MasterChef Australia – Smoked Salmon Terrine

Gary Mehigan dramatically declared to George Calombaris “There could be three good terrines or three bad ones.”. Um there are a few more combinations that you could be facing like one good two bad Gary.

It was no surprise that Geni went tonight at one stage when they were doing the voiceovers I thought Andre’ could have been given the punt as his eyes looked red from crying. It was also her first time in the bottom three.

Tonight’s episode did not have the drama of last week’s pressure test when they had to do the croquembouche. Also the only cooking was toasting the bread, and browning the hazelnuts so the episode was a bit dull, considering the type of conundrums they were having were about the amount of micro lettuce on the plate. Yawn.

However these are things I noted from MasterChef tonight:

• If Geni’s cooking career does not work out she can open a clairvoyant business. She revealed she had dreamt about the dish they were going to be tackling in the challenge the night before;
  • That George does appear to be a little bit in love with Poh as he gave her terrine a glowing review and made some gushing remarks after it was revealed she was safe;
  • And if he is not then blame the editors as they are certainly making it look like he has a crush on her;
  • That Poh may not be quite as into having a career  with food as the others, she admitted this herself and appeared to be a bit unclear about what type of eating establishment she would open, she stuttered out she would open a dumpling and noodle shop;
  • That Geni said she listened to the judges more then anyone else, but was just about ignoring them when they were telling her to redo her cling wrap lining of her terrine dish; and
  • I hope that Sarah Wilson is not being paid by the amount of time she is actually seen on screen, as she was seen for about two minutes tonight.

Geni is going to go to Greece and learn more about the cuisine, and is hoping to opening a teaching and dining establishment. Unfortunately tonight the hottest chick in the competition was going home.

But some hotness will be returned to the MasterChef screens tomorrow night with bald chef Matt Moran facing off with Justine in the Chef’s challenge. Every chef who he has dissed in his show The Chopping Block will be hoping he gets his butt kicked tomorrow night.

1 Injera { 06.15.09 at 10:26 pm }

God, what a boring episode. Watching people place layers of smoked salmon and layers of butter in a pan, before freezing it to make it set and then making toast is worse than watching a repeat of last week’s news.

As you say, RR, the only real entertainment to be had was from watching George trying to speak with his tongue hanging out of his mouth. It’s incredibly frustrating that he’s unable to see how damaging his over-the-top favouritism of Poh is for her. I’m sure she would have romped that challenge in – having George panting away in her corner does her no favours. Why didn’t he comment on the brown-ness of her avocado? I certainly noticed it.

Also, her dish did seem to be clearly ahead of the others, which just underscores the pointlessness of the inquisition they’re all subjected to. Grilling them (heh!) on their intentions is surely only relevant if they are otherwise tied. Given that Poh was always going to be safe on the merits of her dish, it just damaged the “brand” to have her simper away about a noodle and dumpling cafe. Jesus, girl, you made dumplings last night and look where it got you! Bottom three! I won’t be heading to Adelaide for your fare, if – indeed – you do open a place. Unlikely.

Bring on the last remaining Moran, and beef up the security, Ten.

2 Jacqui { 06.15.09 at 10:45 pm }

Seriously what is so hard about laying flavoured butter & sliced salmon together? I could do that at home easily! How is that Masterchef? I think the pressure tests are getting worse and worse each week. How about next week we give them a tin of baked beans to heat up?

3 Laura { 06.15.09 at 10:53 pm }

I think I am a clairvoyant too as I just knew that Geni was leaving tonight.
Or maybe I just saw Julie making the wedding cake in a preview for Wednesday night’s episode and knew that if Geni was still in the competition she would undoubtedly be assigned to making it.
Good luck to Justine tomorrow night, she is fast becoming my favourite contestant.

4 Reality Raver { 06.15.09 at 10:53 pm }

Injera – took me 10 secs to get the Moran joke, can tell your from Melbourne. Glad you thought it was dull as well. I watched the episode and then had a total blank on what went on that is how nullified I was.

Jacqui – so agree. I did love the croquembouche challenge because there was drama and heaps of places where it could go wrong. But terrine not great TV, and far too easy. Probably not as easy as the sticky date but getting there.

5 Wurstsemmel { 06.15.09 at 10:56 pm }

Tonight’s episode was the perfect recipe for insomnia. I was sorry to see Geni go but gleeful as the editing made it look like she gave the judges the big (bandaged) finger.

Poh may have produced the best terrine but her response to the judges questions really show a lack of interest and commitment compared to everyone else. Still with George on the panel, she could have announced a desire to open her own McDonalds and he would still have gushed himself silly.

No laden comments from Matt tonight. Shame really – lately that seems to be the most entertaining part.

6 Injera { 06.15.09 at 11:18 pm }

I loved the preview for tomorrow night, when Julie says “Who leaves their wedding cake until the day before?”. Um, the same sort of person who’d let you clowns do the catering.

7 Jacqui { 06.15.09 at 11:20 pm }

Injera- Exactly! Who lets inexperienced people cater their wedding? I guess its one way to make sure your wedding is memorable! Just hope they didn’t have to pay for the food though.

8 Ange { 06.15.09 at 11:36 pm }

I felt a bit sad for Geni tonight. She had no chance when it came to layering that terrine properly. Then again, who puts their fingers into or near a hand blender?

I did actually say to my husband that I thought Geni’s layering of the terrine, with loads of the butter & anchovy mixture, that it was maybe typically Greek culture to “give more” KWIM? The Greek mothers I have met will never let me leave the table until I am falling over with food inside.

As for that annoying eyebrows and blusher Poh woman/girl/child, George’s comment about her opening a restaurant/cafe with her “art” on the walls with expensive prices on each work of “art” – well, we cacked ourselves laughing here. It really rang true. Yet all over the interwebs everyone is saying George has the hots for Poh. After that little remark from George about Poh’s “art” I’m fairly sure the feeling is not reciprocated.

9 Anonymous { 06.16.09 at 12:16 am }

Boo, Andre so should have gone based on that vomit-looking champagne strawberry risotto thing. I feel sorry for Geni, but oh well.

Btw, Channel Ten have given away the winner of the chef challenge yet AGAIN – watch their promos for the wedding episode closely, lol.

10 Kyvyny { 06.16.09 at 12:45 am }

Poor Sarah. She’s barely there but a nice outfit and then gone for the boredom of watching salmon lay atop butter atop salmon, and on and on. Wonder if Sam would have gotten as much gushing for doing nothing had he been in the bottom three.

11 Kitt { 06.16.09 at 1:19 am }

omg. i missed tonite’s episode but all of your comments had me in massive fits of laughter.. i think the eliminations and chef challenges are a bit rigged.. i’m guessing justine goes through to the last week… and maybe Poh, if her biggest fan Chrome Dome has anything to do with it…

12 CG { 06.16.09 at 3:33 am }

I think Poh’s answer about what she is going to do was very insightful and pretty close to the truth. Have you seen her ‘artwork’. You can check it out on http://www.pohlingyeow.com It is pretty clear to me that she is doing MC to get the money and/or just the exposure to publish a book and, just like she said, open a trendy “noodle bar”. She probably has plans to have a little noodle bar in each major city. And of course it is connected with the art. Her art will hang on the walls, but might not be so obviously for sale. She is trying to create a brand. We all know her by one name – Poh! – kinda like Madonna, or Cher, or ??? Whether she wins or loses at this point it doesn’t matter. Job is done! Sure the cash and publishing deal would come in handy. But she can probably get a book deal (recipes with illustrations by ???) even if she drops out this week. I think this was her plan all along. Playing Suzy Wong with George and Gary (and many males in the audience in TV land who are similarly infatuated) was all part of the strategy. Wait and see.

13 Reality Raver { 06.16.09 at 3:45 pm }

CG – your observations are always hilarious and true.

I think the interesting thing now that interviews with Geni are starting to emerge is she thought she should not be in the bottom three. And I think we all agree with that. Sam should have been. Geni did two solid dishes sure they were not one hat restaurant standard, but really whose others were? My only criticism for her was she needed to move a bit out of the Greek cooking vibe. But considering she was pitching her cookbook as recipes from her Grandmother and family this could be why.

Kitt – you did not miss much the episode was a bit dull, but I suppose not all of them can be fabulous.

Kyvyny – Where is Sarah? will take over from Where’s Wally soon.

14 sourkraut { 06.16.09 at 9:04 pm }

more pohmania,
make the challenge a work of art and not cookery, who’s gunna win?????? DUH
Tell her how to flatten the glad wrap and then tell her to make the butter layers thin and then criticise Geni for having made it too thick,
who thought up this challenge anyway? bit strange that it would seriously disadvantage a person with effectively one hand tied behind her back for cutting those itty bitty pieces of salmon and for accurately spreading butter.
Excuse me while I chortle. One of the judges said it would take masterchefs weeks to learn to make a terrine! They must be joking. Even i could do it especially with the amount of coaching poh got. anyway, it all looked pretty ordinary, not something i would pay megabucks for at a restaurant
Oh yes the DUMPLING shop nuff said.

15 Kyvyny { 06.16.09 at 10:26 pm }

One of the few highlights of the ep was Andre psyching Poh out over the height of the terrine. More psychological warfare like that is needed.

16 me { 06.28.09 at 6:42 pm }

your all a bunch of faggots

17 Reality Raver { 06.28.09 at 11:05 pm }

Me – For your information I don’t consider being called a faggot an insult. I think that comment says more about you than the commenters on this blog.