Masterchef Australia: Devon Not Happy That Sarah Quit And Left His Head To Roll

There has been comments on this blog wondering why didn’t Sarah stick around for the elimination challenge to spare Devon going home? Devon was not happy and TV Week has his and her view on this controversial issue.

The article states:

Devon’s Take – Devon, 30, is bitterly disappointed to be out of the competition so soon and believes he has been spared if Sarah hadn’t quit when she did. Sarah dropped her bombshell before the judges had announced which contestants would be fighting for their place in the competition – a move Devon describes as a “bone of contention” among the other contestants.

“Sarah had things on her mind and she didn’t step up on the night,” he says. “Perhaps she should’ve waited to see whether or not she was going to be ousted and then announced [she was quitting] after that.”

The judges nominated team leader Jonathan and Devon as the two weakest contestants from the first off-site challenge, which saw the red and blue teams running a restaurant each for the night. Devon who postponed his wedding to take part in the show, says it’s taken him a long time to come to terms with his elimination, as he doesn’t believe he deserved to be in the bottom two.

“Sarah was the weakest link,” he remarks. ” She had a breakdown and I spent about 10 minutes trying to get her back. So I suppose you’re always going to be a little bit upset for being put on the chopping block when you feel you shouldn’t have been.”

Devon says that taking time off work to compete in Masterchef has cost him financially, and it’ll be a while before he can reschedule his wedding to childhood sweetheart Cat.

“Once the cash flow is coming through properly again, we’ll make another date,” he says. “It’s been a bit of a struggle financially but it was worth it.”

Sarah’s Take – Mum-of -two Sarah admits she was hoping to spare someone an elimination by dropping out of the competition, but says it’s pointless to speculate about whether she would have ended up in the bottom two.

“Mentally, I wasn’t in a position where I felt I would have been able to do an elimination challenge,” she reveals.

“I think if I had, I would’ve had another breakdown. But you can’t predict it – I don’t know if I would have  been in the bottom two anyway.”

In fact, the 30 year old says she broke down during the restaurant challenge because she’d already made the tough decision to leave the competition.

“If I had gone before the team challenge, it would have left my group one member short, and I didn’t want to do that,” Sarah explains. “It was really hard – I was ready to go but I had to continue.”

The trigger for Sarah’s shock withdrawal came during a quick trip home to see her two sons, Harrison, three, and Sam, seven months.

“Sam didn’t recognise me when I came home,” she says. “He gave me this blank look and that weighed heavily on my mind. I had to look at the big picture and make the decision that my place was at home.”

Now back at work with the Victorian Police, Sarah admits she still feels and occasional twinge of regret.

“As time goes by, I’m kicking myself a little bit – I’m really wondering how far I might have got,” she says. “But there’s no point in having regrets – I might get another opportunity, I might not – because, at the end of the day, I had to put my family first.”

I am on Team Devon for this one, so she didn’t want to let the team down but could not wait a few more days to leave to face the elimination challenge even though it would have been a farce? Also the producers had to  have an elimination otherwise they would have had no Thursday night episode, and at the beginning of the series it is important to maintain momentum. I would love Devon to have a second chance.

George Calombaris in his column in the TV Week reveals this little vignette:

“….I definitely have my favourites. I can’t say who they are, mind! There are others who are playing to the camera, but they always end up going. The good ones will always win this show – you just can’t fluke good food.!”

Very interesting indeed, the people with the most air time have been Alvin, Marion, Callum, and Kate. I wonder if he meant it was any of those four. We can count Daniel out I am yet to see him. Any guesses?

1 MolksTVTalk { 05.05.10 at 2:16 pm }

Cameron=Callum?

To use a corny phrase, the cream will rise to the top. Expecting it. Also seeing all the “players” starting to reveal themselves. Tragics.

2 Reality Raver { 05.05.10 at 2:22 pm }

Oops, changed now. Must have been thinking of something else.

3 Laura { 05.05.10 at 2:37 pm }

If I were the producers, I would have used the Thursday night slot to bring back the best 4 of the top 50 and have them vy for Sarah’s place in the top 24. Sounds fair to me!

4 Laura { 05.05.10 at 2:38 pm }

Playing to the camera… Jake? Phil?

5 brain dead dave { 05.05.10 at 2:45 pm }

I love how Devon glossed over the elephant in the room -his inviting early bird customers to come in and do nothing before the restaurant was open for business. Who can he blame for that?

6 akris { 05.05.10 at 3:35 pm }

I’m on Devon’s side… especially as he did make a lot of sacrifices (well they all did, but perhaps more than others) to get on the show.. Sarah should’ve just waited one more day. But i guess when you’re emotional you do things without really thinking… I would like for him to have a second chance… i think the mistake he did.. well I think the other contestants got lucky that they weren’t in his shoes… i know I probably would’ve made the same mistake.

7 Gifts { 05.05.10 at 6:43 pm }

It is such a shame that the timing of the resignation was almost of more importance than the resignation itself. It is always utterly frutrating when these reality contestants nominate and then, in the thick of the action and pressure and experience, suddenly morph and buckle into whimpering homebodies. Must be dreadful to cast for shows like this.

8 rusty { 05.05.10 at 11:10 pm }

How noble of Sarah to think that her family should come first – did that not occur to her before until the middle of a team challenge?

9 Mama'sMilk { 05.06.10 at 4:37 pm }

I bet Sarah is kicking herself now, having sacrificed the competition for her family … if her kids are anything like mine, they give blank looks pretty regularly and often pretend they don’t know who I am (and I see them every day)

I feel sorry for Devon too since it wasn’t even a cooking mistake. This is meant to be Masterchef, not “who has worked in a restaurant before”

10 Fides { 05.07.10 at 1:17 pm }

It’s not the timing which is entirely Sarah’s fault though. I’m sure she would have indicated her intentions to leave the show, then the producers would have told when and how the decision would be announced. It’s like with Nick last year, he said the producers tried to talk him out of it several times before he announced it to Gary.

It’s more important to them that they have a Thursday night show than do things fairly in this competition. If she had stayed till the blue team’s loss was announced, then the judges would have chosen her for elimination (because they would already know she was going to leave anyway) and she could have pulled out then – though of course everyone would then think she pulled out because of being in the bottom two. I’m sure Channel Ten could have stretched out that drama a bit to make a Thursday night show…

I hope Devon gets a chance to cook his way back in the comp – I recall Matt said one of the unfair things about last year was that contestants were invited back without earning it. Which may mean this year, they’ll still be open to eliminated contestants coming back, but having to earn their place first?

11 sourkraut { 05.07.10 at 2:48 pm }

Utter crap george. Chris b would have won if what you say about fluking good food is true.