Masterchef Australia – Spewing Over Seafood

Sometimes Masterchef reminds me of when you eat out somewhere fancy where there is foam on a plate with fois gras, but all you want is a steak with chips and a glass of red. In short I was yearning for the Sunday night simplicity of the mystery box and invention test. However they were off to cook in Western Australia. The Western Australian Tourism Commission policy this year must be to get on as many reality cooking shows as possible. First up they had the My Kitchen Rules crew over there and now Masterchef.

The four best cooks from the previous week were selected to go business class. It must have killed the other contestants to see Kelty the non-contender selected, but he did bust out that fig and gorgonzola pizza. The other three were Christina, Rishi and Samira. Not really sure what Samira did that was outstanding but maybe she was just consistent and performed well in the pizza challenge. Or maybe she was being rewarded for cooking middle eastern on Italian week.

The first challenge was in Fremantle with the contestants having to cook for 30 fishermen who would be deciding the winners. The two teams were also going to have to get their own catch.

Half of each team would go out on the trawlers and half would go off shopping. The budget was $200.

The teams were selected by randomly pull aprons out of a basket. Predictably Emma and Jules squealed when they realised they were on the same team. Noelene was captain of the red team and she was happy to get the opportunity to be bossy, and Samira was captain of the blue team and she was unhappy about it. Jules started white anting her pretty quickly. “Her record with seafood is a little concerning” (Ed. Note – Yes I do realise the contestants are talking after the challenge is completed).

In a blast from the past Josh from MC1 was a guest on the show to help the red team fish.

Noelene was controversial from the get go. She decided to take only three team members on the trawler to fish and prep the seafood, and Totem was not happy that he was not one of them. But maybe she had remembered how he had butchered that flathead in the relay challenge. Funny how George Calombaris did not get upset about the wastage of food in that episode!

She took Lynton and Vern with her. Samira decided to stay on dry land and sent Lilian, Jules, Pip and Rishi. Each team only gets one drop of the nets. Though Noelene was more concerned about dropping her guts into the ocean. Rishi and Pip were also both puking on the other boat. I know it is reality TV but I am sure the people eating their dinner did not appreciate actually seeing the vomit project out of their mouths.

Blue pulled their net up it first only looked like seaweed but there were some scallops, prawns and some small fish.

The red team left their nets down longer which meant they had less time for the other half of the team to shop at Coles. However the strategy worked and they got a huge haul of whitings, scallops, and prawns. This big haul and and one person down on the boat meant they were still prepping seafood unti 30 minutes before serving.

The red team were keeping it simple with prawns two ways, one grilled the other wok fried, scallops seared in a butter sauce, deep fried whiting and calamari. It should be noted Noelene told them to dump the squid as they were running out of time, however Vern decided to ignore her. He was either going to be a hero or a villain in the end he was a hero. They served it with a fennel and orange salad and potatoes.

Jules and Liliana had wanted to keep it simple on the blues team but they were not the captain. Jules thought Fattoush Salad was with fish flaked on it was too complex. It is just the standard Lebanese salad. They also made a middle eastern rice dish and a thai broth.

It was all a bit of an adrenaline rush as there was only an hour to cook.

The blue teams food looked fantastic except for the broth. Gary loved the scallops and the rice dish. The judges did not like the bread that went with the fattoush. Matt Preston said there was more things he loved in the blue team but he thought the red team had a more balanced menu.

The red team ended up winning with 21 of the 30 votes. At the start of the challenge they were told the winning team member’s would have the opportunity to win an immunity pin. However the fact is only one of the team will get the opportunity to get it in a cook off against Guillaume. They will have to pick who that will be.

Masterchef Australia on Sunday to Thursday nights at 7.30pm.

1 daisy { 07.01.13 at 3:59 pm }

No it says, If you can read this, you’re too close”.

2 Georgie { 07.01.13 at 4:00 pm }

That one is across the back of his neck bdd. That’s why he wears the cravat.

3 daisy { 07.01.13 at 4:25 pm }

“Mind your step. Man hole.”

” Extra long vehicle ahead”.

“Small packages only”.

4 Andrea { 07.01.13 at 4:28 pm }

Why was Samira advertising “Chanel” on her headgear?

5 daisy { 07.01.13 at 4:33 pm }

I was wondering if it was real, Andrea, or a knock-off. Either way itseems like a dodgy choice.

6 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 4:33 pm }
7 Carole { 07.01.13 at 6:58 pm }

Welcome Rishi, if it’s really you, nice to see you here. Lucky for me I had already had my dinner. Felt really sorry for you guys though.

8 Anna { 07.01.13 at 7:01 pm }

Have a feeling that Noelene will send Lucy or Christina to face Guillaume. May be she will even decide to go herself…

The only way the amata will beat him if they judges will decide to hand out another pin

Seriously, a useless amata going up against a classically trained french Chef and beating him??? Taking into consideration the number of awards and accolades that Guillaume has not to mention his standing in the food industry…

Will MC prove that they have integrity tonight????

9 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 7:17 pm }

The contestant is not cooking against Guillaume but he is helping the contestant to cook against Russell Blaikie from Must Winebar, and with a 30 minute advantage.

Most of the immunity challenges against the chefs were rubbish. They just want to give out the pins

10 JStar { 07.01.13 at 7:18 pm }

Hmm, let’s see if I understood what happened. Criticisms of this year’s contestants are mainly centred around the lack of skill compared to previous years. Contestants stumbling badly and only serving simple dishes. Nothing too complicated or edible given the lack of recipes on the MasterChef website.

The Blue Team were organised and cooked an “exotic” menu that really only Matt knew what the dishes were – (George clearly didn’t get fat being a foodie and trying food outside his restaurant’s menu). Only criticism was that the bread didn’t work on the salad. No criticisms about how the seafood was prepared or cooked. The red team were led poorly by Noelene and were slow in preparation. But the team cooked a “simple” menu that frankly looked like a slightly posh version of fish and chips. The food was basically grilled or battered with a squeeze of lemon substituting as “dressing.” The only “exotic” food cooked was the wok-friend prawns which freaked the manly, anglo fishermen of Fremantle because they had the heads left on. No criticisms about the cooking of the seafood either.

And the winner was the Red Team because Fremantle fishermen prefer their seafood to be battered, salted, headless, and non-exotic. Basically the end product looked nothing like fish because it is all about “respecting” the flavour of seafood, yeah? Well thanks for coming Samira and Totem. Don’t let the door slam on your ass on the way back to Melbourne.

11 dowecare { 07.01.13 at 8:24 pm }

how ridiculous that the team that won the challenge was told they would compete for the Immunity pin to then have to vote and decide is bullsh#t, why would you pick VERN, he couldn’t cook his way out of a paper bag, another waste off time

12 Helen { 07.01.13 at 9:01 pm }

I only watched this episode because they were in WA (where I live) and I happened to see them over here earlier in the year when they filmed at Crown Perth which I think is on tonight?? Last night was pretty boring and this year I don’t like many of the contestants for some reason. I don’t think they are very talented – the only people I like are Rishi and Pip. Jules annoys me (Ryan’s comment above) even in the opening credits is annoying to the point where I can’t watch it. I think I will find something else to watch after this week. Samira annoys me and Vern thinks he’s talented – but not, Noelene is annoying and I hate her stare. She would be a really hard person and I wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of her.

13 littlered { 07.01.13 at 9:42 pm }

Tonight’s episode was the most pointless crock of shit I have ever watched.

14 daisy { 07.01.13 at 9:49 pm }

So that chef was another Bussy boy.

Emma was a bit scary drooling and leering over him.

15 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 9:56 pm }

One of your old boyfriend, Daisy?

16 daisy { 07.01.13 at 10:00 pm }

Too young for me Littlepetal.
All of my old bfs are either, grey or bald and in their autumn years;the pottering in the garden years.

17 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 10:05 pm }

You could have been a young cougar, LOL

18 brain dead dave { 07.01.13 at 10:06 pm }

I laughed so hard when I saw it was Verne going for ammunity. When hell freezes over.

19 Andrea { 07.01.13 at 10:12 pm }

Taped it while watching HR and just watched it, don’t know why I bothered, it was woeful.
Tomorrow night looks exciting (not.) Seems like we’ve been there and done that before!
Oh well, there’s always The Mole and the Baking Show to watch instead.

20 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 10:16 pm }

Andrea, Australian Bake Off only starts on n 9 July but we still have The Mole tomorrow

21 brain dead dave { 07.01.13 at 10:21 pm }

Beautiful day in Corsica for TDF tonight, gice.

22 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 10:24 pm }

Corsica is beautiful, BDD. The 3 days really showcase the island.

23 daisy { 07.01.13 at 10:28 pm }

They would know whose dish was whose because they would know Verne’s dish required more cooking time.
Also Woolif noticed that Verne’s dish had been replated because when he plated up it din’t look as good as the final dish.

24 brain dead dave { 07.01.13 at 10:29 pm }

Yes. tonight is supposed to be the best for coastal scenery .Last two nights I’ve fallen asleep just 10k’s or so from the finish. Only 145 k’s tonight, should make it.

Verne looks like he’s spent more time in boxing rings than kitchins.

25 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 10:31 pm }

I thought the plating from Vern at the kitchen bench was rough and it was better when served to the judges.

26 Littlepetal { 07.01.13 at 10:32 pm }

Age must be catching up, BDD? :)

27 Socs { 07.01.13 at 10:34 pm }

The dishes look good despite the terribleness of the episode and the awful unfairness of the way they picked the person cooking off, no?

Also Ben Pobjie mentioned something about Nolene being racist … ? Did I miss something? I was making dinner at the same time, so wasn’t really paying attention.

Thank god for sport on TV at the moment. Wimbledon, Le Tour … that makes up for the disappointment of Masterchef this year.

28 daisy { 07.01.13 at 10:36 pm }

Try and cross the finish line tonight Dave.

Jowlsy’s breaking out the Brokeback Mountain costume again for tomorrow night.

If I was to go cougar Littlepetal, I might do it for young Aiden from one of the previous MC seasons. Him and the 2 surfer boys who won AR. Having a little peek at TBL the biggest makeover.

29 daisy { 07.01.13 at 10:57 pm }

RR Have you seen The Audience on ABC2 Monday night.
Truly weird and voyeuristic……almost Truman Show.
We’re sick, living our lives through others.
You have to check this out.
All these people nosing around someone’s life, even poking around their room.

30 daisy { 07.01.13 at 11:01 pm }

50 Busy bodies follow you around everywhere, asking questions, crtiquing, judging, moralizing and advising the target.

31 Zhee { 07.02.13 at 3:58 am }

Wow, they showed the vomit of the contestants. Can it get any lower from now one? :( It looks like the perfect picture of how I feel about most of this season. It really lost its spark (same with MKR this year, ruined thanks to the constant bitching, 2012 was on the other hand like MCA’s season 2, loved Princess Jen.)

I really hope it will get better soon. If they are going to produce another season, they need to get rid of the judges. Esp. George is getting on my nerves this year.

Noelene was weird this episode and I thought she was very arrogant. As a captain there is no need to behave like an awful boss, Samira was much better even though she hated being a captain. Being a captain means backing up the team, help make the final decisions and enforce the team members skills and the spirit. Well, that|s at least what I would expect.

Btw, I gave MC UK a chance again. Even though the show is edited strangely the cooking blew me away. Most of the dishes were really restaurant quality.
US version is on at the moment as well, I would not recommend it unless you are into big egos, shouting, big egos and shouting. The cooking looks quite decent though and better than this year|s MCA.