zucchini flowers,
  • Salmon sashimi,
  • Wagyu beef, pear, and parmasan,
  • Lamb chops.

The red team were to prepare:

• Seared tuna with wasabi mayo,
  • Chicken Wings;
  • Roast Beef Canape;
  • Pork belly canape.

At first I thought that the blue team had the easier plate, however the zucchini flowers were a killer as they are so delicate and fiddly.

Aaron’s strategy was to do two canapes first and then do the other two once they have done. Ge0rge who was looking a little lost without Gary to bounce off was concerned about this. In the end Aaron had to buy an extra chef which would cost the team 100 votes, otherwise they were in danger of not getting the food out.

A few thoughts on the challenge:

• Was the challenge good PR for P&O cruises, that blue drink was not appealing?
  • Aaron had the crazy stressed eyes  going all challenge, and was running around supervising, but not sure I saw him do much hands on work;
  • Claire looked like she had had enough when she got yelled at for putting beef on the counter. Also  realising the beef had been cut too thickly and she was only going to be able to make 280 of the required 1000 canapes made her look even more miserable. Having said that we did not see if she was the one who actually sliced it. I blame the trainee chef myself otherwise they would have shown one of the contestants slicing it.
  • George yelled at Peter at the potential of the passengers getting salmonella, if he had not further cooked the chicken wings. He said it took six hours for the illness to come on and they would have left port. Hysterical yes.
  • No surprise the crowd loved the lamb cutlets;
  • No surprise that 98 per cent of the crowd did not know what a zucchini flower was;
  • Not sure about the integrity of the voting system, yes there was a girl in a nice pink coat watching, but would she recognise if someone was voting twice;

Also thought it was ironic (in a positive way) that there was an anglo guy Mark Jensen, working at Red Lantern, a vietnamese restaurant. This was the prize for the winning team this week to have lunch and a cooking lesson at the restaurant.

The red team comprehensively won with 1138 votes versus 762 so were off to eat prawn rolls.

The twist for this elimination challenge was the team had to put up the three who would face elimination tomorrow night.

Joanne puts her hand up and accepts responsibility for the salmon and dusty tempura, Jake is unhappy he is in the firing line as he worked his patooty off, and Marion is in because she sliced one salmon incorrectly. How did Aaron dodge the potential bullet he so deserved to be there.

However now we might find out how the immunity badge works. It appears you can see what the challenge is before you decide to bail. That is an advantage.

Tomorrow night the Laksa taste test.

1 wallah { 06.03.10 at 1:04 pm }

Pollywaffle…..have to disagree. The opportunity to sink more free piss on the father in law is the order of the day! And to make sure the waiter (i.e.me) was in no doubt as to what would happen if someone tried serving light beer again. And this was at a 5 star hotel. Still, was a lot of fun, and nothing beats going to a nice little inner city pub at 4 am after work and watching the bogans you’ve had to put up with all night get refused entry. After being kicked out of the casino. Tools.

2 Injera { 06.03.10 at 1:06 pm }

Raver: Matt and Gary were never eye-candy for me! I think it was the stubble that CG noted that put Jono in the “hot” category last night – and the fact that he seemed to just get stuck into his tasks (not a euphemism). Of course, Moran is the real draw-card. Is he on tonight?

Thanks, Wallah, another reason to keep Tiger on my “no fly” list!

And I must be in a brain fog this morning – it’s taken me until now to get Sourkraut’s raw salmon/salmonella joke. Maybe I should just start drinking now – it’s afternoon, after all.

3 Fides { 06.03.10 at 1:11 pm }

Just rewatched the last part of this episode – at the end when blue team are discussing who should be bottom 3, after Joanne nominates herself, Marion then says something like “I think everyone who worked on the salmon dish should be up for elimination” and so picks herself. The others then look at Jake and Aaron asks him if he has anything to say … it doesn’t show why it’s decided that the salmon was much worse than the zucchini flowers, but Matt and Callum have pretty much made themselves invisible sinking into the sofa. Then Aaron says something like “so it’s agreed that Jo, Jake, Marion were the worst performers” and I thought – does he really lack insight into his own performance as captain? Or is he in denial that he did a terrible job re time management and delegation of tasks… Or is he just such a fake and a coward that he’ll cry to the camera about judging his teammates but happily throw Jake “the hardest working cook in the house” under the bus.

Also, and do please pardon my ramblings, I think in a challenge like this, there should be some time penalty for failing to get at least one dish ready by the start time. Don’t know exactly when the blues had their first dish ready, but if say, it was half an hour, then they’re not following the rules and should be penalised accordingly. If they’re late because they’re working on their dishes so they taste spectacular, doesn’t seem fair if the other team delivers on time but with some compromise to the dish. A loss of a certain number of points for every minute it is late would cetainly add to the pressure.

4 Paul { 06.03.10 at 1:23 pm }

Just one further thing on the ratings.
MC rated an incredible 70.1 in females 18-29. Again this figure is unheard of.

So if I hear one more ignoramus state that the MC demographic is housewives and home cooks then I will vomit………

Its always been a young person’s show. This idea that it appeals to the oldies is factually wrong in every respect. In fact, if there is one demographic that shuns MC, it is people over 55.

5 spend a penny { 06.03.10 at 1:55 pm }

Paul, put down your rating sheet at once. Are you sure you arent working for Hey Hey?

There’s a concept called young at heart too which the ratings dont capture well. Over 55s are running away with the current cook book and Matt Ps book, so there!

6 spend a penny { 06.03.10 at 2:08 pm }

Has the gloss of the cooking dream been dulled by the vertigo of cooking in unsavory, boganville surroundings? EEEEwwww, no blow torch? What do you mean there is no truffle oil within a radius of 5km? Im sorry, I need a Telstra recipe prompter contraption to cook properly…. even if I skip a line, Im more comfortable that way

Dont think we’ve got any budding Robert Irvines ( ‘Dinner Impossible’ lovable rogue who would laugh in the face of 4000 canapes) amongst this shabby MC crew

7 Sooty { 06.03.10 at 2:11 pm }

Fides – thank you for that.

Joanne said she’d stuffed up tempura batter, also, hence nominating self with surprising self-awareness and humility.

Those greasy callow youths staying mum re their floundering about with the zucchini flowers for four bloody hours really pissed me off, and Aaron! Despicable!

I blame Marion – who is 27 by the way – 27 – awesome! – and Aaron who I have lost all feeling for – for poor bloody Jake being in the elimination.

I am not surprised he didn’t speak up while in the group – he has the look of a guy who is used to being shat on by other people. I really like him and I would like to see him stay. Shucks a mean oyster, too.

As for all those so-called ‘bogans’ on the boat. Many of them made informed comments on their canapes, even isolating the specific problem with the tempura batter. People are people in my book, and it was nice to see them enjoying themselves, excited about being on tv, and about to sail off on a holiday.

Claire, old droopy drawers, whined on self-effacingly for far too long. Oh how I wished the red team had lost – — but then red had Alvin and Peter and Sharnee, another mean oyster shucker, on it. Still it would have been fun to see Claire unravelling, entire spine collapsing, as she meekly bleated out the ingredients!

I can’t believe how fast my allegiances are shifting! I can’t believe how angry I get watching this show! Yeah, they’ve fucked it up a bit, but I still love it.

8 Reality Raver { 06.03.10 at 2:16 pm }

Wallah – I reckon you could handle the spring roll swill with aplomb. I was thinking of flying Tiger or would that be madness. At least it lands at Tullermarine NOT Geelong.

Injera – I hope Matt Moran is on tonight but may just be Matt P and George, they were probably wondering how long Gary would be gone at this point. But it is going to get dull quick with just the two of them.

Fides – thanks for clarifying how they got nominated. Jake should have spoke up, yes they were slow with the de-boning but did any bones make it out to the punters.

I think I will stay out of the ratings debate on the blog.

Seepi – I agree about the voting, and would there have been exactly 2000 people there?

9 spend a penny { 06.03.10 at 2:18 pm }

Wallah – once thing in life that you can rely on ( besides death and taxes), that a tool is consistently a tool

10 Guest Blog: Masterchef Australia Elimination Dictionary | reality ravings { 06.03.10 at 2:29 pm }

[…] commenter Pollywaffle put this in the comment section of Masterchef Australia P&O Challenge, however I thought it was so good it deserved to be in a separate post.  Please add your own […]

11 Fides { 06.03.10 at 2:55 pm }

Sooty, have you heard Marion’s radio voice? I posted towards the end of one of last week’s threads the link through her wikipedia page… there’s of course not one awesome! to be heard. She has a very professional ABC voice and sounded much older than the 23 she would have been. But I mean, if she used her professional reporting voice in her commentaries on the show, we’d be criticising how rehearsed and pretentious she sounds.

I still think she is pretty spectacular but agree, she could expand her vocabulary to not sound like a teenager.

12 sourkraut { 06.03.10 at 3:12 pm }

Raver
a good ABMTS needs fresh ingredients and I dont think Coles or IGA or even Woolies would stock them. maybe a spot of Dumpster diving at the MC kitchen would turn up the goodies (INJERA thanks for that one my sides still hurt)
Injera
My delicate nature (and MrsK) forbade me from qouting the verse about the cook whose name was Freeman, and the other verse about the cook whose name was O’malley who did not dilly-dally (unlike the MC contestants)
Sooty
I tend to agree with all your comments this time
So how many bottles of Bogans Pride inner city chardonnay will I need to chill for survival through tonights episode while the tv destroyer is out of action?
Paul

Re the ratings, it was Wednesday night, the MOST PATHETIC night of viewing of the week (even SBS had nothing much) so most people were inside mid week due to rain and unfortunately our progressive education has allowed the masses to forget how to read so there was nothing else to do bar watch MC unless like many you were pushing x-box controller buttons (which may have been more interesting)

13 Set up!!! { 06.03.10 at 4:00 pm }

Jo’s time is up and so she was pushed. Marion needs to volunteer to create tension. It was time for Jake to make an appearance after being in the middle of the pack too long.

14 MelbaToast { 06.03.10 at 4:07 pm }

What a stoopid challenge! Does cooking 1000 canapes (surely Georgie Porgie was pronoucing this incorrectly – he made it sound like they were going to have to go and pitch tarps up on deck to keep the passengers dry) having anything to do with being an amateur cook?

The challenge was unfair too, in that the blue team had so much more fiddly prep work to do.

AND if there’s 2000 passengers on board surely there should be 2000 of each type of canape so everyone gets to try everything.

How cruel making the team pick who should be up for the grand fireball!

15 sourkraut { 06.03.10 at 4:18 pm }

Melba toast
Exactly

16 Angry of Mayfair { 06.03.10 at 5:07 pm }

bring back Injera

17 whirlpool.net.au { 06.03.10 at 5:17 pm }

Ah don’t diss RR-but Injera’s recaps are gold. BTW ignore ratings troll everyone.

18 Reality Raver { 06.03.10 at 5:32 pm }

Angry of Mayfair – Injera’s recaps are indeed fabulous, and a different style to mine. I hope you are checking out her blog http://www.blahblogblah.com as it has some great reviews of TV shows, and other interesting eclectic stuff.

Melbatoast – Good point some people may have only got to taste one or to canapes.

Set up – there will be fear and loathing if Marion goes.

19 pollywaffle { 06.03.10 at 5:34 pm }

Skt – Just been supermarket shopping and gawd ther’es only six eggwhites of separation in this world – that blasted Donna Hay’s pinched your MC3 entry vehicle. Yes, wack bang on the cover of latest DH Mag – “Food to stay in for” , Alaskan bull moose turd stew

20 Zibb { 06.03.10 at 5:59 pm }

The canapés added up to 1,900, not 2000 (762 and 1138)
it does seem weird that it was such an even number, but it doesn’t hve the full 2000

21 pollywaffle { 06.03.10 at 6:04 pm }

Zibb – but there was a side order for Matt P for 100 of course

22 Paul { 06.03.10 at 6:11 pm }

Zibb, deduct 100 points for the hired chef.

23 pollywaffle { 06.03.10 at 8:50 pm }

RR I was sick today and had to, had to of course, keep up my energy levels with mini-wagon wheels. But I kept floating off into a cloud imagining eating that Phillipa Sibley dessert featured on MC instead – just for medicinal purposes only.

Now that she has given BG the big tuille, do you know whether she is going to serve that dessert at Il Fornaio? Its not quite cafe material but who knows what’s in the vision.
I need a fix but Im a bit worried cos at their bread prices that little beauty’s going to be more expensive than a trip to the dentist

24 Reality Raver { 06.03.10 at 10:03 pm }

Sorry Pollywaffle I have no idea, I am not on top of the Melbourne food scene. I leave it up to Injera to deal with that when I visit, as her finger is on the foodie pulse.
However I would be tempted to try that dessert if she does have it on the menu there.

25 sourkraut { 06.04.10 at 1:59 pm }

Polyyw
I hope it was not brown

26 K.C. { 06.04.10 at 11:06 pm }

I felt bad for Jake – especially as when Joanne was having problems with the salmon – Jono said – leave it and I’ll do it. Why didn’t he speak up and say that when they were deciding sho should be up for elimination?
In my mind it should have been Aaron (crappy captain-ing), Joanne (crappy boning, crappy batter) and one of the boys from the zucchini flowers.