Masterchef Australia – The Mean Fiddler Team Challenge

Did anyone else notice the bizarrely placed Western Star butter around the Mean Fiddler kitchen? Once a batch of it was placed  on the saucepan rack, and another was place in front of Chelsea’s steaks right in front of the camera. I am sure there must have been more.

Tonight’s team challenge was out at the Mean Fiddler in Rouse Hill. It was girls versus boys and it  looked like a pretty stressful night serving the locals.

They had to create a short order menu of seven items – a burger, a steak with a side and a sauce , fish dish, a bar snack, a special, a salad and a dessert.

The teams were going to be judged on taste of dishes and how they performed in the kitchen.

The team captain was randomly picked depending on who picked up the apron which had the word on it. Rachel was captain of the girls team, and Andrew captain of the boys. I quite liked that it was random as it meant it could not be manipulated.

Here is some thoughts on the episode:

• Chelsea did not appear to like Rachel much as a team leader, she bagged her out for being everywhere around the kitchen at the beginning of the task, and also about the onion sauce;
  • Speaking of sauces when will these contestants learn, when the judges suggest something like using a specific sauce, then do it;
  • George suggest to the girls team to do a herb butter and they continued with the dreadful onion jus, Matt Moran suggested to the guys to do a bernaise sauce, they did a mushroom one.
  • Arena managed to set the grill on fire by cooking not trimmed meat for the stock, to give her props she did not look like she cried about it;
  • But Arena looks like she is a bit of a tough nut, when criticised for putting in powdered stock into the onion jus she quickly threw Rachel under a bus saying she had been told to do so;
  • Matt was having a shocker sending out wrongly cooked steaks and did not put the mushroom sauce on the steak for the judges;
  • Chelsea’s steaks were ok, except she gave the judges a well done rather than a medium, but generally she did a better job then Matt with getting it cooked correctly for the punters;
  • The guys team had 16 plates sent back, and a lot of them were steaks;
  • Highlights for the girls were the salt and pepper prawns, and the burgers, the negatives were the sauce and their strawberry shortcake dessert;
  • Highlights for the boys were the pork belly with scallops, and the delightful Sean and Kumar’s smashed pavlova.
  • Matt Moran criticised the boys team about their salad he said the garnishes were so 1972 –  come on Matt the was no orange or curly leafed parsley in the salad.
  • Matt Moran and George Calombaris need to stop say Yeah? at the end of each sentence;
  • I would have liked to have seen the boys bar snack and the girls special of the day.

The girls team won and they get to have lunch at the Manly Pavilion. One of the boys is up for elimination. Last week the team had to send two lambs down for the slaughter in a challenge where it was hard to pin point blame. However tomorrow night everyone of the team is up for elimination. Which I find a bit unfair considering some made some great dishes, eg Seamus and Kumar, and others were very much to blame for the loss.

1 saffronlie { 05.18.11 at 10:34 pm }

There was also an obvious use of Perfect Italiano cheese. Grr. Seems unnecessary for challenges that aren’t even in the Masterchef kitchen to have such blatant product placement.

What did Sun do tonight?? I thought the girls were done for with the fire and steak sauce issue. But overall I loved the episode and thought it was a great challenge. I just love watching drama, I guess, unlike Dani.

2 JaniceG { 05.18.11 at 10:43 pm }

Agree – will never understand why contestants don’t act on hints from the judges. And also agree that it’s totally unfair that people who did well – like Kumar and Seamus on the dessert and Jay on the pork belly – have to face an elimination because other people (like Mat) screwed up. Or that for one elimination the team picked two people but for this one they all have to cook.

Didn’t anyone on the blue team actually taste the gravy? It didn’t look like the problem with it was very subtle – seems like anyone who would have tasted it would have known not to send it out so maybe Rachel just went by how it looked.

I’ve decided that I wouldn’t fast-forward through MC nearly as much if they promised to eliminate all of the meaningless interview snippets. I’m fine if they add some insight into what was going on or how people were feeling but there should be a rule that they avoid including clips that are blatantly obvious: “I really want to win this challenge”; “I hope we didn’t screw up” “I really don’t want to face elimination” – well, duh!

3 AnnyB { 05.18.11 at 10:45 pm }

Didn’t see all of it, was watching another channel and turned over during the ads, but did hear a comment that they couldn’t make the bernaise as there were no shallots, surprise, surprise, so they decided to make the mushroom sauce.

4 Shelsta78 { 05.18.11 at 10:48 pm }

Product Placement 101:
Each sponsor signs a sponsor deal – this will include:
Actual Ads
Proud Sponsor of Announcements at the start and end of each section before ads start
Product Placement – the product placement clause will stipulate:
1) how many times in each episode or over the whole course of the season the product has to be seen unused
2) how many times in each episode or over the course of the whole season the product has to be seen being used by contestants and judges
3) how many times the product has to be mentioned overall by the judges and contestants.

The product crew that work on this show have a finely honed still at the product placement, many of them have worked before on things like ready steady cook, where the dollars from this sponsorship are the only way the show stays on the air.

Yes its annoying, so were the randomly placed Sunbeam appliances that would not have been part of a commercial kitchen and ridiculous red pasta makers that no-one used.

Thankfully this time it looks like they’re all up for a-limination rather than two people having to put themselves up so we won’t have to go through anyone committing Huri Kuri.

Finally saw some of the people we’ve been wanting to get to know – like Shannon with the strawberry short cake & also Arena. But still yet to see Alana & Adam properly.

Matt’s face when he tasted that sauce (which by the way could never have been a jus even if it worked) was priceless.

All in all it was a pretty good restaurant based team challenge – I’d like to know if any of the girls steaks got sent back – they didn’t seem to specifically mention that none of their meals were returned.

Jay & Kate both looking good from tonight.

5 seepi { 05.18.11 at 10:50 pm }

Product placement is super irritating. And patronising. I wouldn’t mind if they just picked up the butter and used it, but when they zoom in on it, or practically hold it up for the cameras it is very very distracting.

Product placement seems to have moved on to become fully fledged info-mercials in US tv. US biggest loser has ful on infomercials by bob and gillian mid show – cringeworthy.

Gillian will pul a couple of contestants off their treadmills and have a cheesy fake chat to them right in front of a camera, all about no-fat gum, or vitamin water or whatever, while they all hold a pack of it. I hope this heavy handed approach doesn’t take off here.

6 Oshada { 05.18.11 at 10:55 pm }

I have developed a quite convenient selective blindness regarding product placements which greatly helps enjoyment of the show. Sadly, it was spoiled by Mat and his flunkies, and Kumar might be eliminated tomorrow! If that happens I’m taking a break from the show.

7 AnonyMousse { 05.18.11 at 11:04 pm }

The group elimination challenges from this and last week should clearly have been swapped – what were the producers thinking? Last week the groups essentially worked together to create all of the breads as one, making it hard to single out problem people. This week, most dishes were cooked by (or mostly cooked by) a single person and so it would be easy to identify the 2 worst contenders. But no, everyone goes in this time meaning that there’s at least a 3 in whatever (11?) chance of a person who did well in the group test but could go home tomorrow and not have any chance of coming back. That’s not fair, and not fair is not interesting to watch.

Speaking of not coming back, have they said what they’re going to do instead of bringing back contestants? Doing that adds a couple of weeks to the show (which means a couple less weeks of ad revenue milking if they don’t do it). I’m going to go out on a limb and make an early prediction that they’ll keep their word on not bringing back season 3 contestants, but will extend the competition as per the last 2 seasons in some other way by adding contestants from another source – either bringing in losing contestants from previous seasons or other wannabes from a secret pool that spend the last few months in a cooking school or something to make up for the missed experience that they get from being on the main show. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but if I’m not I’ll have bragging rights.

8 AngelSN86 { 05.18.11 at 11:08 pm }

I was looking forward to seeing the guys cook bearnaise sauce as it is my all-time favourite sauce with steak. Surely they could’ve used onions or something to replace the shallots. It was interesting that both teams went so horribly wrong with the steaks though, you would think thats the most straight-forward dish. It looked they were preparing the herb butter (or was that just product placement for the butter, that funnily enough George appears in the ads for) so why didn’t they use it if they spent time on it?

We didn’t seem to see all of the dishes either. We saw both of the steak dishes and dessert dishes but I don’t recall what the special was for the girls, and I also don’t recall the burger, salad or snack for the guys. I did hear the girls mention a caesar salad, and obviously the prawns were the ‘bar snack’. The guys had the pork belly for the special. Did anyone pick up on the dishes I’ve missed?

I’m drawing a complete mental blank as to what a ‘rapid-fire elimination’ involves. Can anyone enlighten me please? :)

9 Pollywaffle { 05.18.11 at 11:40 pm }

Geos innocent ‘try a herbed butter’ hint was the set up for western star promo ….well it could have worked if the master duds would listen. The unappetizing plop of butter on the steak with jus was the pathetic compromise to appease sponsor. Yep it’s all about the food this year.

10 auds { 05.19.11 at 12:02 am }

Totally agree with AnonyMousse……… This weeks cockup king was glaringly obvious being Mat trying (badly) to cook the steak. How the hell do they work it out that they all have to cook tomorrow night – including the ones who did extremely well tonight. They should have gotten the lynch mob out and strung Mat up by his greasy hair.

Last week Tom did SFA wrong and still got booted. grrrrrrr

Sorry – have had my vent now – more wed wine please!

11 davsimp { 05.19.11 at 12:08 am }

Another steaming crock of horse shit. This would have been a golden opportunity to see some dog eat dog, and watch them fight it out to see who would VOLUNTEER themselves up for elimination, or who would NOMINATE someone. Instead, we have all of them facing elimination, even the ones who did a sterling job, cue Seamus and Kumar.

Matt farked up one steak too many, and he practically denied not putting the mushroom sauce on. Hello, it wasn’t on there mate, no one licked it off when you weren’t looking. Own it already!! Also that salad was unforgivable, should have been fed to chooks.

12 auds { 05.19.11 at 12:12 am }

“Hello, it wasn’t on there mate, no one licked it off when you weren’t looking”

hahaha…….. gold!

13 wallah { 05.19.11 at 3:39 am }

It’s Epic Meal Time! Dedicated to Rachel…because tonight, I’m the “Sauce Boss”

All fun aside….good to see the class snobbery happening here. Amazing how many people in Rouse Hill like their steak well done. Refreshing change from the Bronte children’s birthday party last year.

14 Injera { 05.19.11 at 6:10 am }

The butter placement was hilarious during this challenge. Shot of somebody portioning steak? Put some butter in the foreground! @Shelsta, are there times when advertisers look at such ham-fisted placement and ask for their money back?

Oh, Mat really struggled with those medium-well steaks, until exactly the wrong moment. I am not the grill chief in this house, so when I asked the resident meat-flipper about cooking medium-well, he said he’d have no idea how to do it. Mat would have been far better suited to the kids’ party, for sure!

Disappointing that we didn’t see all dishes. FFS, there were only 14. Couldn’t they at least have done as many here on RR suggest and give us a shot of the plates, if no actual commentary?

Davsimp, I thought Mat’s reaction to the missing sauce was in tune with the overall theme this year of “blame the dish”.

15 PollyB { 05.19.11 at 7:26 am }

Yep, should have seen all dishes, even without a commentary. Pathetic.

16 librarygirl { 05.19.11 at 8:00 am }

I do like the different team picking methods, because I like the different dynamics that happen when the contestants have to work with people they may not like. Dani looked annoyed by various people, also Alana.
Didn’t notice the butter – did notice the yogurt Rachel was eating while ironing one day. Someone should do a count for product placement and name and shame. Product placement is greasy.
Just pay for an ad. you cheapskate companies.

17 JaniceG { 05.19.11 at 8:33 am }

So, here’s another question: it was clear early on when steaks started coming back that Mat was clueless about how to cook them except either raw or well done. Was there really no one else on the team who had a clue who might have switched with him?

Everyone seemed to just stay in their little corner. For example, Peter said he noticed that their plates were going out looking like a dog’s breakfast – why didn’t he step up and fix them, or suggest someone be at the pass to examine everything before it went out? Clearly not many people were ordering their salad course so maybe whoever was doing that could have done quality control instead. (Then maybe the gravy would have gotten on all the steaks :-> )

18 Maz { 05.19.11 at 8:35 am }

The Western Star butter was too ‘artfully’ placed to be subtle.

As it has been mentioned above, due to the nature of the challenge individuals should have been up for elimination not teams. Personally, Greasy Goth, Fitness Barbie and Rachael Red Glasses (as the smh has dubbed her) should be up for elimination. Also whoever decided the bunnies needed feeding.

Another problem is that none of the contestants (with the possible exception of Jay) seem to adhere to Strategic Matt’s advice of studying. I recall a Masterclass on cooking steak by Gary. After multiple seasons, you would have a rough idea which challenges are going to appear so practice.

The other thing that struck me last night, is how many potential contestants of MC3 were denied a spot because of their occupation. Yes, there was an over-representation of lawyers last year but this year they seem a bit dimmer.

Slightly unrelated-Woolies have started spruiking Marion’s Kitchen products. Has anyone tried it.

19 Culinary Boner { 05.19.11 at 9:33 am }

Products are placed on sets for this show in much the same way Easter Eggs are for a kid’s treasure hunt…or Steak Tartare was in that Mr Bean sketch for yonks ago. The Mean Piddler (borrowing from bdd here) kitchen staff will probably keep finding hidden stashes of butter next to their Bundy flasks for several months now.

20 Injera { 05.19.11 at 9:43 am }

JaniceG – excellent point! Why DID nobody step up to help/take over the steaks? With 11 contestants on the team and seven dishes, there must have been some extra firepower around somewhere.

Also, I loved how Peter (I think it was him) mentioned early on that “the dishes on the… serving area… look a bit unappetising”, but when it came to a post-shoot interview he had clearly been coached to say “the pass”, sounding a lot more pro.

Eureka! I’ve just realised what Sarah whatsername was supposed to do in the first season! She should have been doing the “expert” commentary (like, “cool the pressure cooker down before opening”, or “don’t overwork the pastry”) so we don’t have to have the added frustration of hearing uninformed muppets spouting lines they’ve been fed.

21 littlepetal { 05.19.11 at 10:00 am }

Librarygirl- Companies pay big bucks for products placing so they are not cutting corners.

No wonder George is angry-he suggested herb BUTTER!!! Maybe he would have got a bonus for giving extra air time to Western Star butter

22 littlepetal { 05.19.11 at 10:03 am }

To lengthen the season if they don’t bring back eliminated contestants they could do an Amazing Race style. When they say someone is going to be eliminated in the elimination challenge, they could say too close to call and no one is going home.

Call me a cynic, Reality show is not reality at all and I expect the worse. Everything is scripted

23 Injera { 05.19.11 at 10:40 am }

Maz – Iron Chef Shellie has road-tested the Marion’s range. She blogged it over here: http://ironchefshellie.com/2011/05/16/product-review-marions-kitchen-thai-cooking-range/

24 librarygirl { 05.19.11 at 10:41 am }

littlepetal – would be really interested to know the cost of product placement versus an advertisement in the ad break for the show. I remember the relentless “hey good lookin'” series of butter ads. in MC2. Does anyone reading here know how much these different sorts of ads cost? Sheer idle curiosity. We need Todd and Russell from the Gruen transfer here to help!

25 Culinary Boner { 05.19.11 at 10:54 am }

Injera, the review of Marion’s range quite interesting. Thanks for posting it. May have to give it a try.

26 Fides { 05.19.11 at 11:26 am }

I’m annoyed now. I missed all the product placement as I was crocheting while watching/listening to MC last night. I’m so glad I didn’t actually have to hear Geo spruiking the western star herb butter – will that be next? And do all cooking shows do this ? I watched Justine Schofield’s show once and she was talking up the best type of chook to roast with which of course is the show’s sponsor.

This is the question I have though which has been bugging me since last year… as the talking head commentaries are done in the following days, but the contestants wear the same clothes as the challenge, I want to know the laundry situation. I imagine their clothes would reek most days after cooking and esp after last night’s ep, so : do they all rush home, throw their clothes in the wash at midnight, have it dried and ironed for filming the following day, or does “wardrobe” supply two sets of the same clothes? I reckon they have producers just in charge of the laundry and wardrobe/make up continuity … Jay – yellow shirt, check. Rockabilly girl whose name I can’t remember -cherry red lips, check. Mat and Seamus would be pretty easy to remember though.

I remember even with last year’s finale when there was two weeks between the finale and the announcement, everyone wore the same clothes, so there must be someone in charge.

If anyone knows, please tell – I really wanna know!

27 Maz { 05.19.11 at 11:28 am }

Library Girl-there was an article last year in SMH that estimated the figure to be $3million for a company to get their product ‘placed’. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/integrity-issues-masterchef-proves-a-tasty-cash-cow-20100419-snkj.html

Injera-thanks for the link

28 librarygirl { 05.19.11 at 1:04 pm }

thanks Maz – interesting link.

29 sourkraut { 05.19.11 at 1:56 pm }

Only saw the first 15 minutes but that was enough.
Whats all the bullshit about sauces? When one goes to a cafe like the piddlers three or wotever, I have observed most people who order steak dont have it with sauce, or like my very pig ignorant self ,have it with GASP ScHlock HORROR of Horrors… Tomato sauce and Must-turd. I have not yet seen anyone that has steak with bernaise sauce!
Anyhoo, enjoyed the BBQ, that would have given the Joos a lovely smokey flavour nyuck nyuck nyuck.
RAVER
Enuff of this TOSH!
How about you do a blog on the new British Comedy/documentary “An idiot abroard” ? I watched it late last night, the anti-hero got sent to China, and although he questioned much of the culture etc over there, he did it in a NON WHINGEY way.. It was just a matter of fact observation of his, and the show had a certain charm to it. Likewise he at least HAD A GO at everything, right down to the traditional Chinese massage which loked extremely painful. I DISAGREED strenuously with his opinions, but the scenery, the food the Kung fu lesson at 4am and the old real section of the wall he visited were extremely interesting. Next ep he goes to the Taj mahal, so looking forward to thatSO HOWZABOUTIT?

30 Suziekue { 05.19.11 at 4:05 pm }

I just about puked when Matt got chatted about the size of the raw steaks, he reached up and scratched his greasy head. Saw him scratching again later when he was standing with the group. Can someone put me out of my misery and give him a bottle of anti dandruff shampoo!!! oohh oohhh light bulb moment – another PRODUCT PLACEMENT OPPORTUNITY!! *imagines bottles of Head and Shoulders placed not so discreetly around the MC kitchen*.

31 Culinary Boner { 05.19.11 at 4:22 pm }

Suziekue
Matt the WoW Greaser is probably taking his cue from BurgerWorld – the fastfood establishment last seen as so desperate for workers it employed Beavis & Butthead:-

EPISODE: “Tainted Meat”

Butt-head: Dammit Beavis, put that away. You’re not supposed to have your penis out while you’re cooking.
Beavis: Oh…oh yeah. [angry customer drives away]
Butt-head: Err, can I take your order?
Butt-head: Uhh…what seems to be the problem there, Beavis?
Beavis: My thingie itches. It’s like the wrong color or something…check it out.
Butt-head: Uhh…no thanks, Beavis.
Beavis: (continuing to scratch his pubic area) Ow, rrr, ehh! Ahh!
TV Reporter: An outbreak of tainted meat has struck the local Burger World, and once again raised the question of how meat should be handled.
Butt-head: Huhuhuh…ask the expert.
Beavis: Shut up, Butt-head! (continues scratching)
TV Reporter: Pending a health inspection, Burger World will remain closed.
Beavis: This sucks!
Butt-head: Yeah! We lost our jobs!
Beavis: No! My weiner still itches!
Butt-head: Face it Beavis, you have a problem with your penis. Maybe you should wash it or something.
Beavis:Yeah, I’ll just…wait, with water? No way, then it’ll get all wet.

32 Pollywaffle { 05.19.11 at 4:34 pm }

all could be solved re the dry scalp situation – Mat Goth can give Matt P a bit of coiffing advice

BTW is it possible Mat Goth heard ‘burn your ass’ instead of ‘bernaise’ – yup that would account for the steak cardboard

33 JC { 05.19.11 at 4:34 pm }

A few thoughts on this episode.

I can’t believe it’s not butter? Thank goodness the girls didn’t use the butter as it spared a promo from Western Star, “as used in the MasterChef kitchen. Western Star, available at all good supermarkets (except Woolworths).”

My Electronic Programming Guide explained the “rapid fire” elimination will be over three rounds. I’m guessing that the least impressive over each round will continue through each round of elimination. Don’t think Kumar is going. Think that is a fakeout from the editors. Gary wincing probably due to the spices Kumar added.

I thought both leaders were pathetic. Would have been better if the judges did what they did last year and said that it was a draw so both teams have to send in their screw-ups. Andrew never stepped up in the leadership role. Never delegated the salad. Never thought of using onions as a replacement for the shallots. Mat should be thrown to the wolves along with Peter for not voicing his thoughts on the salad. Over on the girls team, Rachel should be thrown into the gladiatorial pit for her flightiness and stubborness to save the onion sauce. Arena should be tossed in with Chelsea because, let’s face it, when I order steak & chips, I don’t care that the chips are cooked well. If the steak is wrong, I’m sending it back.

This episode clearly demonstrate that a lot of contestants see being the leader as a poisoned chalice and act like scared little kittens when in the role. The only contestant that demonstrated any leadership so far was Tom and he meekly volunteered to go into the elimination challenge last week. Bring back the old schoolyard pick at these team challenges. I want to see who the contestants think are crappy cooks or troublemakers within a team environment. That way if there is a stuff-up during a challenge, the leader has to take responsibility because he/she selected his/her team, instead of shirking responsibility during (unfair) team elimination challenges.

Jay has been getting a good edit thus far. Makes me think he goes far. But why does he get all the credit for the pork belly special? It may have been his idea but it was Billy who helped him prepare it AND was most likely Billy’s recipe. Is Jay getting the Marion edit? Remember when Marion and Alvin were working together in the London Challenge to recreate Heston Blumenthal dish and yet Marion gets all the praise?

The person who goes home tonight is someone we have not seen much cooking from and has not been shown a background/story arc. If that logic is taken, I would say Michael and Adam are in trouble. Followed closely by Andrew, Seamus, and Peter. Mat will stay as the editors is setting him up to be the next smirking contestant ala Chris from Season One.

34 akris { 05.19.11 at 4:34 pm }

urgh! Hating the inconsistencies with the eliminations and lack of though on who has to go up for elimination. Totally agree with AnonyMousse, how is it that last week’s challenge needed two people to go into elimination where there was very little accountability in terms of skills and responsibilities and then this week the entire team is up for elimination even those that did well in the challenges. in the very least, the ones that have done well should not be up for elimination.. that’s Jay, Seamus, and Kumar.. at least with some consistencies then there’s less suspicion of favoritism and bias… !

on another gripe!! why does Chelsea have to be the commentator for everything!!!?? does no other contestant talk??! Seriously sometimes she has very little to do with the episode and yet she’s commentating on the entire thing…

35 Pollywaffle { 05.19.11 at 4:34 pm }

not sure how it accounts for the steak on the floor though?

36 brain dead dave { 05.19.11 at 4:45 pm }

Ch Ten must think they’ve given their gloden goo$e a good enough kick in the guts as they’ve stopped ecoring Ma$terchef in the afternoons. Justine Schofield from season 1 has her show on now at this time. She’s a lot easier on the eye than Julie (Oi’ll just throw sum more cream in) Goodwin.

Mat is coming over like a bad impersonation of Kurt Cobain. He’ll just need to squeeze his hair to get some jus happening that the judges will go ape droppings over. I did see his snivelling performance with the mute on,his behaviour didn’t smell like team spirit to me. Has enormous villain potential.

PS Justine does costume changes to boot,whereas Julie Goodwin always looks like a greasy bundle of rags.

37 JC { 05.19.11 at 5:32 pm }

Sorry, did I saw Mat is being set-up as the smirker of this season ala Chris from Season One? I think one can reasonably substitute Chris with Andre. Both were very good at smirking.

38 SaintsDeano { 05.19.11 at 9:20 pm }

Arena produced her own “fireball” when the grilled meat caught fire. I thought both teams did bad. Both captains and one other should have been up for elimination.

39 Photoman { 05.23.11 at 6:20 pm }

Re the continuity over days of shooting. As with a movie or a TV serial there is a stills photographer on set who shoots throughout. The pictures are checked to see if the person or set looks the same. I used to pick mistakes on shows all the time and remember them on Hey Hey?
I remember last year with Marion and the cutaway head shot but with different earrings. I saw one towards the end of the series with the eliminated contestant leaving the MC kitchen. Walked to the double doors in a pait of jeans but came out the other side with a different pair on. I believe it was raining on the first shoot so they redid the outside shot a day later. Someone didn’t check the picture close enough.

40 Fides { 05.24.11 at 1:05 pm }

Thanks Photoman. Nice spotting about Marion’s earrings and the jeans – I would never notice stuff like that!

The question though, with regards to the talking head commentaries is why bother with the continuity? Are we meant to believe that it’s all done in real time and the MC producers can pluck any contestant out during the task, sit them in that little room and have them give a running update? Or do they think we’ll get confused if they wear different clothes we don’t know what event they’re talking about? I don’t watch much reality TV – do all shows do it like this?

I remember it was so ridiculous last year when the bottom 3 went to Melbourne for the pressure test when it was ostensibly a rush to get to airport and finish cooking by 12 noon in Melbourne or whatever, but there was still enough time for them to give commentaries in the Sydney set.

41 Photoman { 05.24.11 at 1:43 pm }

Well I don’t work for Fremantle Media but is that any different from the crew rushing to the airport then suddenly being in London? Or the person (can’t remember who) getting booted in London and “you won’t see your friends again”. You don’t think they weren’t all booked back on the same flight? Then the next show we are back in the MC Kitchen but that actually took about 2 weeks because of the volcano in Iceland.

Well consider this one. At the end of a challenge the judges need to taste 24 dishes. How fair is it for the 24th person who’s meal has been sitting on the bench for an hour compared to the 1st one tasted? If you notice too the benches are always cleaned down for the tasting after cooking so that has already happened and probably took 15 mins. How do all those meals taste cold? Pasta or fish sitting there for an hour before it is served?

It was mentioned last year in the Celeb Chef Challenge when a dish served wasn’t the one plated that there was a considerable delay between them finishing the dish and being presented. It was explained that cameras and lights had to be repositioned etc and that the contestents were allowed to replate it to be fresh for the judges! So what you SEE plated at the end of the hour is NOT what is served to the juges as was picked by several viewers.

Does anybody believe that the cast of Survivor are all alone in the desert or an island, except for the 3 TV crew per person, plus the standby medical crew and the caterers for the crew etc

It’s a TV show and they COULD fake the moon landing if they wanted too.

42 Fides { 05.24.11 at 2:30 pm }

Oh don’t get me started on the going to London timeline! That was even dumber how one of the contestants commented about rushing to pack, then get to check-in desk and actually describe going through that passengers only section, all the while giving the commentary on the normal set. Regardless of Icelandic volcanoes mucking up schedules, they must take us for fools for believing their timeline.

Junior MC was a disgrace in the end, for being deceitful about how much time elapsed between the reveal of ingredients and how the kids were actually given one night to prepare for challenges.

Wish MC would do a behind the scenes episode to explain how it all actually happens with the tastings. They never will though, will they?

Anyway, this year I like to believe these contestants are all bona fide actors playing carefully scripted characters rather than real people…it’s making MC more fun. But it’s a bit implausible that there’s a guy who looks like he’s walked off the set of Home and Away, who is also a qualified marine biologist, who’s a good guy (I read a funny comparison between him and a golden retriever) and who can actually cook.

43 Photoman { 05.24.11 at 2:44 pm }

Oh do tell about Junior MC? I haven’t heard that one. I’m assuming there was some ‘planning time’ built in? Not only deceitful then but can you imagine the pressure for kids watching who are under the impression that these ‘super kids’ threw this together in 5 minutes? Now they think they are dumber for taking 10 mins to come up with sausages in onion gravy with mashed potato!

44 Fides { 05.24.11 at 2:54 pm }

Apparently the terms and conditions stated that the kids would get one night to prepare for each dish. Then the MC website showed a photo of a handwritten recipe for a dish which one of the kids cooked in the invention test. The writing was clearly an adult’s, and the instructions were pretty specific, right down to “taste the food and add salt if you think it needs it” or something like that. The recipe was obviously done beforehand, as the protein was not specific (eg it was a chicken or fish pie). I assume that the kids were told the theme and three possible ingredients for the invention test, then given a night to prepare. Of course in MC land, we (and all those kids out there) would be led to believe that the mystery box and invention test happen on the same day, and the kids just make up these brilliant recipes on the spot.