So You Think You Can Dance Australia – Top 20 – Showcase
Now this is just for all the people that hit my blog after googling “is Jason Coleman gay?”. Yes he is. Does he have a partner? I have no idea, but if he does I am sure he is hot.
Now with that bit of housekeeping out of the way lets examine the show. Tonight we get to save our shekels for another week as the episode was a non-elimination round. The dancers got to perform in their own genre, the rationale was for the audience to get to know the dancers better before we start voting.
The downside was the episode lacked a bit of the adrenaline because nothing was on the line.
Instead of a review of each routine (please add your thoughts on these in the comments section) I have some comments on the show, plus some predictions which over the coming weeks which will prove to be VERY wrong.
Some thoughts on the show:
- It’s season three can someone tell Bonnie Lythgoe not to gibber, and also not to ask her stock standard question “How did you feel?”;
- Where was Kelley Abbey and why can’t she be on the panel or is it like Jason Gilkison they are both too good a choreographer to be a judge fulltime. Also it was not their fault that Superstars Of Dance was such a dud.
- Speaking of choreographers it was great to see some great routines tonight by some of the choreographers that made the show such a step up from Season One last year, like Marko Panzic, Sarah Boulter; Project Moda, Debbie Ellis and Jet.
- Prediction – Nacho Pop won’t be choreographing any routines this season. I wonder if they will have to send him out on a MacDonalds road trip again this year.
- Thanks to Jason Coleman for adding value with his comments explaining the difference between broadway and contemporary jazz.
- Also Jason managed to plug his Ministry for Dance studio in Melbourne as that was where the boys were rehearsing for his group routine, which I did enjoy.
- Also I found out that Jason was dance director obviously the new buzz word in dance, like hair stylist took over from the term hairdresser (hairdressers only work at Just Cut’s these days);
- Note to Natalie Bassingthwaite regarding her comment that Ivy and Doug were wearing costumes that were like 1960’s school uniforms. Considering a mini was scandalous back then I doubt a mid riff would have been allowable in any school of the time. Clearly Nat has watched Grease 2 far to many times.
- I think it is marketing genius that the Defence Force is a sponsor of the show, with that boot camp scene; and
- PREDICTION – Phillipe’s six pack with have its own Facebook fan group in about 3 2 1…
- Fans of So You Think You Can Dance Australia will know that the partnerships can be crucial in keeping you in or getting you kicked out of the competition. A not so great dancer can sail through to the top ten on the coat tails of a popular dancer, whereas a good dancer can be turfed out early if paired with someone not attracting votes.
The partnerships are:
- Keiran and Carly and they will dance contemporary next week;
- Will and Grace they will dance jazz;
- Doug and Jess they will dance ballroom;
- Nick and Ilona they will dance jazz;
- Don and Issi they will dance hip hop;
- Matt and Jessie they will dance contemporary;
- Gaz and Ivy they will dance ballroom;
- Robbie and Mikhela will dance ballroom;
- Heath is with Jessica P they will dance jazz; and
- Phillipe is with Renee they will dance hip hop.
My top four has now been completely revised after this show:
- I think Matt is going to give the title a red hot go, I had not realised that he was so likeable and not a bad dancer either, also he will be a nice counter balance to quieter Jessie who is extremely good dancer;
- Don was a bit unlucky to draw Issy, as if she continues to weep each week will not attract her many votes, however the upside for her is with a popular dancer with an established fan base;
- Grace, who I think is an early favourite will breeze through to the top 10 with Will as her partner, but I think after that he will struggle without her;
- Keiran who I had pegged in my top four has been paired with Carly which may not be a positive thing for him, as she is not as strong a dancer as some of the others;
- Ivy reminds me of a more articulate version of Penny Higgs, I don’t see her lasting long and she made some notable mistakes in her routine with Doug on the Showcae The new manoure is call the ball butt. I think her and Gaz will be early casualties not helped that they have ballroom next week.
- Another pair who will be eliminated early are Ilona and Nick.
- Mikheal and Robbie is a funny pairing, as she is quite athletic to his more fluid movements;
- Heath and Jessica P will be a strong couple.
I think the top four will be Matt, Jessica P, Grace and Heath. Your thoughts?