The Mole – Has Been Moled

The Mole has been pretty much dumped by Channel SEVEN. It started at three episodes a week and now there will only be a double episode on Wednesday night at 9.30pm.

The ratings had dropped to just over 350,000 this week and SEVEN had no choice but to act.

It is a pity as it iss a show I am still trying really hard to like. However the challenges seemed to be so long and drawn out, particularly the library challenge where we just about saw every person look in every box. In the end I was fast forwarding it but was then missing the too camera pieces that may  have been giving off hints who is the mole.

Also a lot of the characters are not that engaging.

Fans of the show will be disappointed it did not rate big but at least it is still screening and we will at some stage find out who The Mole is.

The Mole on SEVEN on Wednesday at 9.30pm.

1 Alicia { 07.12.13 at 9:41 am }

I’m disappointed that they moved it to 9:30pm.

I don’t mind the show but I’m not going to stay up until 9:30pm on a work night to watch a double episode. I’ll record it instead (does that count towards ratings??).

The challenges are certainly long and drawn out, they could condense of a lot of it and make it more interesting, I too got bored with watching everyone look in the same boxes.

I can’t see their ratings do very well next week considering it’ll go up against the State of Origin decider! Go NSW!

2 AJ { 07.12.13 at 11:00 am }

Hopefully now that The Mole didn’t perform as well as they expected, Channel 7 will now make another season of The Amazing Race – Australia!

3 Jason { 07.12.13 at 11:33 am }

I’ll still be taping it – I was anyway at 7:30pm due to Master Chef

4 Andrea { 07.12.13 at 11:34 am }

That’s what I was thinking@1, it won’t do well on Origin night (go NSW!)
I read on Facebook that many people won’t let their kids stay up til 9.30 to watch The Mole, but 7.30 was a good time for them.
It was never really given a chance and replacing it with a repeat show makes no sense at all.

5 Yoo { 07.12.13 at 11:49 am }

“Also a lot of the characters are not that engaging.”

I doubt that’s the reason why this season is failing. In fact, if you look at every past season of The Mole, there was far less focus on the contestants and more on the action/assignments. In past seasons, there were typically 3-4 assignments in each episode and it worked brilliantly – didn’t feel rushed either.

Channel 7 are trying too hard to turn The Mole into MKR by spending too much time on constructing the contestants’ on-screen personalities – and not doing a very good job of it. Also, just about everything appears staged, including the contestants miraculously finishing every assignment with 10 seconds to go.

The producers broke the old format and that’s why this season isn’t doing so well.

6 daisy { 07.12.13 at 6:23 pm }

Crap! Once they start a show at a particular time slot they need to give it more of a chance. I hate when we get started on a show to have its time slot continually changed so that it disappears half way through. They did that with AR this year. I only got the first 3 or 4 shows and then I couldn’t find it on the quide.

7 Morgan { 07.12.13 at 6:31 pm }

I guess this generation just can’t appreciate The Mole. It’s just too different for them. It’s not like Big Brother, MasterChef or My Kitchen Rules where it’s all about over the top characaters and drama and people who cry at the drop of the hat. What a shame that the return of this show has turned out to be a failure.

8 daisy { 07.12.13 at 6:41 pm }

So I wonder what next then, Morgan since it seems to me that a lot of people are tiring of the fake nonsense that MKR became.

9 Littlepetal { 07.12.13 at 6:54 pm }

Just look at MC. They keep changing the format and now they are bluffing themselves to keep saying they are doing well. Sponsors won’t be happy and they will have problems charging as much for next series

10 Anon. { 07.12.13 at 7:59 pm }

Well I don’t like the new format. It’s stupid how they are all pretending to be the Mole in every episode. I much preferred previous years. It lost me when I realised what they were doing.

11 Ari { 07.12.13 at 10:32 pm }

Shame. I do quite like the contestants. However not enjoying the concept of people trying to be the mole as a form of strategy. I was hoping for more Survivor style challenges and Survivor style scheming.

12 daisy { 07.12.13 at 10:42 pm }

I guess they can’t stop people trying to prete d to be the Mole. We just have to think harder.

13 Littlepetal { 07.12.13 at 10:43 pm }

The way it is going, the winner will not get much money

14 Ari { 07.12.13 at 11:14 pm }

The thing I hate about CH7 is as soon as ratings go bad they treat the program like crap. This does not only go for reality TV but dramas as well. Great shows have been given to CH7 like Happy Endings, Teen Wolf, Hannibal and even Cougar Town only for them to get shoved off.

CH7 never have any faith for their programs. They should have kept this show as a one hour show and would have worked really well. I’ve never seen The Mole before but I assumed it would be like Survivor with a lot of strategy and scheming and lies and playing the game. I’ve warmed up to the contestants and I quite like them. But the challenges aren’t good enough. They need to be more creative. I’ll be honest, the challenges seemed like challenges ANYBODY can do at home. Especially the kite diggin one which confused me since I thought this was a TV program and not a high school excursion.

I’m sticking to the end but format needs to change.

15 Eliza { 07.13.13 at 12:53 am }

I really hope this doesn’t spell the end of The Mole for good. Why oh why couldn’t they have just stuck to the original format that worked so well?! I too will stick with it to the end, unless they just cut it completely. I hope not though.

16 daisy { 07.13.13 at 1:02 am }

I’ll be so mad if they cut it. They shouldn’t start a show that has an outcome unless they are going to finish it. Iwas watching one of the early seasons of Bachelor and it kept getting later and later. I tried to keep track to record it but the station kept changing the times without warning. I don’t know if they finished the season butif they did, I didn’t get to see it, I think they just took it off mid way. Grrrr.

17 Eliza { 07.13.13 at 1:04 am }

Frustrating isn’t it… Stupid TV people…

18 Alicia { 07.14.13 at 12:00 am }

The most frustrating thing, which some of you already mentioned, is the “without warning” timeslot changes. I start down on Wednesday to watch and found some police show instead. It certainly didn’t keep me on the channel, I think I switched to a recording instead. I wish these stations would give their shows more of a chance. It’s no wonder people turn to the Internet!

19 David { 07.15.13 at 2:15 pm }

It’s not so much that the challenges are crap (though certainly there have been some bad ones so far), it’s the pacing. That challenge with the boxes worked brilliantly when the Dutch version did it – in the first episode and only for about ten minutes of TV time without any commercials in between – but doing it this late in the game (when the point of it is to expose alliances) and showing it for half an hour was a complete failure.

20 David { 07.15.13 at 2:27 pm }

If anyone’s interested in seeing the show done properly, there are five subtitled Dutch seasons available on Youtube. Just search for thatdarkspark. Some of the challenges will be familiar (all of this season’s challenges are adapted or directly copied from these particular seasons), but it’s handled competently here.

Also all of the Aussie, British, and American seasons are up too, but they’re much more hit-and-miss.

21 Adam { 07.18.13 at 3:56 am }

I think it’s ridiculous that the Australian version ripped off every single challenge in the past episode from last year’s dutch mole. The challenge where they climbed the stairs and the search challenge were both in the dutch version. No wonder the series has dropped, the Australian version can’t even make up their own ideas for challenges.

22 Andrea { 07.18.13 at 7:51 am }

Adam, I agree.
Last night, the challenges, particularly in the first episode were very drawn out. The stair climbing one was so boring, it took most of the episode.
The second episode withe the search challenge and guessing the pixilated photo of the celebrities was okay.
I think the challenges were probably copied from the Dutch Mole because they would have been successful so they were hoping they would work here.
Unfortunately they go about it the wrong way and spoil what was a good show.

23 Littlepetal { 07.18.13 at 8:33 am }

I think I will give it a miss.

24 Izobel2 { 07.19.13 at 1:58 pm }

I thought the pixelated people turned out ok. At the beginning I thought they’d never be able to pull it off, but it was pretty good.
I still don’t know who the Mole is. At the moment I think Alex or Sam or Ally. Sam’s ‘to camera’ pieces always look like he’s reading. I watch his eyes – they’re shifty.

25 emp { 07.19.13 at 6:00 pm }

After watching the latest episodes I’m convinced the mole is Erin.