It’s all about Masterchef

Election? What election? The day after the misleadingly named Great Debate, you could be forgiven for thinking that our political leaders had met to discuss the best amada cook in ‘straya.  Fair dinkum, it was all over the news today at home, and abroad.

Here’s a roundup of some (just some – a google news search result returned 1,160 results):

• The Age has been receiving some attention for their recaps, and Karl Quinn provided his take on last night’s shenanigans
  • The Herald-Sun had a front page photograph of Adam, and a wrap-up of the way the final unfolded.
  • John Lethlean, food writer for The Australian, declared the final resulted in two winners, giving Callum high praise for his efforts.
  • Both The Age and the Herald-Sun have photo galleries of the final.
  • The sky-high ratings have been the focus of many stories – Bloomberg and the ABC reported on the record highs, and subeditors at Perth Now, The Gold Coast News and The Australian were reaching for food metaphors.
  • In the US and the UK, the reporting was focussed on the fact that the debate was moved to accommodate a cooking show.
  • And Terry Durack has used the show to flog the dead horse of Melbourne-Sydney rivalry. Yawn. Because it’s all about Sydney and Melbourne, and not about the fact that three of the past four finalists were from South Australia, and none have been from either Sydney or Melbourne.

Both Callum and Adam will be on the 7pm Project tonight, and Marion is making an appearance on Good News Week (Channel Ten, 7.00pm and 8.30pm respectively).

Speaking of television, our very own Reality Raver was on The Morning Show this morning.  I have searched for a link to the video but the Seven site is being uncooperative, informing me that the video is no longer available.  If any of you guys manage to track down a link, please share!

1 Anonymous { 07.26.10 at 8:11 pm }

Damn missed The Morning Show…hopefully a clip will be found soon. For all those wh oant to enter for MC3-start now

2 Anonymous { 07.26.10 at 8:18 pm }

btw thanks Injera for your FANTASTIC blogs when RR was away-I won’t say yours were better than RR(don’t want to offend RR) but they were good so a big thanks to you as well as RR

3 Kaylen { 07.26.10 at 9:13 pm }

Didn’t see you on the Morning Show, but saw you on TT – looking great, as always. 😛

4 Anonymous { 07.26.10 at 9:39 pm }

‘i think the nation just about stopped’-wise words 😉

5 CG { 07.26.10 at 9:43 pm }

Interesting: these are the rules for MC3 applicants that cover previous food experience:

“…
8. You cannot have any formal tertiary or other professional catering qualifications acquired in the last 10 years.

9. All Masterchef contestants must be amateur cooks. If you have previous professional or semi-professional kitchen experience that the producers deem (in their entire discretion) could create an unfair advantage you are not eligible. Guidelines for professional activity that preclude participation as a contestant on Masterchef (and the matters listed in this clause 9 are not exhaustive) are as follows:

a) You cannot have ever worked full-time in a kitchen as a cook, chef or in food preparation
b) You cannot have earned money or payment of any kind from preparing food and/or cooking fresh food in a professional kitchen environment such as a restaurant, café or take-away in a casual or part time capacity for a total of more than 6 weeks in the last 15 years
c) You cannot have taught cooking classes or have done cooking demonstrations or food preparation in any capacity be it casual, part time, full time or contract in the last 15 years
d) If you have worked in food service (as distinct from food preparation) in restaurants or food service coupled with very basic food preparation such as making sandwiches or working in quick service restaurants (e,g McDonalds), this will generally not be considered professional or semi-professional food preparation experience. …”

Wonder if the rules have changed or been tightened for MC3 because surely some of the contestants from MC2 would have been skirting this rules: Jono? Callum? others?

6 Injera { 07.26.10 at 10:23 pm }

Thanks, Anonymous – it’s a huge blast for me to be able to have a part in this. I don’t know how Raver has kept up with the hectic schedule! I was so pleased when she came back, and that was after only a couple of weeks!

CG: interesting points from the application form. I did download the form last year for a squiz but of course I can’t remember how the previous experience restrictions were framed. I’m not a huge fan of the get-out-of-jail-free “If you have previous professional or semi-professional kitchen experience that the producers deem (in their entire discretion) could create an unfair advantage you are not eligible.” Seems to cover a multitude of Jono-work-experience scenarios!

7 seepi { 07.26.10 at 10:49 pm }

I like how they try to be polite about the fact that flipping burgers does not count. I wonder if Subway Sandwich Artists are deisqualified?

I would apply, but I think I am a better armchair cook. I can mash potatoes and make a cake, but I never cook fish, would hate to fillet one, and I really don’t want to chop up pigeons and the like.

8 CG { 07.26.10 at 11:42 pm }

Seepi, I recall RR reported a few weeks ago that a Subway franchise owner was disqualified from entering MC2.

9 littlepetal { 07.27.10 at 9:56 am }

Doesn’t these clauses disqualify that woman who claimed MasterChef stole her idea for the 7 deadly sins from entering the competition. She wasn’t chosen and do not know why.