The Renovators – Car Wars

Finally I listened properly to host Brendan Moar and found out the prices of the houses are so high because as the producers are including stamp duty, and conveyancing fees in the purchase price.

I am presuming this will mean when they go to auction this will be the figure they must get above to get a profit. This will decrease the prize money a bit, however the prize is you get the profit from all houses. That Blacktown fibro shack is suddenly looking like a good pick.

Tonight it was car wars. Where three teams had to create a room that showcased a wrecked car they picked up from the wreckers. The teams had five cars to choose from, and in an Amazing Race type moment they had to race through the wreckers to fine one with a especially marked renovators sticker on it.

Lisa the 47 year old decorator who I am starting to like exclaimed “I am so excited to get on board with a group of people who will believe in my vision”.  She was in a good group including Peter and Christie. However they also had Chris who used to  be a panelbeater and stripped down that car in minutes.

This group decided on doing an executive bedroom and bathroom.

August and Ali’s group went with a more theatrical dining room with a Mad Hatter theme.

And Jason J’s and Michael’s group who were mainly of men were doing a man cave.

The judges Barry and Robyn did their usual will they get it finished on time, but of course they all did.

The mad hatter team did some great things with the car parts. However how functional was it and would you want it in your house? They made a chandelier, used the spanners for table cutlery, put the engine under a table.

Robyn Holt thought it was full of whimsy and imagination. Barry said they should have pushed the whole thing back to get the judges further into the room. The room was like a party room at an indoor play centre.

The glamour bedroom suite was the best functional wise and the way they used the space.

Peter Ho said “you have demonstrated your ideas of re-use in functional ways and decorative ways.”

The final room to be judged was the man cave. It did not look very welcoming, and the rug on floor made from the car seat cover looked like road kill. This room was my least favourite.

Robyn Holt criticised the colour scheme.

The winner of the challenge was the executive bathroom and bedroom. It was the best.

Peter was part of this team. Peter the kitchen/bathroom designer is a great contestant a mix of design vision, able to wield a power drill as well as manage a team.

The members of this team went into an individual challenge where they had to line up two pieces of wall paper to align on a wall. The first three go into the final task to battle it out for a key.

It was basically a race between Chris and Peter.

Robyn goes the boys are ahead of the girls that is not fair. Well that is the nature of the practical challenges. Lisa was through as well. No other girl was in the race.

The next challenge was to paint a wall without masking tape and they were not to paint the picture rail or skirting board. It had to be perfect and hence no drips.

This challenge produced a surprising amount of tension.

Chris was out of it early with drips on his skirting board. The race was on between Lisa and Peter. In the end Peter prevailed and he seemed to be very popular with the rest of the contestants.

A part of me wanted Lisa to win, as it would be great to see more women get keys. This could be why Joanne a female was put through on Sunday night.

Peter looked at the Marrickville shop, and the half completed St Peters house and took the key to the house. The half done house in St Peters cost $668,403 and he gets 20 per cent of that to refurbish with.

The ratings have not been sizzling on this show, however it should be doing better than it is.It is fast paced, a great cast of judges and contestants, and interesting challenges.

Are you liking it?

1 Amy { 07.28.11 at 10:51 am }

I would have watched it if they’d started it a bit later, say, after Masterchef finished – I’ve got MC, The Block, Amazing Race and Project Runway going at the moment – no time for another reality show, especially a daily one!

I’ve caught a couple of bits and it’s not really making me want to watch more though… maybe I’m all reno’d out.

2 Izobel2 { 07.28.11 at 10:56 am }

I’m hooked on it. Love the pace. How ’bout when one of the chicks said “I can see Lambourghini’s and Mazarati’s” etc etc, then they find out they can only choose from 5 cars and they’re equivalent to a Datsun 180B! (sorry about car spelling, so not a car fan). Typical of Mr Plumber to incorporate a bathroom into his room.!

3 Heléna { 07.28.11 at 10:56 am }

I think the show is suffering from it’s timeslot, and while it made sense to showcase it following Masterchef I think and hope it’s ratings will improve if it replaces Masterchef in the earlier timeslot – I am really enjoying the show, the characters/contestants are great, the challenges/renovations are and production is impressive

4 Mia { 07.28.11 at 11:03 am }

Absolutely loving this show. Great pace and excellent casting.

BTW, did anyone notice the ‘redesign a chair and then design a room around it’ challenges on Top Design last night? Bit of a deja vu moment.

5 Izobel2 { 07.28.11 at 11:05 am }

Oops I meant Mr Bathroom renovator!

6 smauge { 07.28.11 at 11:13 am }

Hey Amy – ditch the Block and watch this instead. Much better!
I’m hanging to see who takes the shop, so I know who’s done the work I can see on it so far. I love what they’ve done to the front of it.

7 seepi { 07.28.11 at 11:53 am }

Yep. Ten times better than the block.

Too much good telly on at the moment – for once.

I don’t mind Jamie’s show either, but it clashes with other shows. I’m doing a lot of channel flicking at the mo.

I’m glad I wasnt one of the women on the Man Cave team.

They sometimes dont’ explain the process very well. It seems like each judge talks to one team and gives them a few hints.

8 Maz { 07.28.11 at 12:01 pm }

@Smauge-what have they done to the front of the shop? I am curious as I would imagine that a partial demolition would be done to move the front back off the street.

At the moment, prefer the Block. Maybe it will be more engaging once they start on the houses.

9 Chunks { 07.28.11 at 12:25 pm }

Couldn’t watch last night and will have to see it online. So glad Peter got one of the houses, although I got the impression from the beginning that he was getting good air time for a reason. The show really is Masterchef in disguise though.

10 Gemma { 07.28.11 at 12:49 pm }

Renovators may be slick and glossy but misses out on the “real folk” factor. Not interested in backing someone who has made millions renovating.
Also everyone saying “great challenges” – sorry but watching awall being painted is more painful than big brother.
Bored with this type of reality tv show now.
Prefer the Block and MKR any time .

11 AnonyMousse { 07.28.11 at 1:05 pm }

I noticed all the profiles on this episode were of people who are part of renovating companies – guess they’re not following the same amateur rules as masterchef, and I’ll bet that for these people the prize won’t be winning the cash at the end, it’ll be how much business they can drum up for their companies.

12 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 1:39 pm }

Thanks for the recap, this is a good show but I had to watch Angry Boys.

13 Fides { 07.28.11 at 1:52 pm }

Thought I’d get hooked into this show, but no, I was totally bored last night. I don’t care who can paint a wall the best. At least in MC top 50, I was vaguely interested in who could make a scone or peel a spud. Think it’s best I switch off now and can reclaim my weeknights after Aug 7. Woo hoo!

14 smauge { 07.28.11 at 2:24 pm }

Maz – yes the front window/door has been taken out and a partial fence has been built in it’s place. A bit like the front of a terrace. It’s still pretty sparse in the front room. Looks like they’ve painted over the hideous blue on the walls and there’s something huge in there covered by a sheet.

15 KhunDel { 07.28.11 at 2:43 pm }

I’m loving it and fingers crossed it moves to the 7:30pm slot after MC finishes.

If the tears start when the contestants starting getting the heave-ho then I will reconsider watching it. Have had ENOUGH of tears thank to MC!

Thanks for the updates on the shop smauge…please keep them coming.

16 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 2:52 pm }

Today’s Ready,Steady,Cook is devoted/themed for The Renovators. Brendan Moar and another dude from the show are guest cooks. It’s getting a good old plug.

17 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 3:05 pm }

@smauge-“there’s something huge in there covered by a sheet”

That’d be Matt Preston catching a few z’s

18 smauge { 07.28.11 at 3:06 pm }

Or Jason H (aka Robert Barone)

19 seepi { 07.28.11 at 5:45 pm }

I dont’ care if they are all professional renovators – so much the better – It is nice to see people who actually know what they are doing, instead of gumbies with a sob story.

20 OL { 07.28.11 at 6:51 pm }

The Block shits me to tears. I can’t stand the bogan moms, Scott and Shelley pisses me off and the whole show just looks amateurish and childish in comparison. Reno my ass since the majority of the show is spent filming the contestants in stupid playschool challenges or shopping (or in the case of the house frous, getting their effing nails done). The incessant use of pop music throughout the show makes my ears bleed. What is there to love about this crap?

Give me TR and Top Design any day. So much nicer to watch people who actually know what the eff they’re doing.

21 Calliegirl { 07.29.11 at 9:37 am }

brain dead dave – you crack me up – something huge covered by a sheet -“that would be Matt Preston”!! Sick of MasterChep, just tolerating The Block, loving Renovators – meh about Jaimie’s show, which I cannot even remember the name of….

22 smauge { 07.29.11 at 9:46 am }