Masterchef Australia – Dani Got Gifted An Immunity Pin

“It is really quite strange to be cooking against an Olympian” said Dani. Or fortuitous considering it is a cooking competition not Wipeout. In fact the Masterchef Australia scandal today is not that the production company pays the contestant’s $500 a week (blog post following on that issue), but the fact that with only two weeks to go before the final that Dani got to go up against another amateur cook was outrageous.

Ok I like Eamon Sullivan and he is now 25 years old so is old enough to perve at, but he won Celebrity Masterchef not a Michelin Star.

Quite a few commenters have already raised this as an issue, and I agree. It is not fair on the other contestant’s remaining that Dani has been gifted another immunity pin. I am not saying she didn’t deserve to win it she did her Chocolate Delice looked much better than Eamon’s.

Davenports who sponsor Eamon will be happy he actually wears the product as when he bent down there was a great shot of his knickers – so no sponsored by pepsi but drinking coke scandal here.

Eamon and Dani had to cook the dish he won to get his Celebrity Masterchef title – Chocolate Delice. She got the recipe he did not.

The dish does look amazing with a salted caramel base, with a biscuit (I don’t think they made that element), creme brulee, mousse, and a ganache.

Dani who has been intensely cooking for the last seven months always had the advantage, even after she stuffed up her mousse and had to re do it.

Eamon over cooked his creme brulee. I noticed there was no coaching or shouting from the gallery on tonight’s episode for either competitor. Except for when Alana told him he had left the blast chiller door open.

Eamon’s cake ended up looking lop sided and collapsed  whereas Dani’s looked great, and her definition between layers was a highlight.

What I don’t get was how they could have judged Eamon’s so high considering his presentation. However he go all eights from the judges including Phillipa Sibley who was guest judge for a total of 24. Whereas Dani got one extra point with Matt Preston giving her a nine for her to get the pin.

By the way if you do want to eat Eamon Sullivan’s food he  is opening a cafe in Perth called Louis Baxter. He opened it with Laki Baker a Senior Producer of Masterchef. I thought he trained in Sydney so I am not sure how much cooking he will be doing there.

UPDATE: An article from the Daily Telegraph stating the producers are baffled that Dani is being so criticised and that she is a model contestant. They also try to beat up a death threat story, but it has no legs.

Also here is a link to the live chat the Daily Telegraph had with the lastest evictee Billy Law, he admits his spoiler tweet was a mistake.

UPDATE: Laki Baker who is Eamon’s partner in his cafe Louis Baxter, has not worked on Season 3 of Masterchef Australia.

1 Jo { 07.20.11 at 7:19 pm }

@Cynthia, in Sun’s defence, just lucking out on team challenges is not enough to completely avoid eliminations. There are the individual challenges too and Dani has gone into eliminations on the back of her own poor performances. Those times must have been hard for her since she couldn’t slag off team mates. In fact…she’s been pretty lucky with team challenges herself on occasions – she really messed up at the mines as vice-captain.

As for “looks, personality, talent”…looks is subjective and personally she doesn’t do much for me, personality I’ll give her but it’s an annoying one, and talent? I’m not sure she’s shown all that much aside from “inventing” a couple of things. And what is this theory that if you don’t like someone, it must mean you’re jealous? Can’t I just dislike them because they’re unlikeable? Or can’t I just be a misanthrope?

2 dmc { 07.20.11 at 7:31 pm }

Paul, changes are not just made when ratings dip – by then it’s usually too late. They are also made before ratings dip, to maintain position. See when they changed things this year to not allow contestants to return.

The ratings this year were never in question. Believe what you will, but the producers are interested in Masterchef as a longer term juggernaut and they are already planning future seasons. They knew the ratings would be big this year (how could they not be?). Their goal was to increase them and ensure future success.

The producers are people with ambition. They want to create a product that exceeds every year in terms of ‘quality’. ‘More impressive challenges’, ‘all about the food’ etc. Like everyone, they crave praise for their hard work, and by and large they haven’t received it for this season. Does anyone care about the winner? Not really, but they care about the standard of the cooking, that’s for sure. To suggest that all they care about is the ratings today is simply untrue.

3 AnonyMousse { 07.20.11 at 7:38 pm }

Hmm… if blue team doesn’t win tonight, we may have the shortest ever elimination episode tomorrow with 2 of the 3 in the red team having immunity pins

Edit: Wait, no, forgot that Ellie used her pin already (didn’t she only win it a couple of days ago?).

4 Toby Tom { 07.20.11 at 8:13 pm }

Anonymouse: They’ve only kept one immunity pin in play throughout the season, and when one is used, it’s practically assured that a new one is gonna be dissed out at the next immunity challenge. Thus more accusations of rigging/tampering.

5 lulu { 07.20.11 at 8:16 pm }

dmc, tell us again how caring, wonderful and hard-working the producers are (about 4 times so far) – oh, and the kicker….that they’re more concerned about quality than ratings. Hilarious. So what’s your actual job description at mc?

6 Toby Tom { 07.20.11 at 8:30 pm }

DMC – I think it would help if you guys show the more human side of the contestants, such as letting them do some cooking for a non-profit cause of their choice. It works well for TC Masters and you get a feel of the personality of the chef by the charity they support. At the least, I guess people want to feel good about watching the show at least. Even after 60+ episodes, I don’t feel I know much about these contestants or even their cooking skills. It would be good to think about how to inject more of the story of the cooks into the show, rather than squeezing it in when they leave. My 2 cents.

7 SaintsDeano { 07.20.11 at 8:36 pm }

I checked the definition for jumped the shark.

8 littlepetal { 07.20.11 at 9:43 pm }

Rating is one think. Without a good show, rating will drop. Just because it has been good before doesn’t mean people will keep watching even when it is crap.

9 inad { 07.20.11 at 10:33 pm }

NOOO!!!!! red team won tonight…… OMG………..

Does anyone think that this season’s MC it is more and more formatted like an infomercial, but shown at prime time?

10 brain dead dave { 07.20.11 at 10:33 pm }

How many people watch Ma$terchef just to avoid being the untouchable jackass around the water cooler who didn’t see what happened to who the previous night?

Golden boy is so versatile. He serves raw and burnt fish on one plate.

tonight was an infommercial for Quantas First Clar$e

11 Reality Raver { 07.21.11 at 2:20 pm }

BDD – I was thinking about Masterchef, as someone was asking me what my favourite TV shows were. I said currently The Amazing Race Australia, and then I thought about it, with all its faults Masterchef is still one of the best particularly in relation to production values. Obviously I am getting recap fatigue so will be glad when it finishes, however the New York eps were great. The problem with this year as has been commented by a lot of people of this blog. There is no stand out or people you really feel emotional about. Hayden and Dani are probably the highest profile, but I can remember very few dishes any of the contestants have cooked both good and bad. Whereas in other seasons I have and can still do so. Maybe my brain is just going.
I must confess I did have first class envy last night.

Casper – I know you and BDD a big enough to look after yourselves but if you don’t like each other try and ignore each other, there are plenty of other people to engage with please.

12 Casper { 07.21.11 at 2:26 pm }

RR – totally agree with your point and have no problem with doing that. How ever you should have really addressed that to both parties.

13 Reality Raver { 07.21.11 at 2:34 pm }

Casper – it should have read Casper and BDD

But the crux of it was ignore each other. And the other thing to any third parties that involve themselves on tiffs that occur now and then on the blog – stay out of it. As it is usually the third party that incurs my wrath.

14 Simonette { 07.21.11 at 4:33 pm }

Totally ridiculous show now – get back to the honesty of the previous two shows please, or is it too late! For me it is.

15 nnnat { 07.21.11 at 8:58 pm }

Omg take a chill pill guys its a fucking tv show! Wah Wah so Dani got her immunity pin easy… Gary defended the decision 2bring in Eamon cos his chocolate delice was the best dessert he’d had in the entire time of Masterchef. And also these are just amateur cooks & Masterchef as a whole thought it would be better this season to make it “fairer”. Obviously their fairness came a bit too late in the competition… But seriously none of us know who is pulling the strings with this puppet so why get so worked up??

16 NNat sucks { 07.21.11 at 10:09 pm }

nnat must work for MC, so glad to see so many think as I do, before reading this I thought I was alone, definitely it is a case of Danni speaks the most and shows more emotion so lets keep her on, and I cant even delve into the whole Eamon situation without wanting to lose my mind, **** this show and all their nonsene, who cares who wins now, it is all a sham

17 nnnat { 07.22.11 at 9:05 am }

get the fuck over yourself no i don’t work for Masterchef i just dont know why some of u are taking it so far & losing ur bloody heads about it. Like i said, we don’t kno who’s runnin this shit so why carry on that Dani’s a whinger & Gary & George are playin favourites & blah blah blah this show’s so crap but im still watching it? EDITING might hav sumthin 2do with it??

18 Fides { 07.25.11 at 1:36 pm }

Hey I was just thinking, after hearing Eamon’s name in the news today, is it possible he assumed he would be getting a recipe as well? Looking at the recipe, which calls for 1.3 L of thickened cream, I doubt he’d have made or eaten it that often in recent times if he was in training for the world champs.

19 Sandra { 11.24.11 at 7:23 am }

I liked the previous Australian Masterchef series (even the junior..) but this one is terrible. Yes we know its all stage managed etc. but really this is too much. Its a cooking competition where this time, you don’t have to be able to cook, most of the good cooks have been sent home. Danni’s braying laugh and very irritating voice, along with Ellie the ‘idiot’ (thank god shes not a ‘student nurse’ while shes doing this, patients are safe for the time being). This is more of a fix than ever, the ‘idiot ‘ cries when she doesnt get her own way, the ‘horse’ prattles on and on. ‘Idiot’ uses her ‘fixed’ immunity pin, and Billy gets sent home for producing a fair copy of the dessert in the elimination challenge, when the other ‘woman’ gives them a plate of slop and gets to stay. The same woman got Peter sent home, he did 3 good dishes in the elimination and she scraped 1). The Danni ‘horse’ is so pathetic, she let down the team on the team challenge, used her ‘fixed’ immunity pin to get out of an earlier elimination challenge, and then got handed yet another. I started watching the series, then recorded it so I could fast forward, now I have stopped even recording it. Garys still great, George – well mmmm, I suspect he’s been told to exaggerate the hand gestures and bouncing etc. (he looks demented), the big guy who dresses worse than the rest of them (forget his name), what’s with the smiley face for the ‘horse’ and ‘idiot’, he finds something good to say everytime. The hugging – let ‘idiot’ and ‘horse’ cry, stop encourging them, its pathetic. Sorry about the rant, but I dont watch a lot of TV, so feel cheated by this sham. (I was watching this from the UK where its still ongoing)