Masterchef Australia – Is Rishi Unbeatable At This Stage?

Rishi had the advantage last night as he is about the only contestant who can read a recipe that is not in a 4 Ingredients cookbook.

The Heston Blummenthal recipe for the Jubilee Trifle was complex and long. That is why they were split into three teams with two hours to complete it in. Rishi was bossing around his team mates Christina and Daniel around, probably related to the scientific boner he got when he saw all the beakers foaming when he walked in, and then Heston on top of that! For those who don’t know Rishi is an organic scientist.

The dish did need someone to take the lead. Kelty appear to be the bossy one of the red team. His team mates were Lynton and Samira. Whereas there appeared to be no one taking the lead on the girls team of Lucy, Emma and Noelene.

Props to Noelene for being the only one not to fan girl over Heston, in fact she asked him to get the cream for her out of the fridge. Noelene was in a bit of a flap not working out that the dairy goods might be in the fridge! At one stage it looked like Lucy was going through early menopause she was hot flushing so much.

She was making the strawberry jelly bottom and was concerned it was not going to set which would mean the saffron custard would leak through it which it did. This occurred for the red team as well, but not for the yellow team.

Rishi had read the recipe and told Daniel to cook it longer to get the desired consistency. Theirs was perfect except for Daniel’s rose petals.

The red team was good except Kelty had mis-read the Strawberry Jelly ball recipe and had not put in a enough gelatine.

In the end the yellow team won and they will get the opportunity to win an immunity pin for each of them. Happy that Christina and Rishi may be able to a pin, not so happy that Daniel may get one.

1 The Jazzcat { 08.05.13 at 11:17 am }

Sigh!!! Hopefully it won’t be a team immunity challenge tonight! I would like to see Christina in the final.
When is the next elimination – time for Kelty to be gone – he should have never even been in the top 15 let alone the top 10!

2 brain dead dave { 08.05.13 at 11:23 am }

Christina and Rishi would be worthy ammunity winners. Dirty Dan…no.

Time for a Kelty cull.

3 Andrea, the other one { 08.05.13 at 11:43 am }

Daniel, riding the coat tails of others. Waste of cooking space. How can he think of himself as a serious contender. And get a haircut, your fringe annoys me.

Lynton, why didn’t you tell Kelty that he was putting in too little gelatin, if you could recite the recipe at the presentation of the team’s trifle.

Agree, time for a Kelty cull.

4 Joseph Skyrim { 08.05.13 at 11:49 am }

I doubt any of them will beat Heston tonight. The man’s more insane scientist than chef. I like Lucy’s comment on seeing the test tubes and stuff… “my worst nightmare. I don’t like science, that’s why I went on a cooking show – not a science show!”

But MasterChef tries to be everything Lucy. 😛

Rishi can still be beat. He’s only as good as his last dish and it only takes 2 flops (1 in finale week or if he is in a losing team challenge) to see him gone. At this stage it looks like it would need to be self-inflicted though!

5 bron { 08.05.13 at 11:50 am }

i’m so conflicted because i love dan but he really is riding the coattails of others.
at this point in time, rishi has it in the bag but honestly, i’d be happy either him, lynton or christina winning it.

6 brain dead dave { 08.05.13 at 11:54 am }

I’ve long thought Kelty’s balls were made from jelly.

Yes, Joseph. Let’s get real here. There’s no way Heston will lose tonight short of him curling up and dying in the Ma$terchef Kitchin.

7 Simone { 08.05.13 at 12:15 pm }

Why are they trying to create some sort of suspense from the idea of pitting a man with 5 michelin stars against three people who cook at home for their friends and still don’t know how to make damper, jelly, or a decent pizza? What is going on here? The only way that could be an amusing or interesting competition is if Heston was asleep. What a sham. How stupid for Heston, too, having to appear alarmed at the idea of these utter amateurs ‘ battling it out’ against hm. I’m disgusted. This is stupid.

Also: yet another team bloody challenge. Have there been any that aren’t team challenges? And what’s with the dicky way of deciding team colours this time – pour a test tube into a beaker and see what colour it turns. F*** me, are we on the Curiosity bloody show or something?

And that trifle didn’t seem very hard to me. Three people and two hours to create one trifle with four layers. Ho-hum. Not that hard, really! Some strawberries simmered in vodka and sugar, a custard with saffron in it, a single layer of biscuit, some cream and some foody doo-dads. Why is that difficult? I could actually do that myself and I’m not a contender. I have been avidly enjoying the stupid of this show all season but it’s even starting to get a bit beyond me now.

8 abc { 08.05.13 at 12:41 pm }

last year andy did not deserve to win. Should have been between julia, amina and ben. the others were all one type. Ben i agree went on to cook mexican in the 1st half of the series but ended up cooking so many cusines. And another thing is that ben used to cook mexican in the mystery box challenges. He needs to be given credit for turning whatever ingredient given into classic mexican. For some reason i just cannot like andy. Seemed too proud to me.
This season will probably go to a girl going by the MC pattern. So i feel it should be cristina. But MC might just have a male winner to change their pattern and surprise people. So maybe rishi. I hope it’s rishi. The gud once rarely win. So Daniel has full chance of winning. :(
I also hope my words for ben does not make me from tassie coz i am not. :)

9 brain dead dave { 08.05.13 at 12:49 pm }

I am worried that Rishi seems to be on his own in front.

But then so were Marion Grasby and Mindy. I hope $hine don’t get fishy with Rishi.

If you’re up for it, gice … atm there are a few ex Ma$terchef contestants appearing on Justine $chofield’s show. Taco Ben and Kylie last week.

10 Joseph Skyrim { 08.05.13 at 1:01 pm }

I like Justine and her show. She’s very watchable. Still think she should have won S1. Some of the other MC’s also had shows (seemingly with more funding: overseas stuff or live audiences) – they didn’t really seem as appealing.

BDD – as for Heston curling up into a ball and dying, that’s unlikely. If he’s cooking that means he’s not tasting his competitors potentially awful and deadly dishes. ;p

I’m really backing Kelty now. Not for his cooking ability per say, but just to show $hine that there’s something wrong with their system if he does.

11 Carole { 08.05.13 at 1:19 pm }

I agree, unless Heston stuffs up majorly, they have no hope in hell of beating him.

I agreed with Nolene, I don’t understand how the jelly could have set without gelatine. But the other team managed it somehow. I noticed Rishi read the recipe properly when he told Daniel to leave it on the stove till it thickened more. Nolene just read out the bit about leaving for 20 mins. Why didn’t she call Heston over and ask about the consistency and if it was ready to take off. They usually do that.

12 Evan { 08.05.13 at 1:43 pm }

Rishi is so far ahead of the others left on the show, in terms of culinary ability, that it is almost inconceivable that he won’t win Masterchef 2013.
But then again, I thought Vern was a sure thing to get to the last 3, and we know how that one ended up LOL
Sadly I suspect that the remaining episodes of this season will be contrived in such a way that Rishi gets punted before the finals week, and instead the likes of Kelty, Noelene and Emma will be fighting it out for the title.
The following should no longer be in this series: Emma, Kelty, Noelene, Daniel, Samira
A better final 8 would have been: Rishi, Lynton, Vern, Christina, Lucy, Lilliana, Pip, Nicky or Dan

13 Veronica { 08.05.13 at 1:49 pm }

I’m struggling to see what each of the contestants did for 2 hours last night. I thought all the trifles looked mushy.
And how does peering through an oven door whilst squatting on the floor make things cook any faster? Honestly, even Lynton is annoying me now!

14 Anonymous { 08.05.13 at 2:15 pm }

Another theory: Kelty and Noelene are being kept around for comedic value, rather than any actual culinary skills they might have.
Kelty’s claim last night that Rishi was the only threat to him winning Masterchef(now Vern has gone home) made me laugh out loud – Kelty’s confidence is not matched by his actual ability.
Samira is as pushy and unlikable as ever, Daniel is obviously only still there to keep the teen girls watching, and Emma again makes me wonder how on earth she won an immunity pin.

15 LB { 08.05.13 at 2:37 pm }

Daniel would have to be the luckiest contestant around. It’s a wonder he didn’t fall to the floor sobbing in gratitude at being on a team with Rishi & Christina, the two best out of a very pedestrian bunch.

So, another conspiracy theory :) Was Christina’s past revealed in the media last week to ensure no embarrassing “a close friend confided” type of stories regarding the winner?

16 Anna { 08.05.13 at 2:48 pm }

If Rishi get’s the ammunity pin again, it’s rigged

No one should ever be able to beat Heston. The man is a genius

The ads could be misleading.. Jowlsy spewing crap like it’s too close, could mean between the contestants. Will see tonight

Surprised muppets got as much done as they did with Heston in the room LOL

17 brain dead dave { 08.05.13 at 2:55 pm }

Jowl$y: “It’s too close ….to a decomposing cow pat for me to possibly taste”

Last night he bleated something like :

“Don’t let this trifle get you into strifle”

Here, Jowl$y and taste this rifle.

18 Bel { 08.05.13 at 3:11 pm }

I completely agree that none of these people should be able to beat Heston… but I’m sure in previous seasons contestants have ‘beaten’ the professional chef in these immunity challenges? Someone jog my memory?

On sheer all-round kitchen ability, Rishi should win. Thus he probably won’t. He can read properly, think quickly, and doesn’t rely on his background in Indian food. And he can lead a team without them all hating his guts, so it seems. Given Heston is supposedly self-taught, Rishi should be able to waste him when it comes to ‘molecular gastronomy’ (bleurgh, I’m not into this trick cookery they all love).

A friend went to Heston’s Fat Duck restaurant and the meal was the place setting- i.e. you eat the plate, cutlery, napkin etc. What a toss. For 150 pounds a head. F*** that for a game of soldiers.

19 Culinary Boner { 08.05.13 at 3:40 pm }

“Has anyone else noticed that poor Lynton is looking paler and sicklier as the weeks drag on? Fair enough that he’s lost his tan being indoors so much, but it’s more than that. He’s not looking well.”

Fair call.
Maybe there’s a Succubus prowling the MCA share house?

20 Anna { 08.05.13 at 3:45 pm }

Sorry Bel, I’d eat cutlery, napkin, plates and food that looks like one thing and is actually something else.

It’s an experience… Hell I’d name a kid Heston just to dine at his restaurant…

21 Carole { 08.05.13 at 3:51 pm }

Marion beat one of the professional chefs in s3, can’t remember which one though. I think someone else may have too, but not 100% sure.

No, I have no interest in going to Heston’s restaurant either. I want my desserts to look like a dessert and my savoury food to look like savoury food. His food is just too weird for me.

22 Littlepetal { 08.05.13 at 3:54 pm }

They will make sure one of them will win the immunity pin tonight. Not like it has never done before. Marion won over the celebrity chef from Melbourne.

Heston did say that it was quite difficult that day because he doesn’t know where things were.

The hardest day of filming for Blumenthal was the immunity challenge, where three contestants cooked an entree, a main or a dessert and he had to cook all three, having never set foot in the show’s pantry.

“I just didn’t know where anything was,” he explained. “I didn’t even know where the pots and pans were. I knew there were some shelves, you’re looking for a grater and can’t find a grater. I’d run into the larder and get memory loss. That was very chaotic I’d have to say.”

Thus at least one immunity pin will be given out.

On the MC website- not sure why a certain contestant still has his/her photo on and not blacken out. Someone is coming back again????

Not to disappoint, it is still team challenges next week :)

Also now I know why Emma has so many votes on here. Her FB page has been asking her fans to come here and vote for her !!!!

23 Ruby { 08.05.13 at 3:56 pm }

That was the chef at MoVido in Melbourne that Marion beat.

24 Anna { 08.05.13 at 3:56 pm }

Marion beat Frank Camorra in season 2

Gotta love wikipedia :-)

25 Littlepetal { 08.05.13 at 3:56 pm }

When has MC not been rigged???

26 Ruby { 08.05.13 at 3:57 pm }

Snap, Anna.

27 Anna { 08.05.13 at 3:59 pm }

Ruby few seconds apart :-)

28 Anna { 08.05.13 at 4:00 pm }

Heston can cook with his eyes shut!!!

MC will keep viewers guessing till the last second. Will have to listen to all 3 stooges bleating crap, especially Jowlsy

29 Bel { 08.05.13 at 4:08 pm }

Ahh, thanks for that… now I remember Marion winning over the MoVida guy.

Anna@20, yeah, I do see what you mean about the experience… I’d probably quite enjoy it if I wasn’t paying.

Anyhoo, I’m off to deconstruct a coffee and piece of vegemite toast.

30 Littlepetal { 08.05.13 at 4:18 pm }

Heston can cook with his eyes shut!!! Really????

31 Daze { 08.05.13 at 4:34 pm }

RR, too funny
“Rishi was bossing around his team mates Christina and Daniel around, probably related to the scientific boner he got when he saw all the beakers foaming………”

Anna @20 lol, heck I’d love the experience to eat at his restaurant too, you’d probably get a freebie if you told Heston you’d name a kid after him !

Monday 12th, The Palms Hotel, Atlantis – Dubai – finally! Thursday 15 some contestants are flown to Paris with Matt – per TV Week

32 Anna { 08.05.13 at 5:03 pm }

Daze, don’t want freebies, just the chance to eat his food… totally star struck LOL

33 Priyanka Chopra { 08.05.13 at 6:29 pm }

@Simone You have nailed it right on!

A man with 5 Michelin stars competing against 3 utter amateurs is like expecting no less to be a brain surgeon in your first week of apprenticeship!

Of course, the random selecting of team mates was supposed to appeal to Heston’s Blumenthal style of cooking, but it really looked more like some strange chemist lavatory than having anything to do with modern molecular gastronomy.

Honestly, cooking hasn’t really become a science, it’s not really even an art, it’s just adding food combinations, some prep work and assembling. Take Americans, how many of them have eaten 99 billion hamburgers, and you know these cooks and chefs are nothing more than robotic assemblers, as high school students.

If you think about it more, you might actually question the whole fast food industry, given pink slime (ammonium hydroxide), genetically modified organisms, artificial coloring and dyes, stink reducers, thickening agents, propylene glycol, ammonia, azodicarbonamide, dimethylpolysiloxane, disodium inosinate, shellac, silicon dioxide, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, preservatives, flavor enhancers, sweeteners, and more. But wait, there is NO ham in hamburgers, and it’s been often discovered to actually consist of horsemeat accordingly by DNA analysis.

Of course, this just shows how fast food eaters truly have no idea what they’re eating!

By the way, what are the secret ingredients used in Coke Cola? Should 7 billion individuals be drinking a black box beverage, given it’s been reported as a method of population control or was that just made up by the Pepsi consortium to switch us all over to their brand?

I don’t know about you, but MasterChef is just pushing what sponsors are selling. We never seen on the show how food can be based upon therapy for treating food allergies. Of course, while I am on this topic, lets include how food can establish a homeostasis equilibrium, which is something the modern medical profession or industry hasn’t considered or achieved.

Why must food always be about FUN and FAT, why not something healthy and healing? Maybe it’s just as easy as simply picking what is RIPE, eating it, to just discard it somewhere else, where it goes another tree for FREE? What have we given up in this modern world where everything now cost an arm or a leg?

I would like to see more varieties of foods like fruits, nuts, sprouts, seeds and algae used in recipes as compared to white bleached flour, animal shoulders, legs, arms, ribs, wings, rumps, tongues, brains, tails all laden with cholesterol!

How about some ancient food therapeutic recipes used to treat diseases! The truth is today, our food has been corrupted, tortured, injected and drugged! Is it any wonder why so many Australians are getting cancer?

We need an economy and a food based diet that includes a conscience!
What do you think about food healing YOU?

34 Anna { 08.05.13 at 6:32 pm }

Priyanka Chopra, you aren’t serious are you????

Cooking is an art. Try eating food at a good restaurant. Prior to that make sure that your palate is not dead

35 emp { 08.05.13 at 7:43 pm }

if heston loses any course this show will officially be a joke. right now it’s an unofficial joke.

36 daisy { 08.05.13 at 7:57 pm }

Joseph@10. I told you we think alike.
After Neha kept getting saved over others, I threw in the towel and wanted her to win for the same reason that you are now going for the Kelt.
BTW Like Noelene, I wouldn’t be changing my trifle recipe either. Well maybe a little bit. I liked the look of the compot, but I like more cake in my trifle.

37 Littlepetal { 08.05.13 at 8:10 pm }

I want the final to be between Kelty and Noelene.

38 Anna { 08.05.13 at 8:27 pm }

Seriously, 2 stooges judging Heston’s food is insulting. Now they are comparing Heston’s creations against amatas?

This year is seriously wrong….

39 Anna { 08.05.13 at 8:28 pm }

emp, Gary and Jowlsy judging Hestons dishes is a sad joke

40 emp { 08.05.13 at 8:34 pm }

wow daniel wins out of the three amatuers…lmfao

41 Anna { 08.05.13 at 9:09 pm }

His dish did look better then Rishi’s. Then again i thought Christina did better then the other 2

Obviously, the stooges think that he needs saving and she doesn’t

42 Simone { 08.05.13 at 9:16 pm }

Lol Rishi’s snowman.

43 Evil Ed { 08.05.13 at 10:14 pm }

Really hoping Noelene and her old biddy act gets the boot this week.