Sarah Wilson Dumped From MasterChef Australia – Oh And So Has Steve Bisley

sarah wilson

Host of MasterChef Australia, Sarah Wilson, will be a one season wonder as Channel Ten and Fremantle Media announced today that there would be no host for Season two of the popular reality TV show.

Network Ten, chief programming officer, David Mott said, “Sarah Wilson has been an invaluable member of the MasterChef Australia team and she will be missed.”

“This decision has been a hard one to make but it became clear the appropriate role for Sarah was not achievable without dramatically changing the format.”

“Sarah has an impressive background with abilities that far outweighed her duties on the show. All parties agree another series that limited her input and expertise was not the best outcome.”

Sarah is currently considering another television project, the details of which she will announce shortly.

I don’t think anyone would disagree that she was underutilised and far too scripted.

Channel Ten’s Publicity department has been working overtime this week trying to turn shit stories into gold. One of them was the news that one of their “celebs” from Celebrity MasterChef, Steve Bisley had been charged with assaulting his ex-wife.

Ten quickly cut the cord and excised him from the show but said it was due to a “scheduling conflict” because of a series he was doing with the ABC.  An ABC spokesperson said this was a load of bollocks. (Source Daily Telegraph)

I mean seriously why can’t they just come out and say this is a family friendly show, and we don’t think it is appropriate that someone up on domestic violence charges is a part of it. That is not so hard is it?

1 CG { 09.11.09 at 11:39 pm }

Many of us predicted this would be the outcome and Sarah would only last one season. Hmm, I wonder if Sarah would have grounds to sue? I guess not if she only had a 1-series contract. She will be missing out on the big moo-la though as surely everyone renegotiated their contracts after the ratings success of MC1 and will be getting extra via the celebrity series, the talked-about kids MC series, etc.

From the press release it sounds like Ch10 is going to get her involved with another “project” as compensation for being dumped (and humiliated). But I really don’t think she has what it takes to front a series. She came across as flat and a bit of a ditz when she did open her mouth on MC1: I’m thinking of when she was quasi-judge at the wedding challenge.

With Sarah gone I think Ch10/Fremantle need to think about introducing a female judge to the panel. At times esp when it was just George and Gary it became a little too boys club for me which in turn resulted in some of the obnoxious flirting with Poh which I found very offputting and insulting.

2 Reality Raver { 09.12.09 at 12:15 am }

CG – Definitely agree with your idea of a female judge, as there could just be too much testosterone on the set.

3 Injera { 09.12.09 at 11:46 am }

Those farewell media releases sure do insult the intelligence of viewers, don’t they? “…invaluable member of the MasterChef Australia team” my arse. If she was invaluable, she wouldn’t be getting the boot, right? As CG notes, though, it removes the only woman on the non-competitor side of the fence. I do hope that changes.

4 sourkraut { 09.12.09 at 12:12 pm }

I heard from monumentally, impeccable sources (aliens told me) that the new co- hosting was going to Poh and the unspeakable Chris B
CG Agree with the need for a female judge, but who? M Fulton looked a bit like Mr Grace and if she was given a walking stick she could wave it round and mutter “you’ve all done veeerrrryyy well”. The fat broad in the glad rag dress is definitely out after her previous bullshit effort, and Maggie Beer is contracted to ABC. Iggerance prevents me naming any more (yep I dunno many) maybe Maeve O’M but she’d just give everyone 11 out of ten. Wade a minnit.. waddabout the little cutey on Ready Steady Cook, she couldn’t be worse than the two Gs.

5 Wurstsemmel { 09.12.09 at 5:40 pm }

-¦invaluable member of the MasterChef Australia team”- my arse.

Couldn’t have said it better, Injera. I have no idea what Ten could possibly think would benefit from Sarah hosting. Perhaps some touchy-feely, pop psych thinggy given the direction her regular column is taking. Sorry, but I find her column all a little too ‘Recycled Oprah’. If she really has the goods, I’d like to see them.

6 TDK { 09.13.09 at 12:18 am }

hallelujah

7 Anonymous { 09.13.09 at 4:39 am }

I’d love for them to make Matt Preston the host (as well as part-time judge), keep George, and replace Gary with a female judge. That’s probably an unpopular opinion, lol.

8 CG { 09.13.09 at 12:20 pm }

Female judge option: Christine Manfield, currently owner/chef of Universal restaurant in Sydney. Before this current gig, she owned and operated award-winning restaurant in London, etc. Not only would she bring the female perspective as a chef and restaurant operator (and author), she is from Sydney. The judging last time was too Melbourne-centric and it came out often in the judging and in the contestant selection (YMMV but as a non-Australian I think I pick up elements of Sydney – Melbourne bias more than the natives). Then again maybe Christine would be too intimidating and vetoed by G&G…(not by Matt though!).

9 CG { 09.13.09 at 12:35 pm }

to add: Christine Manfield’s cuisine has a large Asian element/influence; in fact one of her previous restaurants in Sydney (Paramount) and the one she ran in London (East&West) specialised in Asian “influenced” cuisine. So on MC George brings Greek, Gary brings more Aussie/British/European pub and contempoary food (as far as I can tell)… male or female, it would be good to have a judge with more knowlege of Asian cuisine and cooking techniques. I also think Christine is gay which would also bring another dimension to the judging panel.

10 reality raver { 09.14.09 at 2:04 pm }

CG – Your Christine Manfield’s suggestion is inspired. She is assertive and articulate. It would be a very nice balance to the George and Gary pervathon.

Apparently Sarah Wilson is going to foxtel Lifestyle to do a health and well being show. so that must be why she had the colonic she was talking about in one of her Sunday’s columns.

11 Anonymous { 09.15.09 at 9:02 pm }

I have been to one of Christine’s demos – and she would be great at it. Although, when she found out that the finger limes had been frozen and hence wrecked – she declared “f*cking bastards” and flinged it across the room – which was fabulous!! As long as they kept her true to form it would be great – but I doubt that family friendly hour could accomodate he colour. Her books and her restaurants are insane! To be honest, she is really above it. (She slams all of the chefs that have turned up to date!)

12 sourkraut { 09.16.09 at 9:51 pm }

I think a female Asian judge/demonstrator chef who specialises in South Indian or Sri Lankan food or a Middle East food specialist would be a wonderful change from the eternal modern French cuisine that seems to be all the rage. I absolutely love spicey food and its always terriffic to see it cooked on Maeve O’M’s show and to have contestants show that they can master these things would be more Masterchefish than cooking pizza and some of the other pretty ordinary things that were done on the first show