Masterchef Australia – Chiko Roll’s the Iconic Food That No One Eats

Masterchef Australia Season one winner Julie Goodwin made an appearance tonight as a special guest and judge for the mystery box challenge. And surprisingly there was no mention or promotion of her cook book My Family Table.

I must say I thought it was refreshing that she had not become media slick and seem very much like she was last year. Also in yesterday’s paper she said she is going to open a restaurant next year called Pianola. It will be on the Central Coast where she lives, so at least she is putting her money where her mouth is.

Julie had picked the ingredients for the mystery box challenge and they were lamb backstrap, lemon, cream cheese, mint and chilli.

Again as has been said each week, and I should just cut and paste the same paragraph into each blog post, the editing of the mystery box challenge showed the three dishes that were going to get picked. Also it is pretty similar for the invention test and you don’t have to be a member of mensa to work out who will be top and bottom three.

What was surprising was the amount of contestants that did not use the lamb strap. Alvin was one who did and he was picked to have his dish tasted. Which also begs the question, if Alvin’s lamb,with egg, with caramalised peanuts, and raw chilli stuffed with cream cheese looked as “yuck” as Matt Preston said why was it selected?

It ended up getting a positive response by the judges but it looked pretty ugly on the plate. Callum who again for the second week in a row made some version of a dish that he had seen on masterclass was tasted. Julie like his lemon mousse wrapped in a biscuit. Marion was the other dish tasted she had made a spring rolls with lemon, cream cheese and mint. This dish confused me was it sweet or savoury?

I thought Claire’s dish of a lamb salad looked good, and have no idea what Aaron cooked as they did not even pan over it.

Marion won and got to pick which aussie icon the top ten would have to recreate. She had the choice between and iced vo vo’s, chiko rolls or a golden gaytime.

Going for the judges weak spot of fat and salt she picked the chiko roll.

Aaron was probably very worried about this challenge considering he had reconstructed an Aussie icon, the dagwood dog,  the week before and had got hammered for it.

Thankfully Matthew asked the question the $64 million question “What is in a Chiko roll?” Yes I have eaten one decades ago but my palate is unrefined and the only ingredient I could identify was cabbage. So I was on the edge of my seat waiting for this answer.

Thankfully Jonathan Daddia forensically examined one and proclaimed it was “Mashed potato, cabbage and some sort of meat”.

“I have to recreate it” said Alvin to camera, which I thought was a bad idea. Seriously does anyone actually like chiko rolls?

Callum was the only one who was making something more disgusting then the chiko roll by deep friying beef wrapped in pasta. Some cow died for that.

Sharnee was having corn issues that was popping everywhere, plus she was going for the ubiquitous potato garnish, to show she paid attention in masterclass. Her dish was just meat and three veg as was Matthew’s.

Marion was doing a reconstructed chiko roll  with a sauce and it looked pretty good, also I thought it really showed off her cooking technique.

Jonathan was doing an unreconstructed take on the chiko and was determined to get some corn pastry on the dish, and it ended up being a pastry round sitting on top a beef and vegetable braise.

Alvin had to wipe his Beef in Sweet sauce  off George mouth with one of his steam buns. I thought this was just plain weird. The judges liked his take of the chiko roll, whereas Matthew and Sharnee was told by Gary “does not speak of chiko roll”. However Sharnee thought she would not be bottom three.

But after receiving criticism she did say “It makes me question whether I should be here”. Exactly.

Adam dodged a bullet when he was not named in the bottom three with his vegetable cannoli and beef tempura dish.

Jonathan’s beef and vege dish with his corn hat was given the ultimate praise by George who licked his finger and then shook hands with Jono to congratualte him.

Marion’s Wine Bar chiko roll also got  George to gush effusively ” Your a legend, it tastes absolutely fantastic”.

When it came to Callum’s turn to be judged he knew his wrapped beef on a carrot puree was a dog and he got so upset he had to leave the set. George came and gave him a pep talk along the lines of you will get a chance to cook tomorrow night.

The top three were Alvin, Jonathan and Marion, with Jonathan winning. And he looked pretty stoked.

Bottom three were Sharnee, Matthew and Callum. Thank christ one of them will be eliminated tomorrow night. For that this could be one of the best episodes yet.

Related Posts

1 Injera { 06.13.10 at 11:22 pm }

Pianola? So appropriate. The piano that plays even if you have no musical sense or ability. Oh dear.

2 sourkraut { 06.13.10 at 11:28 pm }

The last vague modicum of credibility of this masterfarce disappeared tonight

3 Injera { 06.13.10 at 11:29 pm }

Oh, and about the food… The Gen Ys would have been screwed had Marion chosen the iced vovo, I’m guessing.

Did Claire cook anything for the icon challenge? Aaron? Joanne? Well, they weren’t bottom or top three, so I’m guessing they did… guessing, because we didn’t get even so much of a glimpse of their efforts.

I was really hoping that I’d imagined that Alvin/George moment. Eric’s reaction on Twitter showed me that it wasn’t my fevered, sick imagination. God. Awful.

(Admission time: I’m now craving a chiko roll. From memory, the key ingredient is harsh, white pepper.)

4 sourkraut { 06.13.10 at 11:34 pm }

Y R they not made to use ALL the ingredients of the mystery box?
Most did not use the dreaded meat and opted for a wussy dessert, except for Alvin who at least had a go.
Even so MP said yum Yuck and displayed yet again his colossal ignorance of all things to do with Asian cooking. I think Alvin was robbed!
And the winner is…. the ad. Dr (shite) house , making the wrong decision…. appropriate to this method of judging Y only 3 out of 10 tasted. MP’s diet?

5 saffronlie { 06.13.10 at 11:34 pm }

I thought it was bizarre that everyone seemed to use beef, when the meat in Chiko Roll is mutton. Not that anyone really cooks mutton these days, but I thought this challenge was about authenticity. Or something.

I also caught George shaking hands after licking his fingers, so gross. But I have to hand it to George for comforting Callum. He is surprisingly good at talking contestants around from attacks of the tears.

6 Wurstsemmel { 06.13.10 at 11:41 pm }

Alvin was robbed. I’m getting pretty fed up of Marion. I’m warming to Johnathan. My first choice remains Alvin though.

Looks like nothing has really changed with Julie. Thought I was back watching Series 1 for a minute.

I’d be happy to see any of the bottom three go tomorrow.

7 CG { 06.13.10 at 11:42 pm }

So we are down to 10 contestants – why the hell can’t they show us what each one has cooked and the tasting? It is not only makes the whole thing look really contrived, it is boring as hell because you know straight away who the top 3/ bottom 3 are.

I reckon some of the contestants are getting smart (arsed) and look up / test 2-3 recipes and for the invention challenge they will cook what they plan on cooking and figure out a way to justify it. Alvin’s chiko role being a prime example. The story he used to justify it was a huge stretch and just not credible.

When they were panning the room during the invention test tasting, Joanna didn’t have any food or plate in front of her and we basically didn’t see anything from Claire or Aaron in either test. Claire has been really under the radar for several weeks.

I reckon Callum or Sharnee goes tomorrow night and if it is Callum, I think George will offer him a job. The guy simply can’t cook and seems to be only as good as what he has picked up at the last masterclass. Can’t believe he was in one of the early celebrity chef challenges!

8 pollywaffle { 06.13.10 at 11:44 pm }

Ewwww to the 9 1/2 weeks moment with Geo and Alvin ( check it, we’re going into week 10)

George talked Callum around pretty quickly – it was either pull yourself together boy or you’ll be wiping my buns

9 Muru { 06.13.10 at 11:48 pm }

The editing bewilders me sometimes. Half way through the show, Sharnee said “I haven’t been in a pressure test yet, and I seriously don’t want to end up in the bottom three in the invention test today!” Um, okay? Where the heck did that comment come from? I knew right then and there that she would land in the bottom three. I mean, do the editors seriously think we’re that stupid? I’d love it if the editors could be at least a tad more unpredictable for once.

Poor Callum. That beef wrap was probably the worst dish that has been plated up in the competition so far. Callum has made so many amateurish mistakes throughout the past few weeks and his incompetence is really starting to show. I was also surprised that Matthew didn’t run up and push George out of the way to give Callum a big hug and kiss when he went off to sob. Yes, I still think Matthew is in the closet.

As much as I abhor Matthew and Sharnee, I’m guessing Callum will be the one killed off tomorrow. Why? All these disastrous incidences over the past few weeks (culminating in tonight’s episode with his disastrous beef wrap) would have been timed conveniently for his elimination tomorrow. If this happens, it’ll be interesting to see how Matthew will react to the elimination of his “best buddy.”

10 sourkraut { 06.13.10 at 11:50 pm }

Aussie Icon my A@$e None of my mates ever at these mystery bags! Y not a vegemite sanger, or a lamington, or an aeroplane jelly, at least they had jingles to go with them whereas all th Chiko roll had was phallic slutty pictures.
Anyway here is the recipe (without exact amonts) of the old DOG TURD IN BATTER….wheat flour,cabbage 18%, animal fat, H2O, barley, carrot, beef 4.5%, wheat cereal, celery, onoins, green beans, soy protein!, acidity regulator 450 ( it gets better still), hydrolised proteins, spices, emulsifier 471, colours 102 and 110 and flavour enhancer 635. So there you have it healthy Oz Icon1
Anyway I must have blinked and mised it as I did not see any of the buffoons use half of these “ingredients”
And how were they supposed to reproduce this bag of crap anyway?
In the end not a single one of them bore even a VAGUE resemblance to a chiko role ( that said they were probably healthier than the original) Nearly all of them looked like a pigs breakfast, so how on earth did the judges decide the winner when they checked out 7 out of ten, so why not do all of them?
I guess johno got the sympathy vote for his UFO on plate of mush.
About the only good thing was I think the 3 gen yers are in the eliminator, as their offerings looked truly appalling

Marion u r the new Poh. Shocked facial expression… I cant believe I’ve won by cooking another bloody dessert again blah blah etc
Sorry MC this was the day the music died!

11 Fides { 06.13.10 at 11:52 pm }

Boo to the editors. I thought being top 10 (and how many times did they mention that tonight) , we’d finally see more of the cooking. But yet again, they only featured 4 dishes for mystery box and showed 7 tastings for invention test. Last year they were definitely showing them all by this stage and even when there were more contestants. Grrrrrr.

Sharnee was really bugging me tonight with all her talking and her round face (OK, not entirely her fault, but I prefer her Pippi Longstocking look – at least the plaits are distracting). She hasn’t bugged me quite so much before but tonight there was something different about the way she was doing her commentaries… like she was stoned or something and her face was just going to jump out at me. Please let her be gone tomorrow night.

I got back some love for Jo with her ethnic 70s upbringing and she looked positively sparkly tonight. Her lemon curd dish looked pretty ordinary , but I was hoping she’d get picked. I wanted her and Jules to share a special moment.

Chiko rolls – all I remember is that the batter was always soggy and chewy and you had to tear at it with your teeth to get a bite, and my jaw would ache from the chewing. None of the crunch they kept going on about tonight. I wish Marion had chosen the gaytime but of course, Maz is not a risk taker and as she’s said for the upteenth time, she’ll always play to her strengths. Not a bad strategy, just boring.

12 pollywaffle { 06.13.10 at 11:56 pm }

CG – contestants are just following the lead from Geo – the king of ‘creative cooking ‘ – he usually puts together a cracking dish, a little ripper, a simple little something that is never fully revealed till the final edit (when hes checked whether the blaster has had enough time to freeze/slush or set.)…then we either get a sexy little mousse, gel or slop…if we’re lucky.

Jonno won a challenge even though he cocked up his corn pastry roll ups, and the Gs knew he stuffed it as well …. so much for being able to invent something, maybe the invention test is aptly named after all.

13 pollywaffle { 06.14.10 at 12:02 am }

skt – Chiko roll, another example of the MC cooking philosophy, to get people to embrace the BEST food and use the freshest seasonal ingredients in the simplest way.

What was the Jo comment about missing out on the Chiko as a child of the 70s?? Her family tree would have included a branch with a greasy shop.

14 sourkraut { 06.14.10 at 12:17 am }

pollyw
I wonder which of the above ingredients in the DTIB was titanium dioxide.
Fides
spot on description of the DTIB. Only to be eaten at a footy match to demonstrate ones masculinity (swallow without spewing)

15 Fides { 06.14.10 at 12:18 am }

According to MC bio page, Jo grew up on a farm. But her comment got me imagining her school lunch box and how “ethnic” she must have felt.

16 brain dead dave { 06.14.10 at 12:18 am }

There was a brief reference to Julie Goodwin’s book in teasers that went to air in SA. That’s one scary ‘tash she was packing,too. Frump city.

17 sourkraut { 06.14.10 at 12:20 am }

Wsemmel
I concur
except re johno

18 Anon { 06.14.10 at 12:22 am }

Jo stating that she missed out on a chicko roll was just her emphatically stating she is not a bogan.

We didn’t need to see Callum upset and G comforting him. Time could have been used to… I don’t know…show the other contestants’ dishes perhaps?

Fake enthusiasm when Julie walked in. Marion’s comments that she (J) uses food that everyone uses so diplomatic (in a bad way).

Julie’s appearance (despite what some may think of her culinary ability) hightlighted how bland this years’s contestants are.

The third ingredient should have been lamingtons. Then it would have forced Marion to cook a sweet dessert. (She always does savory).

19 Kaylen { 06.14.10 at 12:31 am }

The comment George made about Alvin’s chilli thingy in that thing-a-ma-jig dish he did for the Mystery box. “Beads of joy” in relation to sweat… or to go with their moment later, in relation to “something” else? ;)

lols.

Am happy with the bottom three for tomorrow. Yay!

I love Chiko rolls. It is a common food – sold mostly in pie shops, food vans and the like. Blue collar food. :P

I never knew there was potato in them, though. Going by what sourkraut posted too, there isn’t. What does that say about the contestants, when the majority said there was potato? :P

Chiko rolls are about as good for you as Master-farce is – ie, not much. :P

Will be glad with tomorrow’s elimination, no matter what. Only concern that if Matthew goes, so does the eye candy! Ohwells.

Muru: Re Callum/Matthew. Look at when Callum returns to his bench after his little sob, and who he rushes to first. With a great big, and lasting, hug. ;) ;)

lols.

20 Fides { 06.14.10 at 12:46 am }

Anon, Jo won me over with her horrified look of not knowing what an Australian food icon might be. No one else would be honest enough to admit aloud to not knowing what that even means (which is how I interpreted Jo’s reaction). I didn’t think it was to distance herself from bogan roots … but just showed her ignorance instead

Did anyone noticed who had eaten chiko rolls before? Only Marion? I was surprised it looked like the majority had never had one.

All sweet/desserty things would have been a good challenge. Wish they’d had Minties as an option too – that would have been interesting.

21 Anonymous { 06.14.10 at 12:55 am }

Notice the judges didnt go into the aromatics of the chiko challenge in too much detail, in a nutshell, rank fart

22 sourkraut { 06.14.10 at 1:07 am }

Fides
Wot exactly is an oz food icon? (other than those I have suggested or Paul Hogan’s prawn on the barby)
Also y r u surprised hardly any of the contestants had never eaten a DTIB b4. Fortunately with the advent of multiculturalism to the country, the cuisine of the land improved 1,000,000,% and there would have been about 1,000,000 other yummy things to eat before having to get desperate enough to have a chiko roll!!!!!
Yep minties would have been good, and my good mate Pollywoffle could have got a guensey for her namesake, and even a packet of twisties ( would have gone well after the cheesey comestibles demonstration recently) would have been interesting

23 sourkraut { 06.14.10 at 1:08 am }

Cmon people
Help a dumb old fart out here.
ON WOT BASIS DID THE THREE WISE MEN SELECT THE WINNER???????????????????????????????????????

24 brain dead dave { 06.14.10 at 1:21 am }

Jack Farnham is an Oz food icon.

25 Airwalk { 06.14.10 at 1:24 am }

Chiko Rolls-how vile are they? Would have loved to see them try either of the other two icons(wtf? icons)…love a Gaytime I must say.
Loved how Marion seemed to mouth ‘Margaret Fulton’ when they were building up to Julies entrance and Jo seemed excited and said ‘Poh’? Then Julie rolled on in and revealed her mystery box…ho hom.
Like others, I was disappointed that some contestants were ignored (Was Aaron or Claire even there? And Jo wasn’t there for half the show,which isn’t entirely a bad thing-although her eyebrows have almost inspired me to get mine shaped tomorrow) disgusted by the steam bun wipe incident and Callum having a breakdown…urgh, unattractive. Glad those 3(M, C & S) are in the bottom … wouldn’t miss them if they all went tomorrow.
Don’t know about anyone else but missed a bit of hair on Jon’s face(prefer a bit of a shadow to the full wolfman look)…and thought of Geo saying he is weird when he wordlessly shook his hand after eating his ‘chiko roll’(too eird to even talk to now Geo?).
And speaking of being transprted back to Season 1, I missed the last few minutes so went online and week 1 of Season 1 is there instead of S2 so think I may have gone back in time…
On another subject braved a second episode of Delish last wee, don’t like it-wanted to but it just doesn’t work for me, Julia and Josh don’t come across very natural…but I have warmed to Poh’s show especially when Neil Perry is on as they have chemistry.

26 sourkraut { 06.14.10 at 1:28 am }

would the people who voted that this seasons mc cooks are better than last seasons please explain (to coin a phrase) to a poor old fart who sharnee and callum and mathew and skye and Fiona and Carri and Jake and claire and Peter are better than in the MC1 series?

27 Pollywaffle { 06.14.10 at 1:29 am }

jonno recreated the iconic moment of the bottom falling out of the chiko roll, leaving the bogan with a strange yellow sheath that wasnt worth eating- that great play on a classic food moment must have tipped the judges his way

28 Airwalk { 06.14.10 at 1:34 am }

Looks like we have to fight for our icon…
And apparently the Chiko roll consists of boned mutton, celery, cabbage, barley, rice, carrot and spices in a tube of egg, flour and dough which is then deep-fried

29 Pollywaffle { 06.14.10 at 1:39 am }

Kaylen, yergggh re G&A I hate thinking that it might have moved….

30 Airwalk { 06.14.10 at 1:44 am }

Sorry…Wikipedia lied…apparently this is whats on the packet…wheat flour, cabbage (18%), water, cooked barley (water, barley), carrot, beef (4.5%), animal fat, wheat cereal, celery, onion, green beans, textured soy protein, salt, sugar, acidity regulators (450, sodium bicarbonate), hydrolysed vegetable protein, spices, emulsifier (471), colours (102, 110), flavour enhancer (635).
Source: http://www.genfab.com/2006/09/15/chiko-roll-wtf/

31 Injera { 06.14.10 at 6:03 am }

Pollywaffle: That was probably my most memorable sense-experience with a chiko roll, now I come to think of it. Not the flavour, but the feeling of the scalding contents down my front or in my lap when the bottom came out of the thing. Jonno is onto something.

32 Airwalk { 06.14.10 at 6:36 am }

I alays thought it was just chunder in pastry when I first came to Australia…

33 NT Kate { 06.14.10 at 6:59 am }

Are chiko rolls, iced vovos (which I’ve never eaten that I remember) and some kind of icecream on a stick (maybe I’ve had one, but I don’t particularly recall it) really the best we can do in terms of foood ‘icons’? Clearly I (like most of the contestants) had a deprived childhood never having subsisted on these!

Though his tube failed, Johnno’s was actually vaguely connected to the notional concept (whereas Alvin’s might taste great, but looked more than a bit of a stretch despite the cutesy story he invented to justify it) and looked the most actually edible (of the one’s they deigned to show at least). And I actually thought the little flying saucer on top was quite in keeping with the deconstructionist techniques they’ve been taught…

But could someone enlighten me as to the rationale for the ten ingredients restriction? It just seems silly, and stops them doing some of the more inventive things.

Is it about keeping production costs down? Because people can only remember ten things and any more will turn them off the recipes when they go up on site? To discourage them from using spices and making George’s palate tingle? I just don’t get it.

34 dmc { 06.14.10 at 7:11 am }

Add another boo to the chorus against the editors of this show. We are now down to 10 so there is NO excuse for not showing us all the dishes. They show 7, and there are three good and three bad. Only Adam’s was a red herring. Gosh, if you want a masterclass about how to leech all the suspense out of a show, just watch Masterchef.
And all this rubbish about not having time….did we really have to see the Callum breakdown TWICE? It was painful enough the first time.

35 Injera { 06.14.10 at 7:15 am }

dmc: Oh, so true. Annoying enough to show the whole Callum breakdown; insulting to show it twice. They made such a huge deal of it that I was convinced that Gary would pull a Matt and finish his assessment with “because it’s brilliant! You’re a genius!”. We never did see an actual critique of the dish, did we?

36 Kaylen { 06.14.10 at 7:51 am }

I love iced vovos. They always were a staple at any bake sale. :P

37 KC { 06.14.10 at 8:20 am }

I was so excited by last week’s Sunday ep that this week was back to normal. For one, I think Australia needs to update their food icons because most of the crowd there have never even tasted a chiko roll. And looking at the comments here, most people haven’t had one in a LONG time. I don’t even know what an Iced Vovo is (maybe cause I’m a Gen Y) and Golden Gaytimes are extremely yummy but how is it an Australian food icon? Although out of all of them, I would think the Gaytime would be the most appropriate. I wish Marion chose that because it would have been a really fun challenge.

Honestly, this challenge reminded me immediately of that Australian Food challenge way back and they both were pretty disappointing. I personally think its hard to do Australian food without being dated (not traditional but dated) and there isn’t much food that can really be considered Australian food.

The only good thing from this episode was the bottom 3. As much as I like Callum and Matthew, they have been under-performing but I am hoping with everything that Sharnee leaves. Now that most people have left, the difference between those that deserve to be there and those that have coasted through hiding behind other people’s mistakes is really obvious.

And I think from the results of the poll, its funny because the even-ness of Season 1 and 2 pretty much mean that its pretty even this year and last. I think Season 2 has had an overall better amount of contestants because I think people who think Season 1 was better don’t remember contestants outside of Justine or Chris or any of the other top players. But because the top tier of chefs in both seasons have been pretty even, I voted for relatively the same. Its just a personal opinion though and you can’t really compare unless you have past contestants when they were on the show verse contestants on this show now which is impossible.

38 AnnyB { 06.14.10 at 9:26 am }

Jonno’s Chiko roll to one member of our household bore a remarkable resemblance to Tom Piper Braised Steak and Vegetables (never eaten it, just looks like the picture on the tin). Remarkable how many people I know who haven’t eaten a Chiko Roll (and the ages range from 16 to over 60). Hmmm, maybe a little research is needed; but if I try Chiko Roll I would probably also have to try a Dagwood Pup (or is it a Dog). Shudder.

About Joanne’s dish in the invention test it looked rather like samosas, but it was just a quick glimpse.

39 Really awful { 06.14.10 at 11:17 am }

What’s next on the invention test? Dog poo, old chewing gum wads and toe jam.

40 Fides { 06.14.10 at 11:21 am }

AnnyB – you are so right! Jono’s dish did look like those tins of steak and vegies.
I wish they’d shown the tasting of Joanne’s samosas, or Claire’s which at one stage looked like san choy bow. Still don’t know how Alvin’s made top 3 because really, he reinvented steamed pork buns using beef, didn’t he?

Airwalk – I find Delish painful to watch also. Julia and Josh are so wooden! But I can’t watch Poh and Neil Perry together – last time I watched, I think I counted Poh touching him 7 times in one episode. The repeated putting her arm/elbow up on his shoulder and leaning her body in was particularly offputting… does she do that with everyone or is it just him?

41 AnonyMousse { 06.14.10 at 11:32 am }

NT Kate – yes, if you haven’t had Golden Gaytimes then your childhood actually was clearly deprived. Seriously, they’re great – and any ice cream that can still be popular with a name like Golden Gaytime would clearly have to be.

I think we’re forgetting that icon doesn’t necessarily mean ‘great food eaten by everyone’, it can just as easily mean ‘highly recognisable and remembered by random people-on-the-street’, which all 3 of these were if you’ve ever walked into a greasy snack shop or attended any sort of morning tea. or looked in any ice cream freezer at a general store.

And it’s certainly more of a cooking challenge to make something tasty out of a chiko roll than it would be to make a reinvention of, say, 3 iconic french dishes would be.

42 skye { 06.14.10 at 11:49 am }

I didn’t watch this last night (was out) but wasn’t sad as was quite glad to be missing Julie. Still cannot stand sight of her face. Sharnee to go, I hope. The other two callow youths do at least seem to have something going on, she just seems kind of there.

I do eat chiko rolls when hungover. I would call them iconic (and also secretly yummy)!

43 reality raver { 06.14.10 at 12:08 pm }

I reckon they should have had to do the iced vo vo as what would you do with that!
Maybe Chiko sponsored the episode hoping a bit of the Masterchef sparkle would rub off on their product. I am not surprised the contestants could not identify the ingredients in a chiko roll as they are indecipherable.

I think the ten ingredients limit is there so they don’t take twenty just to cover all their bases and then only use ten. I don’t have a problem with this as they are all on a level playing field. I wonder if basic ingredients like oil and flour are counted in the ten I think not.

44 Whist { 06.14.10 at 12:36 pm }

Felt sorry for Callum as I rate him when he is on his game. He takes direction well and is one of the only ones that would go the traditional cooking route (appretiship – low wage, screaming cook, yes chef!)

Callum follows a recipe well so he should be safe and Sharnee is lucky because the challenge involves pasta and we all know how Matthew butchers pasta!

45 rusty { 06.14.10 at 12:39 pm }

AnonyMousse’s ‘highly recognisable and remembered by random people-on-the-street”

could then include Chinese takeaway ( I know it’s not “Australian” but what really was? Damper and Cocky’s Joy? Everything was of English, then American)

I remember that and pies more than Chiko Rolls from my 60′s/70′s youth (’cause they were too vile too eat more than once!) Iced VoVo’s, too but I never had a Golden Gaytime. Cornetto’s (or was it Drumsticks?) were more popular in my neck of the woods.

I only saw the last minutes last night, but thank god the baby brigade are finally up against it. Callum to stay ( was’t there a spoiler a few weeks ago that preempted that?) and Matthew to go.

Sharnee will display her classic anonymity and survivor skills by being so forgettable that they won’t notice her dish at all, and she’ll stay.

Have already consulted the old Margaret Fulton for tonight’s challenge.

46 Anthony { 06.14.10 at 12:51 pm }

never had an iced vo vo, BUT I LOVE CHIKO ROLLS!!!!

47 Fides { 06.14.10 at 1:17 pm }

Sharnee will probably not even plate up the pasta and still get to stay. Or even bother to make it. In the pasta invention test, Gary basically talked her through the whole process and I remember he even threw flour on her dough to help her out. Stay out of it tonight Gary, please!

48 seepi { 06.14.10 at 1:23 pm }

Sadly I have eaten plenty of Golden Gaytimes (YUM!), Iced Vovos (my Nana’s favourite) and even Chicko Rolls – usually only tobe eated at railway stations, or from dodgy corner shops when it is the only Hot food on offer.

I would have said it contained mostly cabbage, then lamb and potato too – but I haven’t eaten one in a long time. I dunno how the botton can fall out – they always come with their own special paper bag that says Chicko Roll in orange. Perhaps they are only eaten in colder cities – the two advantages are they are hot, and the filing sticks to your ribs.

Less said the better about the skanky posters of blondes on bikes fondling chicko rolls…

49 AnonyMousse { 06.14.10 at 1:30 pm }

Well, I’ve never ever eaten a Chiko roll myself, but I still instantly recognised them when they were shown. However, perhaps that’s a sign of the four years of graveyard shifts (and their subsequent 2am visits to the only 24 hour greasy food shop nearby for ‘lunch’) I did at the start of my working life more than a sign of anything else.

50 pollywaffle { 06.14.10 at 3:04 pm }

Dont think the ‘Chicken Tonight’ generation are going to have a stroganoff app in recent memory to draw on

As for last night they’d have definitely triumphed if it was a choice between:

Fried Mars bar
Mc Feast
Philly sweet chilli dip

…all dinky di creations

51 pollywaffle { 06.14.10 at 3:11 pm }

Has Gary’s stand off attempt to get a pay rise ( oops I mean to get physio for his bodgey leg) been behind his julienned appearances on MC? I get the sense the butter love between the boys has curdled a bit

52 CG { 06.14.10 at 4:03 pm }

Polly, ha! I was thinking about that the other day: are all the judges paid equally? or is MP paid more, even though he appears less (although one could argue he appears more/larger when he does appear?). Matt seems to have snagged the major sponsorship dosh with his Handee Wipes advert? Are G&G prohibited from spruiking individual items lest one get a better deal than the other? If MC is raking in $100mil+ for Ch10 would love to know what these guys are making… The quick substitution of Matt Moran during Gary’s absence and then again in a chef challenge might be a tactic by Ch10 to remind G&G that they are replacable should they get too big for their britches (literally).

53 Airwalk { 06.14.10 at 4:53 pm }

Pollywaffle-fried mars bar would be on the scottish icons challenge…so think we have a new show Masterchef Icons?

54 akris { 06.15.10 at 11:07 am }

KC: maybe there could be a season 1 vs season2 challenge.. just one episode would be enough though.. they’ve done it a few times in Top Chef and they’re always quite fun and competitive. there could be face off between chefs that have similar food profiles, eg. Skye vs Poh.. the creative (food) artists.. etc.

55 RobI { 06.15.10 at 4:28 pm }

How did Alvin get in the top 3. His “story” apparently helped his creation win the day.
Well, when I listened to his story, he definately said that he recalled watching a small boy eating a Chiko Roll at a shop, and he recalled the sauce oozing from it!?!?!
In over 30 years of eating Chiko rolls (when there is nothing else left in the place that is hot!), I have never had sauce ooze from one. Mainly, because, they dont have any sauce! The show this year is becoming farcical, in its endeavour to cover every single group in society.They did it last year, and they are doing even more so this year. I wonder if Alvin will get his own cooking show on the ABC??

56 Jason { 07.01.10 at 8:50 am }

The ingredients of a chiko roll are on the back of a retail packet in coles or Woolworths. But for the record there is no potatos in it!

57 Noel Edmonds { 03.31.13 at 3:13 am }

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue together with your website in internet explorer, might check this? IE nonetheless is the market leader and a large component to other folks will miss your fantastic writing due to this problem.