Open Post – The X Factor

Come here if you want to chat about the latest series of The X Factor.

New judges James Blunt and Chris Issack are joined by Guy Sebastian and Danni Minougue.

1 daisy { 11.05.15 at 1:01 am }

I thought Natalie had it in the bag over Mahalia. I hated her bunji jump the night before though. And I alyays hate too much lucky dicky dancing around, which she had on Monday.
Mahalia annoys me, mainly because she uses affectation. I am usually a big fan of her style but her affected diction irritates me.
The duo are now my favs. I think them and Cyrus will be the last 2.

Anyone else think the reason that Natalie seemed so OK with going last night might be because there are already a few producers knocking on her door dying to sign her?

2 Jozzie { 11.06.15 at 10:38 am }

Have to agree with you Jon about Louise’s voice, never was a fan of it.

3 daisy { 11.06.15 at 11:58 am }

Jozzie, I agree too. She sings too hard. The tone is there but the delivery is hard and the tone gets lost.

4 Pandy { 11.09.15 at 6:45 pm }

Just thought X Factor fans might be interested in this.

5 daisy { 11.10.15 at 2:14 am }

Although I initially thought, “Oh no. Not Grease”, Matt and Jess sang beautifully and were my favourites again this week.
Mahalia is beautiful and her voice is nice but her incomplete diction annoys me and something always seems lacking in her performances, even though I normally favour her style of voice.
I didn’t think Mr T did well. I still think he needs Aussie Rock or just big Rock songs like Aerosmith.
Only Jess and Matt really did it for me tonight. Maybe Cyrus second.

6 Meep { 11.10.15 at 8:22 am }

Definitely agree with daisy about the Grease song. I gave my screen a wtf expression, then was absolutely blown away by their rendition. Beautiful! My favorite this week.

Cyrus did well, but I don’t think that was his best performance. While it’s great that he can play the piano, it removed that feeling of connection with the audience this time around. He did the same set-up in the 5 chair challenge, but the situation fit the sense of isolation that the song conveyed.

Louise pulled back for the first part of her song, and I enjoyed it very much. But then she went into the “hardness” that many here have commented on. I can see why it’s kind of a turn off now. Still love her very much, and hope she’ll start using the light and dark shades of her voice better.

I still like Mahalia’s voice, but haven’t felt the same connection to her performances as I did with the first few.

Is it just me, or did last weeks snafu drastically affect Big T’s performance this week? It’s like he couldn’t get over his mistake, and just didn’t put in any effort this time. The performance was a bit bland, and it was like he was just going through the motions.

I think it’s going to be Mahalia and Big T in the bottom two, with Big T going home.

7 Jozzie { 11.10.15 at 12:02 pm }

Did not like that song choice for Cyrus but he makes any song sound good so didn’t really mind his version of it.

Matt and Jess have been compared to Alex and Sierra from X factor USA on other forums. Not sure if Guy is aware of this but they also sung this song on the show so its not exactly some kind of original or genius idea that Guy is making it out to be.

Mahalia was ok at the start but it just started to get boring towards the end.

Big T’s voice is pretty decent but don’t think it is good enough for a John Legend song.

Felt Louise was shouting at me again, I don’t know what it is but I just find it hard to get into her performances.

8 Selina { 11.10.15 at 1:49 pm }

I love Louise’s voice but maybe people are right in saying she sings too hard. She needs a softer song once in a while. Have said it before would love to hear her sing ‘gravity’. I also love Mahalia’s voice but really think this x factor is not for her. It’s all too loud she gets drowned out by the music and her diction is not that great. Danii up to you to help with this. Jess and Matt might end up the winners now. They seem to be getting better and better.

9 Meep { 11.11.15 at 8:57 am }

Selina – I think Gravity is becoming an overused song lately. For some reason a thought has been bouncing around my head ever since she did Dream On. Crazy as it might sound, I’d like to hear Louise sing a Janis Joplin song. (I don’t think she’d done that yet, right?) Except have her watch/listen-to the music, over and over, so she can hear how to use light/dark vocals.

10 daisy { 11.11.15 at 8:59 am }

Jozz, shouting is a good way to describe Louise’s singing. But if you back track to when she auditioned I do bot recall her singing so hard.

Mahalia will improve with age. She really needs to stop slurring her words when she sings. It’s annoying, and she holds back. She sings down, instead of out to the viewers. But she is very pretty on screen.
Big T was good at the start. I thinknsong choices have all been wrong. They are pigeon holing him soul and I completely disagree. He needs rock. He came on in his tradie/fifo outfit and people connected with that. Then they whack him in those silly boy dress things and dude him up. He is skating by on his earlier performances when people, myself included found him charged up. Now he just seems uncomfortable. He needs Led Zepplin, Creedence or Aerosmith. He’s no soul singer imo.
Thanks for the info on the Grease song, Jozzie. Bit copycat. I think they are the best now.

11 Jozzie { 11.11.15 at 12:10 pm }

That’s ok Daisy. Agree with you about the comments on Big T, he is definitely no soul singer, Cyrus is more suited to that description.

12 quill { 11.11.15 at 12:51 pm }

No surprises in the results last night. Mahalia was better than Big T in the sing off imo but if you’re in the bottom 2 for 4 weeks in a row, your time is up. Barring a knockout performance next week, I would wager Big T will miss the finale. He’s been pretty pitchy in his last few performances and has looked insecure. I’d like to think Mahalia can go on to bigger and better things after the show, but given the track record of past non-winners I’m not getting my hopes up.

13 Ghasterly Rock { 11.11.15 at 1:09 pm }

When I heard they were singing Grease I though uh-oh, the energy sucked out of another song (Ignition and Haert of Glass come to mind), but it was breathtaking. The proposal stuff was so awkward. Rolling my eyes at Luke again tonight.
Louise moved around for once, and it was amazing. Cyrus ivr never really connected with since he has that whole destined to win armour thing. But that’s just me.
I’m thinking T should not make top three, but Louise could also be out.

I think the Alex and Sierra comparisons come soley from them being a couple, when really they are totally different people. But I can see why people think that too.

I like Mahalia a lot (barring that cringe worthy performance of Get Stupid), but I’m glad she is gone. It must be hard for a person to get the constant feeling Australia doesn’t like her.

14 Selina { 11.11.15 at 3:02 pm }

Maybe you’re right about ‘Gravity’ Meep. I just love it though and I think it would suit Louise. I can’t stop listening to it and especially when sung by Sara Bareilles. I play it over and over. I might get sick of it one day. Do you remember when Brittany Cairns sang it on The Voice. I thought she was amazing.

15 daisy { 11.17.15 at 1:31 am }

Now we are near the end, it’s a combination of performance on the night, history of performances and likeability.
For me Jess and Matt have snuck up from the middle to first place. They create such beautiful sounds and they are both cute, especially him. I let it pass last week but I think they could choose dresses that made her less booby. I didn’t mind the Kiss song, mainly because I was imagining if they did an entire concert, you need a change of pace. It was could they showed variety without changing their own styling.
Next for me, and this is a matter of the heart, I love Mr T and have been wanting him to shine, so I was happy to see him comfortable tonight. I liked him doing Marvin Gaye. He faltered a bit on Moody Blues but I enjoyed his delivery.

Cyrus of course was polished, and better than T but he doesn’t appeal to me for some reason. I don’t love the songs he does. But musically obviously he is above T and should be in the finals with J&M.

Louise is the one I would let go. I really haven’t enjoyed her ‘hard’ singing. She has a great tone but needs a softer approach. James should have worked on that. Did she remind anyone else of Judith Durham in the second song?

16 esmeralda { 11.17.15 at 8:40 pm }

I’m on the edge of my seat. Surely the judges have to pick Louise after that performance of Roxanne. Big T might be a nice lad but he bores me. He cannot compare to Louise.

17 esmeralda { 11.17.15 at 8:51 pm }

Gosh thanks to the public the right person went through. Danii hates Louise probably envious. I don’t like Danni so full of herself. Getting sick of her. Time for her to go!

18 daisy { 11.17.15 at 11:54 pm }

Bummer!

19 Meep { 11.19.15 at 6:32 am }

No surprises for the last three.

Anyone get the feeling that the judges/producers don’t want Louise to win? Given the fact that the judges have been praising her performances left, right, and center, previously, it came as a surprise to have them criticize her so thoroughly this week.

While I was pretty sure she would be in the top 3, I honestly don’t see her winning, given the popularity of Cyrus and Jess & Matt.

And, it’s a toss-up between Cyrus and Jess & Matt. To be honest, though, I don’t think it really matters. I believe both of them will be signed up with Sony.

20 esmeralda { 11.24.15 at 8:14 pm }

Oh Louise why did you sing Adele? It was not your best performance. Dare I say it was not for you. I still hope you will win. I still think you are great. I love James. I think he is sincere clever and knowledgeable about music. I really think he has done the best for you.

21 daisy { 11.25.15 at 2:15 am }

Without giving it away for thise who haven’t watched, I expected that winner, but not second and third places.

I think Louise sang better tonight that she has tor awhile. I really like when you can hear her tone.

All in all, I didn’t mind the mentors this year. JB says such odd things, like the skinny guy on Big Bang Theory. Makes me wonder if he is somewhere on the aspergers spectrum. He was fun to watch, but because he is an oddball.

22 Ghasterly Rock { 11.25.15 at 9:53 pm }

I may have cried.
The group performance of Lean On just put me in such a high- and when they reappeared choir style with You’re Beautiful, my heart…. And then with One! What a night, and what a beautiful season. Such a mature competition.

23 Jozzie { 11.29.15 at 1:39 pm }

It’s so nice to see the bonds the judges and contestants have formed throughout the season especially when Chris teared up talking about the last mentoring session with Cyrus. And then seeing Cyrus getting all emotional after the announcement bought a tear to my eye.

24 anonymous { 01.11.16 at 12:30 pm }
25 Juz { 01.25.16 at 7:58 pm }

Hi, in case someone is subscribed to this thread who doesn’t already know, we are continuing general TV chat over at http://www.talkingtv.net
Please drop by – Juz

26 daisy { 01.26.16 at 12:18 pm }

You beat me Juz. I just came here to let my XFactors and other talent show buddies about TVT.

27 daisy { 01.26.16 at 1:08 pm }

Call to MEEP. I no inate you for talent show recaps.

Call to DEANO AND SAMSARA….I miss you both.

28 Meep { 02.29.16 at 9:21 am }

You rang, Daisy? Sorry to have faded out to black for a while, but since I don’t watch any AU shows other than The Voice AU and got sucked into The X Factor by your sparkly personality, I didn’t know you gave me a shout out.

What’s this about nominating me for recaps? You remember I’m in the U.S., right? I don’t get to watch the eps until 1-2 days after you guys (or whenever someone is kind enough to post a download for me).

I’m currently in the midst of watching The Voice UK. I’ll mark the box to notify me via e-mail, so I don’t miss your response.

Hope you are well, and can’t wait till The Voice AU starts, so we can post to each other more often.

29 daisy { 03.11.16 at 6:04 pm }

Cheers, Meep. Of course I have seen you on ttv since this.