MasterChef Australia – Contestant’s Say It’s Not Fair
TV Week has an article about what the remaining contestants think of the re-entry of contestant’s that had previously been eliminated, and it appears they are not happy.
This is what the article said:
The last four contestants in the house – Chris, Julie, Sam and Andre – thought they were on the final stretch to becoming the country’s first MasterChef winer. But they were rocked by the show’s latest twist, which will see several eliminated contestants reinstated in the competition.
During the team challenge on the HMAS Kanimbla that airs on Wednesday, a handful of former competitors are brought in as reinforcements – and told they’re back in the game, no cook-offs required!
“It’s really irritating,” Chris says. “They just got a ‘get out of jail free’ card – they didn’t have to fight for that right to come back.”
Andre agrees: “I queried it a little bit that they all get second chances because I’m sure I’m not going to get one,” he tells us. “I’d have liked to see them battle for it. Just a random wild card is a bit unfortunate,”
Judge Gary Mehigan says the decision to bring the contestants back was made in an effort to ensure the competition remained fair. “We had to sit down and ask ourselves whether or not any contestants that belong in this competition had been eliminated by no fault of their own,” he explains. “The last thing we want to see is somebody who, just by pure luck or however the dice rolled, ended up taking out the title. We all felt that there were competitors who were great cooks that deserved another chance.”
But Andre says the judges have got it wrong on at least one count. “I was little bit peeved that one of them was back, even though I really like them,” he admits. “I think that person was here just for the competition, the money and the book deal.”
According to one of the returning cooks, everyone suspected a comeback like this would be staged at some point.
“There were a lot of rumours about people coming back into the competition,” the contestant says, “but I just never thought it would be me – and I didn’t think it would be a second chance.”
It is bound to create even more drama in what’s becoming an increasingly tense race to the finale. Although the contestants reckon the twist hasn’t caused any tension in the house, the returning chefs are aware of the stir they’ve created. “They all seemed really happy to see us, but I suppose in the aftermath they sort of feel they went three steps backwards,” says one. “It’s a massive shock to them. On a strategic level, they’re not happy at all!”
The final four are also concerned that their competition may have an upper hand from having left the show – and one contestant definitely agrees that the break is an advantage. “I’ve had time to refresh myself,” they admit. “They’ve been through the wringer, to Hong Kong and back!”
But for another, the possibility of being eliminated again could prove to be a greater worry. “I’m more nervy because I know once I’m gone, I’m gone for good this time,” they reveal.
Now this gives us food for thought. Chances are high that Poh is back as her elimination was a tad unfair with her saying barley was the ingredient instead of faro. But does this also mean some of the ones that were eliminated on the Thursday night peer votes will be back. Possibly Trevor or Brent?
I love how Andre is complaining he will be getting no second chances, but I thought he has had more then enough chances particularly after strawberry and champagne risotto.