Masterchef Australia –

The silver fox Colin finally got some air time with both the mystery box and the invention test. It was a superfood mystery box with sardines, yoghurt, goji berries, lentils, kale. walnuts and sweet potato. His dish was tasted which was a Crumbed Sardines but it was Ben who won with Sardines with a Kale and Sweet Potato.

However the highlight of the tastings was when after they had finished tasting five dishes as they usually do the judges decided to pay Byron some respect by tasting his dish. His dish had been cobbled together in ten minutes after he had stuffed up his Goji Berry Creme Caramel. He had not been expecting to be chosen and had eaten most of it.

Ben did not get to pick the ingredient for the invention test as it was all about chocolate but it was a team challenge and he got to select his team of three as well as the others.

He picked Emelia and Jamie as he thinks they are the strongest cooks in the house. Not that we have seen any sign of that from Jamie.

Kira, Tash, and Tracy  were put together as he did not think they would work together as their personalities will clash. Clearly these girls are not friendly in the house.

He went with Laura, Byron and Sam, Brent Renae and Sarah and the final team was Colin Georgia and Amy.

Ben left dessert to Emelia whilst he and Jamie bumbled around trying to find venison. They could not work it out and ended up taste testing some red meat but thought it was not the game meat so decided to go for quail.

Kira’s team did manage to find venison and then the boys were embarrassed when it was pointed out by the judges that the meat in front of them was venison.

For dessert Kira, Tracy and Tash had made a Deconstructed Hazelnut Mocha which looked very nouveau on the plate. Matt thought it looked modern and said it was delicious and for main it was Thyme infused Venison with Chocolate Chutney. Matt said they did not get any chocolate. Gary said the brief has been missed.

Renae, Sarah and Brent made Jerk Chicken with Cocoa Chips. Gary loved the chocolate jerk spice, so take a bow Renae. Dessert was Bitter Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Dacquoise and again they loved it but did not like the terrine on the dish. This had been Brent’s doing.

Colin, Amy and Georgia made Chocolate Fettucine with Lamb. Gary told Colin that he did not like chocolate pasta but he loved this one. Dessert was Chocolate Fondant but it did not look that much ooze in the middle.

Ben and Jamie had overcooked their quail and the weeping Emelia with her curd filled tuille was weeping as she had not done as well as she thought did get praised for her inventive dessert.

Laura’s Basil Pannacotta with Lemon Curd Domes and white chocolate noodles was told by the judges it was the best pannacotta yet. Emelia was not happy to have lost her crown.  However their savoury dish of Chocolate Roulade with Peach, Beetroot and chocolate was not good even though Sam kept on saying she was happy with it.  She finally twigged that it was a disaster when Gary said that he did not like anything on the dish.

It was then an interesting dilemma on Masterchef Australia. Should the dish that showcased chocolate but was horrible be in the bottom or the dish that was nice but did not showcase the invention test ingredient chocolate be the one to take the team to the elimination challenge.

The judges decided to penalise the former which was Sam, Byron and Laura’s Chicken Chocolate Roulade. This meant they were were duking it out in the elimination pressure test. No surprise Laura was in tears considering her dish had been good.

Did the right team get selected?

1 Littlepetal { 06.09.14 at 10:23 pm }

Hope you are on the mend, Zhee.

2 daisy { 06.09.14 at 10:44 pm }

Great to have you back Zhee. Wishing you a swift recovery with nice people to look after you.

And yeah, Matt has been going a little crazy on the colour schemes.

3 anonymouse { 06.09.14 at 10:52 pm }

Ralphie- your comment is disgusting. Go back to 1934. That’s not the kind of thing you can say in 2014 without everyone thinking YOU are ‘sick and disgusting’

Great episode tonight and i was sorry to see Sam go- she seemed nice. I think Laura is lovely, what a sweet girl and she did a great job.

Can’t get on the Emilia bandwagon,she just seems so pleased with herself all the time and she is talked up more than what we see on the screen- both her dishes last night looked really average.

I like Colin, Georgia and the South African lady so looking forward to tomorrow night!

4 Evan { 06.09.14 at 10:55 pm }

I take my hat off to all 3 participants tonight, that was a bloody hard pressure test they had to complete.
Probably a fair result in the end!
Laura was a long way in front, and Byron made a few less mistakes than Sam.
There is no way he will win Masterchef, BUT I can’t help liking Byron and feeling some empathy for him – he is not the most confident guy in the world, certainly not as sure of himself as say Ben or Brent.

5 Zhee { 06.09.14 at 11:52 pm }

Thanks Littlepetal and daisy. :) I think I’m doing alright although sitting is quite a torture. Thank god for tablets. :) Thankfully I did not have to stay in the hospital after the surgery (turns out the French send you home the same day after you have your gall bladder removed, in Germany they keep you in for 3 to 7 days^^). The only bad thing is the anesthesia, don’t need that one ever again in my life.

anonymouse, regarding Ralphie, I think it’s the best thing to report it to Reality Raver so she can take care of it. :)

6 daisy { 06.10.14 at 12:00 am }

Yeah, Zhee anesthesia isn’t nice. I always ask them to take me to a happy place first. :). :). :)

7 Jay { 06.10.14 at 12:10 am }

Be kind to yourself Zhee – it takes at least 6 weeks to recover from an anaesthetic. All good wishes for you recovery.

8 Zhee { 06.10.14 at 12:15 am }

Thank you Jay. :)
Daisy, it was only bad because I had a panic attack when I woke up again. Felt totally disoriented etc. And I couldn’t speak because they had pulled the tube out of my throat and it was totally sore (and it seems that what I spoke was German because I couldn’t remember any French in that situation so no one understood me). But hey, the morphine I got afterwards in my room was great. 😀 Plus Arcade Fire on my ipod and I was on a pretty good trip and felt like a “Reflektor”.

9 daisy { 06.10.14 at 12:15 am }

Zhee, just watching the ‘live TV’ ep of 30 Rock. I think they are all in the same happy place. This season is nuts. I did enjoy Alex Baldwin doing Dean Martin and the cigarette promoting doctor.

10 daisy { 06.10.14 at 12:17 am }

It horrible waking up.
BTW, did you here Tracy Jordan was involved in a very serious car accident. I wonder how he is doing.

11 Simon { 06.10.14 at 12:18 am }

Zhee, recovering from anesthetics is tough. When I went through it I was nauseous for at least a couple of weeks and all I could stomach was mostly toast and mashed potatoes.

Hope you have a swift recovery.

12 Jay { 06.10.14 at 12:26 am }

I’ve heard French painkillers are far more effective than what were given here (or maybe they’re just more generous with them) so no wonder you were happy when you got back to your room!

13 Zhee { 06.10.14 at 12:32 am }

Yeps, read it on imdb. Read like it was a really horrible accident. :(

I’m thankfully only nauseous due to the missing gall bladder. I have a hard time of keeping in food. All the people I know didn’t have those problems. Dairy products are the worst, then come noodles. So I’m currently drinking smoothies and self made juices.

I guess it’s not the best thing to watch a show like Masterchef while you can’t eat. I’m soooo hungry and craving the food they present. But to be honest it makes it more obvious now how much fat/oil they use on that show.

Btw, I kind of get the feeling that Jamie will win this year. -.- Barkeeping hipster dad with a sob story (aka child is sick).

14 Zhee { 06.10.14 at 12:36 am }

Jay, the French doctors are prescribing tons of antibiotics and pain killers (and on top of that are quite generous with sick notes). That’s pretty common, like in Ireland, where you can buy pain meds in the supermarket. Thankfully in Germany, lots of doctors have a more homoeopathic approach because they realize that the more of those strong meds they give you the higher the chances are for building up a resistence.

15 Eliza { 06.10.14 at 12:39 am }

Zhee! I have missed you.. I hope that you feel better soon!

When I was in year 7 I had thumb surgery (haha odd, I know.. my thumb couldn’t really straighten) and although not as major as your surgery, when I woke up from the anesthetic, I was a shocker. Asking people the same questions 3 times over because I couldn’t distinguish between dreams and reality. I was in there for hours.. even younger kids left before me! :S

I still haven’t been bothering with MC but caught most of tonight’s episode and as soon as they mentioned bones and there was a bone, it was obvious who was going! Byron reminds me of the Sam of season 1 but I am guessing with some better cooking skills.

16 Jay { 06.10.14 at 12:48 am }

Germany and Swtzerland both have much better approach to medicine – using both homeopathic and ‘modern’ medicine in conjunction with each other. The Paracelsus clinic in Switzerland has had great results treating cancer using the combined approach. Maybe in the future we’ll see more of that offered as an option here.

17 daisy { 06.10.14 at 12:49 am }

When I wake up I just want to chat and all the nurses seem like ministering angels.

I can be very compliant when I am out of it.

18 Jay { 06.10.14 at 12:58 am }

A compliant daisy?????

19 daisy { 06.10.14 at 1:06 am }

It takes fairly heavy sedation. :)

20 daisy { 06.10.14 at 1:15 am }

I think Zhee has nodded off. Good, she needs her rest. Night all.

21 Benji { 06.10.14 at 2:36 am }

Now why would you go all through all that trouble to cook sardines in whey, and then waste the chance to you call your dish Little Fish Muffet? Sigh~

The editing in the Nobu elimination challenge made it really obvious who was leaving halfway into the episode. Good to note that the other contestants will still yell out to those cooking, even if they’re in another room, can only see them on television screens and can’t actually hear them.

One thing that disappointed me terribly was MasterChef’s endorsement of Nobu. Nobu himself was a really good guest chef. But his restaurants serve up endangered animals on their menus. I’m not super fussed about eating animals in general, but endangered species should not be on the dinner table. That seems obvious enough, right?
For all of MasterChef’s tropes on sustainability, chefs and restaurants which contribute to the extinction of animals should not be featured and exalted on the show.

22 Sandii { 06.10.14 at 6:43 am }

I have learnt never to leave a mobile phone next to someone who has been under anesthetic. When mr Sandii had a hip replacement he pretty much rang everyone in his phone book and then was shocked when he had a $200 bill. He can’t remember any of it. My parents got a very chatty phone call.

23 Littlepetal { 06.10.14 at 9:32 am }

My first experience with anaesthetic was horrible. Just before I was totally knocked off, I wanted to scream to the surgeon to stop the surgery as I was feeling terrible! Couldn’t say a word of course. That feeling was horrible and stayed with me for ever.

Now I am anxious if I need to have anaesthesia and they will give me a sedative before the anaesthesia.

No problems now and luckily I don’t suffer too much from the anaesthesia. My pain threshold is pretty high and didn’t require much of the on demand analgesic.

With 3 surgeries in 2012, I think I have enough of anaesthetic in my system!

I know a lady who recently have a hip replacement done. She is a health guru and only have the surgery with an epidural anaesthesia.

24 Simone { 06.10.14 at 10:16 am }

I love Colin but mostly I am wondering why the HELL (and that’s not the word I would have preferred), but why the HELL the tenplay website is so bloody useless? Every time I am trying to watch a missed episode it cocks up, I have never managed to watch an episode of anything all the way through. I have given up for today. Can’t watch it live on tv, can’t watch it online either, waste of time.

25 Jay { 06.10.14 at 1:53 pm }

Simone all I can say is lucky you can come to RR for the recaps.

26 Anonymous { 06.10.14 at 2:27 pm }

Or you could watch the repeats the following morning on Ten at 11.00, etc.

27 Smythe { 06.10.14 at 3:51 pm }

I’m watching MC US online right now. The red & blue teams have to cook for 500 soldiers using field kitchens.

28 Zhee { 06.11.14 at 1:28 am }

Littlepetal, sounds horrible. :S Before my surgery I was waiting infront of the OR with the catheter already set up etc and there was a little child a few meters from me screaming and crying all the time. No nurse showed up to look at that little boy (he was 4 or 5 I think). It made me so nervous. 😉 Plus I felt horrible because I didn’t look after him.
It was my first surgery and I wanted to run off as well. I really was a nervous wreck. :)

Smythe, MC US, I hate it but still I’m watching it… The tone is too aggressive for me and it annoys me how they create their villains. Last year had a big, angry woman as the villain. She freaked me out and was the reason why I watched the show fast forwarding through most of the parts.

29 daisy { 06.11.14 at 1:30 am }

Hope you had a good day, Zhee.

30 Anita { 06.18.14 at 9:20 pm }

Emilia all the way – watching you on TV every night and we love you on the show. Can’t believe how talented you are and best of all we know you. Amazing Stuff.

31 Carole { 07.10.14 at 6:04 pm }

Poor Tracey, that would have been very painful. TV Week said it was the worst any contestant had ever been injured.

My favourite actually would have been the red teams, as I love prawns. Not overly fussed on soups, unless I’m sick with the flu. The one with the meatballs might have been ok.

I felt so bad for the red team, to only get 11 votes, how humiliating. Surely their food wasn’t that bad.

Tonights challenge looks absolutely ridiculous. Up there with last weeks recipe split in 3 parts & the one early in the series where they had to remember everything without writing anything down.