So You Think You Can Dance Australia – Top 20 – Showcase

Now this is just for all the people that hit my blog after googling “is Jason Coleman gay?”. Yes he is. Does he have a partner? I have no idea, but if he does I am sure he is hot.

Now with that bit of housekeeping out of the way lets examine the show. Tonight we get to save our shekels for another week as the episode was a non-elimination round. The dancers got to perform in their own genre, the rationale was for the audience to get to know the dancers better before we start voting.

The downside was the episode lacked a bit of the adrenaline because nothing was on the line.

Instead of a review of each routine (please add your thoughts on these in the comments section) I have some comments on the show, plus some predictions which over the coming weeks which will prove to be VERY wrong.

Some thoughts on the show:

• It’s season three can someone tell Bonnie Lythgoe not to gibber, and also not to ask her stock standard question “How did you feel?”;
  • Where was Kelley Abbey and why can’t she be on the panel or is it like Jason Gilkison they are both too good a choreographer to be a judge fulltime. Also it was not their fault that Superstars Of Dance was such a dud.
  • Speaking of choreographers it was great to see some great routines tonight by some of the choreographers that made the show such a step up from Season One last year, like Marko Panzic, Sarah Boulter; Project Moda, Debbie Ellis and Jet.
  • Prediction – Nacho Pop won’t be choreographing any routines this season. I wonder if they will have to send him out on a MacDonalds road trip again this year.
  • Thanks to Jason Coleman for adding value with his comments explaining the difference between broadway  and contemporary jazz.
  • Also Jason managed to plug his Ministry for Dance studio in Melbourne as that was where the boys were rehearsing for his group routine, which I did enjoy.
  • Also I found out that Jason was dance director obviously the new buzz word in dance, like hair stylist took over from the term hairdresser (hairdressers only work at Just Cut’s these days);
  • Note to Natalie Bassingthwaite regarding her comment that Ivy and Doug were wearing costumes that were like 1960’s school uniforms. Considering a mini was scandalous back then I doubt a mid riff would have been allowable in any school of the time. Clearly Nat has watched Grease 2 far to many times.
  • I think it is marketing genius that the Defence Force is a sponsor of the show, with that boot camp scene; and
  • PREDICTION – Phillipe’s six pack with have its own Facebook fan group in about 3 2 1…
  • Fans of So You Think You Can Dance Australia  will know that the partnerships can be crucial in keeping  you in or getting you kicked out of the competition.  A not so great dancer can sail through to the top ten on the coat tails of a popular dancer, whereas a good dancer can be turfed out early if paired with someone not attracting votes.

The partnerships are:

• Keiran and Carly and they will dance contemporary next week;
  • Will and Grace they will dance jazz;
  • Doug and Jess they will dance ballroom;
  • Nick and Ilona they will dance jazz;
  • Don and Issi they will dance hip hop;
  • Matt and Jessie they will dance contemporary;
  • Gaz and Ivy they will dance ballroom;
  • Robbie and Mikhela will dance ballroom;
  • Heath is with Jessica P they  will dance jazz; and
  • Phillipe is with Renee they will dance hip hop.

My top four has now been completely revised after this show:

• I think Matt is going to give the title a red hot go, I had not realised that he was so likeable and not a bad dancer either, also he will be a nice counter balance to quieter Jessie who is extremely good dancer;
  • Don was a bit unlucky to draw Issy, as if she continues to weep each week will not attract her many votes, however the upside for her is with a popular dancer with an established fan base;
  • Grace, who I think is an early favourite will breeze through to the top 10 with Will as her partner, but I think after that he will struggle without her;
  • Keiran who I had pegged in my top four has been paired with Carly which may not be a positive thing for him, as she is not as strong a dancer as some of the others;
  • Ivy reminds me of a more articulate version of Penny Higgs, I don’t see her lasting long and she made some notable mistakes in her routine with Doug on the Showcae The new manoure  is call the ball butt. I think her and Gaz will be early casualties not helped that they have ballroom next week.
  • Another pair who will be eliminated early are Ilona and Nick.
  • Mikheal and Robbie is a funny pairing, as she is quite athletic to his more fluid movements;
  • Heath and Jessica P will be a strong couple.

I think the top four will be Matt, Jessica P, Grace and Heath. Your thoughts?

1 teacoffeetea { 02.10.10 at 11:13 pm }

I love Grace. I think she’s an amazing dancer with a great presence on the show too. She really seems to ‘work hard’ which the judges always bang on about. I agree, I think she’ll do well. I also enjoyed the boys routine at the end and Jason seemed very pleased with himself without seeming arrogant. I thought it was good that he credited the dancers for their input too. As for Bonnie, yes! Please, ask some different questions…anything! Oh, and her pop in to Jason’s studio was funny. I’m not sure why, could’ve been the white slacks but I do have a soft spot for her. I’m looking forward to next week!

2 Laura { 02.11.10 at 12:38 am }

I am disappointed with some of the pairings, but only because I wanted my favourites to sail through. Although I don’t think that Keiran will be disadvantaged by having Carly as a partner, I think she’s really good. Her top 40 solo was one of the best IMO. I think that the worst pairing is Robbie and Mikhala but maybe I’ll be proved wrong (I thought that about Penny and Charlie!) I agree that Will and Grace will be a very popular couple.

Phillipe used to be one of my favourites but his Ed Hardy shirt and onstage comments tonight have put me off a little!

3 Laura { 02.11.10 at 12:42 am }

Also, I wish they would stop mentioning how Renee is beautiful (singling her out) and showing the clip from her audition. They are just compounding the prejudice. Ugh.

4 Victor { 02.11.10 at 12:48 am }

I really want to see Nick in the competition some more, the guy is f-ing hot! And I’m hoping he’s gay, he’s too cute to be straight, right? 😉

5 Trevor { 02.11.10 at 1:16 am }

Its all about that last girl trio to “Tik Tok” WOW!!!! That was so fantastic!

6 Br0n { 02.11.10 at 2:27 am }

I agree that the show lacked a bit of buzz. Needed to be given a hit of espresso! Mind you, I think it was good for all of the dancers to be given a chance to show off their “stuff” minus some of the pressure.
Was it me or were all the judges a bit too touchy feely tonight?Just because it was a non-elimination round it seemed that any form of critique flew out the window. Isn’t this show meant to be about growing them as dancers?
Ivy does my head in. If I was Doug’s wife sitting in Utah, watching the show, I would have caught the first plane to Oz to knock Ivy’s block off. It will be interesting to see if she continues her manhandling ways with Gaz.
I agree about Matt being a hot contender. He is hilarious and although this was coming through during the audition process, it positively shone tonight.
Grace is fab.
Renee needs to get a confidence boost because she is an amazing dancer.
Love Heath and Nick too.
Project Moda’s routine was fab. So funny as usual, and Don and Gaz rocked.
Robby and Issi were beautiful. Considering how young they are they definitely conveyed the emotions asked of them.
Couldn’t stand the Hairspray routine which is a shame cos I really like Doug and I like the musical. While the judges were raving about how much energy it had and that it “popped” I thought they looked tired and flat. Plus their was no chemistry… but again that could have been Ivy…. Sorry Ivy. I dont normally take a dislike to someone but not your greatest fan :-(
It will be interested to watch over the coming weeks. Looking forward to seeing who Australia thinks is hot and not so much.

7 KC { 02.11.10 at 12:11 pm }

Its too early to say…They’re all so awesome and its crazy how some people improve incredibly from the first show to the last like how Talia was and so you never know 😀 I’m just a big fan of Jess S though cause she’s beautiful and AWESOME 😀 Actually I’m a big fan of all the Jess’s cause they’re all beautiful and awesome even though everyone on the show is 😀

8 JIT { 02.11.10 at 12:43 pm }

was there something wrong with Nat’s makeup her face looked odd maybe it was the bum part in her hair

9 Reality Raver { 02.11.10 at 2:19 pm }

teacoffeetea – I would just prefer Kelley Abbey to be on the judging panel she is always spot on with her comments, tough but fair. It is going to be a great season.

Laura – I totally agree about the Renee is not an ugly comments, leave her alone, she is fine. Also too embarassing to keep on going on about it.

Victor – bad news Nick is supposedly straight, he is engaged to an older woman. Even if he was gay I am not sure he would act on it, as very religious from what I can gather about his God comments. I must say that I thought he was a little camp last night, but that is not a negative thing.

Trevor – Agree, Marko Panzic is a great choreographer.

Bronwyn – I agree I am not feeling the Ivy love, but Jason is all over her. Agree it was a bit too much of a love in last night. Maybe they want to build their confidence.

KC – I am completely confused about all the jessica’s I like the ballroom one and the red head one

JIT – yes agree, coming on after Hayley Lewis who has a natural warmth about her, I found Natalie a bit superficial last night. Maybe she was nervous.

10 KC { 02.11.10 at 5:05 pm }

I like the Hip Hop Jessica 😀 I liked her more in the Matt Lee routine than the Hip Hop one though

I had commented before I finished the show and man…I LOVED JASON’S ROUTINE! I don’t know about other people but I thought it was AWESOME! I feel bad but I totally didn’t expect it to be so entertaining because you know…He’s a judge…I didn’t realise he was a chereographer as well 😀 I LOVE THE BEGINNING OF IT! And whenever everyone got together and did ‘as one’ parts it was REALLY GOOD. But the solo sections of it was kinda woah woah too many things going at once. But it was really good. omg…I wanna watch it again again and again or even just the beginning of it. YAY 😀

PS – Did anyone else think Michaela was smiling so much during the TikTok routine that it started to look scary? She only had one emotion on her face…Maybe nerves?

And I wasn’t a fan of the Broadway routine mainly because Doug and Ivy seemed to be dragging themselves throughout but I think it might be because Ivy hit her head into his nether regions and he was suffering from pain which is why he danced slower 😀

Will and Grace LOL

OMG IM SO EXCITED! Like this year I love both the guys and the girls! First Season I was like BOYS Second I was like GIRLS and this season I like most of the Top 20! Its gonna be SO difficult to see people leave cause I like so many of them…

11 josie { 02.11.10 at 6:30 pm }

Robbie’s my favourite at the moment. His top 4o solo was my favourite solo and again his performance with issy was my favourite last night too. Unfortunately, I dont think he’s got the personality to go all the way though.

Im not a fan of a lot of the couples. Its like they’ve paired the good ones with the the bad ones

12 Heartfelt { 02.12.10 at 11:28 am }

Predictions: early leavers will be Ivy, Ilona, Keiran, Carly, Jessica P, Jessica H, Will. Top Four will be Robbie, Jesse S, Heath and Grace. They don’t get voted out in pairs do they? How unfair is that! Surely not! I think Robbie can go all the way. He is starting to show his cheeky nature, his technique is flawless, the emotion is flowing through his dances and his confidence is building. He has a sweet appeal that just grabs the heart strings. The time has come for a youngster to win this!

13 par3182 { 02.12.10 at 11:59 pm }

Talia was 18, Jack was 19 – the youngsters have always won this thing.

14 Heartfelt { 02.13.10 at 12:34 am }

Wow! I didn’t realise they were so young! Robbie seems so much younger than them. Probably because he’s a nice mix of sweetness and cheekiness. He’s proving quite popular – almost 2,000 followers/fans on his Facebook page.

15 bella vita { 02.13.10 at 10:17 pm }

sorry for the late reply

My thoughts on the ep

Both Brent Street and Ministry of Dance got MORE than enough plugging. I really am curious to know how Jason Coleman could afford 1,000,000 on setting up his studios…must be on a huge pay packet with Ten. Notice also both him and Matt want to be taken more seriously as choreographers in the industry, and rightly so, with many years experience in the industry.

Bonnie went ON and On tonight about….well, not much really…
Nat Bass her usual annoying self, with the occasional sing song in her talking to ovbiously remind people she is a singer. Love to see Nat,Matt and Jason do a routine….

Enjoyed the routines tonight. Stand out for me was the ballroom dancers …awesome stuff

My predictions for Top 4 are
Grace, Jess, Keiran and either Nick/Heath

My general comments are:
Who cares about Renee’s looks? No, she aint the best looking, but HELLO neither is Robbie, Gaz, or Don!!

Is it just me or does Izzy remind you of Talia?

Bored with seeing the same choreographers. Thank goodness no Nacho this year. Project Moda are over rated, Jet Verne overused.
Personally would love to see some of the older choreographers in the industry getting a go…people that taught Matt Lee, Kelly Abbey and Jason Coleman…and still teaching today.

Bonnie must really cake the makeup on….when talking to people at Jasons studios, she was CAKED in foundation.

Matt Lee’s bowler hat has been wore too many times. Would like to see him wear a firemans helmut, police hat, spanish mantilla and Kylies showgirl head piece in future shows.

For info’s sake, in reply to some comments

Mikealeah is a student at Ministry..Jason knows her quite well. Ivy is also another well known Melb dance student who is now at Ministry too…I would like to think in the future they should be disclosing this as conflict of interest and perhaps have that 4th judge to balance…Not Kelly, she has taught far too many people also

16 Heartfelt { 02.14.10 at 12:13 am }

Dear Bella Vita ,
Take a chill pill dear. Sorry babe but me and my buds think thou dost have WAY too much time on one’s hands….. Shallow, shallow, shallow. Have fun looking in the mirror in the morning. Be brave…..

17 Reality Raver { 02.14.10 at 4:09 pm }

Bella Vita and Heartfelt – I tend to agree with Bella Vita, I think if the judges have an outside relationship with a dancer or are attending the Ministry of Dance it needs to be disclosed.

Matt Lee quite rightly disclosed his association with Lady Jayne.

I thought Ivy not great this week, and Mikahela I thought was good. I don’t see either featuring in the top four.

The advantage with Bonnie is that she would not have a pre-existing relationship with any of the dancers.

I suppose the dance world in Australia so it is hard to keep the show totally independent.

18 Anonymous { 02.15.10 at 7:59 pm }

The more abrasive personalities are dominating at the moment but in terms of actual dancing, I think Jessie H. and Kieran are the ones to watch.

19 Heartfelt { 02.15.10 at 8:05 pm }

I think Kieran will be one of the first to go…… followed by Ivy.

20 Anonymous { 02.17.10 at 1:36 pm }

Ha, it’s funny how everyone has opposite views. I think Kieran is a perfect fit for SYTYCD with his fusion of ballroom and ballet. I have him pegged for Top 10 at least.

21 Reality Raver { 02.17.10 at 2:44 pm }

I love that people have different opinions – makes me think about the dancers more and whether my ideas are right.

I am still surprised that Penny Higgs made top 10, but obviously a lot of people were feeling the love for her.

So excited about tonight’s first real top 20 show.

22 Kate { 04.08.10 at 10:44 pm }

In my opinion Robbie is the dark horse in the competition, and I think he will make it to the finale. Jessie H. is amazingly technical, so I also think she has a good chance at the title. Its funny to see everyones comments from the start of top 20, like your predictions of the top 4 were totally off, because things changed so much during the comp.
Its now top 6, top 4 is to be announced tonight and im just hoping that Robbie makes it through.
Im loving Nick too, but that may be because he is incredibly hot. And Phillipes body is mind blowing. Jess S. i think has come back into the comp with a different perspective and is hitting everything harder, convincing me that she deserves her place. And Ivy has grown on me, her smile is infectious and her dancing is beautiful, no doubt.
As for the judges, Jason has been taking the words from my mouth lately, im not sure if I like that or not.
Bonnie’s comments are getting repetitive and its only in the ballroom genre that she seems to know what shes talking about.
And has anyone ever actually seen Matt Lee’s hair?? The peaks on his hats just keep getting higher. But I love him.
That’s my thoughts, can’t wait for the show tonight, im barracking for little Robbie, braces and all :)