So You Think You Can Dance Australia Won’t Be Renewed

In sad news popular reality dance shoe So You Think You Can Dance Australia won’t be renewed next year, meaning Season 3 will be its last.  The show struggled in the ratings this in its new time slot of Wednesday and Thursday nights.

The Daily Telegraph reveals that Fox 8 will be screening an Australian version of the show Got To Dance.

The article states:

Got To Dance will begin filming in Oz later this year, with plans for it to air on Fox 8. The latest TV dance comp will fill the void left by SYTYCD, which has been officially killed off after three series – just as we reported last month.

Currently a judge on the popular British version of Got To Dance, Garcia is tipped to headline the local version while he’s in Oz to star in the upcoming stage version of Tap Dogs.

Got To Dance will follow a competition format but unlike SYTYCD, which was open to solo dancers up to 35 years of age, groups or individuals of any age can enter.

The English version has been a solid performer here in Australia for Fox 8 and a big hit for digital channel Sky1 in the UK, attracting an average of one million viewers.

Channel 10 have not ruled out in bringing the show back. Personally I think putting it in the Sunday timeslot, plus tweak the judging panel, then it would be a ratings winner again.

Never fear the contestant’s and judges are still around with season 1 winner Jack Chambers to star in an Australian version of the musical Hairspray, choreographed by Jason Coleman, and Season 2 winner Talia Fowler currently performing in Fame.

Matt Lee is also currently tripping the light fantastic in Mary Poppins.

I hope this means that Channel Ten might think about screening the US version of the show again, as apparently this season is a cracker where ten of the contestant’s have appeared on previous seasons.

1 Shelsta78 { 07.13.10 at 3:45 pm }

This can’t be true? That’s left a big gap in my Reality Show rotation for the year! I’m so sad about this!

How does Dancing with the *cough* Stars survive and not SYTYCDA?

Boo Channel 10

2 Izobel2 { 07.13.10 at 3:57 pm }

I totally agree Shelsta 78! Dancing with the idiots is such a second rate show compared with SYTYCDA!
And RR I’d love to see the US version of Dance if 10 previous contestants are on there. What talent.

3 Laura { 07.13.10 at 4:20 pm }

Yes the latest US season of SYTYCD is awesome. Channel 10 should definitely screen it here.

Allison, Twitch, Pasha, Anya, Mark… so many talented dancers from previous seasons!

4 Jess { 07.15.10 at 11:35 pm }

I cant believe that channel 10 are not renewing sytycd. Big mistake. I love watching it, it gave me something to look forward too everyweek. And yes you should defanately screen the us version. Very entertaining

5 Ronnie { 07.17.10 at 1:20 pm }

My daughter and I are very disappointed and shocked that Channel 10 have not renewed sytycd. I am convinced the timing of last season was a factor, in our case my daughter has dancing practice Wednesday nights so we always had to tape it and then watch Wednesday night plus Thursday night together, this also had to affect children not being able to watch it on school nights, just loved it when it was on Sundays

6 Helen { 07.17.10 at 2:29 pm }

I agree with Shelsta & Izobel. How on earth does dancing with the wannabee’s survive and the real talent gets pushed to the background?? If Channel 10 are going to screen the latest American one are they going to do what they did last time? Put the first few weeks to the top 10 on at a decent time and then switch the rest to late night TV. This is bad form all round from Channel 10. Gee once masterchef is over there will be no need to watch Channel 10 at all!

7 Amo { 07.19.10 at 2:28 pm }

How can people support the performing arts if they take it away from us, not to mention having something that girls and especially boys have something to be inspired by

8 Krystal { 10.23.10 at 12:23 am }

as if sytycd is not running again. im so shattered. i was actually going to audition for the next one because im finally old enough to. channel 10 will be losing alot of viewers i think!

9 Cheryl { 04.15.11 at 7:03 pm }

Totally devistated SYTYCDA is not running.

10 Angela { 05.31.11 at 11:44 am }

Nigel Lythgoe should take SYTYCD to Ch7 or Ch9 and show Ch10 the mistake they made.Biggest mistake Ch10 made with this show .
They also stuffed up with the airing of the last episode of Outrageous Fortune.Rang and emailed them in regards to this and to SYTYCD being cancelled but they didn’t care what i and others have to say.Boycott CH10 and not watch anything on their channel

11 Ellen { 06.04.11 at 1:36 pm }

Stands back from the keyboard in azaemment! Thanks!

12 Steph { 07.08.11 at 3:11 am }

Thats so sad! i love SYTYCDA! I hope they bring it back in future years because I really wanted to audtion when I’m older

13 John { 02.02.12 at 1:15 pm }

As an enormous fan of the Oz version of SYTYCD living in Sweden I just had to say something when I got the chance, Australia has some if not the best dancers in the world and not to forget people, compared to the US competitors you have so much compassion for each other and I really love that, I hope they bring it back so I get to see all you amazing dancers doing your thing again!!!! <3

14 Naomi { 07.20.12 at 6:51 pm }

We love SYTYCD Australia and want it back.. We also want to know when we can see the US season.