MKR – The Final! (Open Post)

It all comes down to this: Sammy and Bella vs Kane and Lee, or – as some seem to want to insist – NSW vs Victoria.  But before there were only these two couples, there were others, including (babe) our South (babe) Australian (babe) contenders, Anne-Marie and Nick, who revealed to Adelaide Now that this might not be something they’d ever do again.  (So… no all-star season appearance?)

Back to tonight: whose cuisine will reign supreme?  Well, Channel 10 has invited RR to a nicely (cunningly?) timed launch of their own little competitive cooking show, so she is unable to blog this final for us tonight.  Not wanting to leave you dedicated fans in the lurch, here’s a post for you to discuss your thoughts/opinions/observations/puns as the show goes to air.  And afterwards.

And if you are on Twitter, I hope you are following @realityraver – who knows, she might tweet some juicy tidbits from the Masterchef launch!

1 poisonus { 04.13.11 at 7:56 pm }

the outfits looked like masterchef vs conviction kitchen!

2 chels { 04.13.11 at 8:08 pm }

mashed avo isn’t exactly hard to achieve.

3 Wurstsemmel { 04.13.11 at 8:31 pm }

Crafty old 10. Thanks for the open post RR

4 davsimp { 04.13.11 at 8:39 pm }

My word, but it is a Time Warp.
With Manu’s velvet suit, Karen’s 80’s frock and Lee’s Flock of Seagulls haircut, all we needed was ‘Girls on Film’ (sorry Kane) or perhaps ‘Hungry Like the Wolf’ blaring out and we would have been transported back thirty years.

5 Wurstsemmel { 04.13.11 at 8:39 pm }

*drumming fingers*

It’s a bit quiet here. Everyone must be off listening to their Altiyan cds

6 Wurstsemmel { 04.13.11 at 8:41 pm }

I thought Karen had had a misadventure with a roll of tin foil

7 Injera { 04.13.11 at 8:42 pm }

Love the fashion commentary! Now I’m thinking of Pulp Fiction though (Flock of Seagulls).

Heh – Wurstsemmel – do you think the X Factor fans will come in from the cold?

So… who’s winning? Celebrity Apprentice has my divided attention, but I am interested in how the Stephen Bradbury couple is doing.

8 Wurstsemmel { 04.13.11 at 8:46 pm }

Skating on thin ice Injera, thin ice

The more Manu and Pete stress how close it is, the more I’m convinced it’s a done deal

9 Wurstsemmel { 04.13.11 at 8:50 pm }

Toby Puttock is adding such value as usual….’Amazing’…..’Let’s……yes, let’s….ditch him before the next series

10 Injera { 04.13.11 at 8:51 pm }

I think Toby is there to make other people seem charismatic.

11 Wurstsemmel { 04.13.11 at 8:52 pm }

He’d make a cane toad seem charismatic

12 Cherkin { 04.13.11 at 9:09 pm }

Please not Kane and Lee! I can’t handle the hair.

13 Wurstsemmel { 04.13.11 at 9:15 pm }

Nope. That would be a hair raising finale but I think the girls have it

14 Cherkin { 04.13.11 at 9:24 pm }

Whew! That was definitely the right decision.

15 Torn. { 04.13.11 at 9:40 pm }

I think this is a rather unfair final. Sammy and Bella are cooking Mediterranean cuisine, and Kane and Lee are cooking Japanese/Chinese cuisine. Aren’t Guy, Manu, Karen and Toby all European cuisine chefs? I think a lot of the Asian techniques used in Kane and Lee’s cooking should have been more praised, whilst the techniques used within Sammy and Bella’s cooking were continuously emphasized. Overall, I’m very torn over who should have won (especially when Bella had a meltdown, why wasn’t this taken into account? She seemingly cannot deal with the pressure involved in long haul cooking), and would have loved to have seen how things would have turned out if there was a chef on panel who was an expert in Asian cuisine. Tonight, although I feel doubts over the entire finals and semi finals this week as a whole, I was thoroughly impressed with both teams, well done Sammy and Bella!

16 PollyB { 04.13.11 at 9:59 pm }

Both teams were great tonight. 10/10 twice, that is a big call I’d reckon. Anyway, at the end I don’t really care who won, I enjoyed the series.
Davsimp, you are taking me back to high school! Sorry Lee, the hairstyle looks absurd. They did it much better ‘in my day’!
Wurstsemmel and others – agree, Toby is as dull as dishwater. Everything is bloody ‘gorgeous’.

17 jord { 04.13.11 at 9:59 pm }

Congrats to Sammy and Bella! I thought Toby looked a bit tired, like he had been out all night the night before in the same suit.

18 Littlepetal { 04.13.11 at 10:30 pm }

Both teams did well. Kane and Lee managed to up their game and did not disgrace themselves. Big sigh !!!! Need to recuperate and get ready for Masterchef. Got my knifes sharpened and I am ready to go !!!!

PS: Look like the Asians are doing well in the Aussies cooking shows. Winner or runner up have been Asians. I saw some Asians contestants in the new Masterchef. Hard act to follow as expectations are high.

19 Rob { 04.13.11 at 10:34 pm }

Rigged! Just like MasterCrap… Sammy & Bella remind me of Julie: the appropriate sob/crybaby/sooky la la episode, plus the producers choose the winners because they have to sell more books and generate more viewers for the broadcaster. Dodgy. MKR – Mostly Krap Rules.

20 brain dead dave { 04.13.11 at 10:46 pm }

MKR Mediocre Kitsch Rules

MKR Manu’s Kitchen Rort

21 Pollywaffle { 04.13.11 at 11:07 pm }

Didn’t Toby spend like a full year in Italy doing a cookbook ? – that said the suit is inexcusable

22 brain dead dave { 04.13.11 at 11:07 pm }

MKR Manu’s Knob Roams

23 brain dead dave { 04.13.11 at 11:15 pm }

I think the Fieldel and Buttock suits were the outstanding failures of the night.

24 Wurstsemmel { 04.13.11 at 11:39 pm }

Manu channelling Prince…..

25 Jasmin { 04.13.11 at 11:43 pm }

For a second I thought Manu was going to announce Sammi and Bella the ‘My Kitchen Rulers’.

All of the dishes looked good, and the NSW girls did have the most professional looking plates. Pete managed to keep his usual poker face, while in contrast Lee looked like she was about to orgasm with every mouthful.

The final was great to watch with all of the teams coming back for the showdown. I think Kane and Lee should have won the Endeavour award for Most Improved but Sammi and Bella deserved to win.

26 brain dead dave { 04.13.11 at 11:44 pm }

Manu does “When Spatchcocks Cry”

27 Jasmin { 04.13.11 at 11:48 pm }

Or ‘Raspberry Brulee’

28 brain dead dave { 04.13.11 at 11:52 pm }

Superb work, Jasmin.

Don’t forget “Cream”….”When Doves Fry”

29 Kaylen { 04.13.11 at 11:55 pm }

Enjoyed it greatly!

But did anyone see the two TAS cops?

30 Jasmin { 04.13.11 at 11:57 pm }

LOL. Nothing Compares To (Man)U, BDD :)

31 brain dead dave { 04.14.11 at 12:01 am }

I didn’t Kaylen….maybe they were undercover?

Keep ’em coming Jasmin. Am running out of gas.There’s still Purple Grain…

32 davsimp { 04.14.11 at 12:27 am }

ROFLMAO,
“when spatchcocks cry”
“raspberry brulee”
you guys are killing me.

OK, what have I got?
Little red courgette.
Sorry, best I could do at this time of night.

33 brain dead dave { 04.14.11 at 12:30 am }

I’ll raise you one “Alphabet Sweet”,davsimp

This is better fun than Letterman. I’m gagging on his gags.

34 davsimp { 04.14.11 at 12:34 am }

Kaylen, good point, didnt see the tassie cops at all. There was obviously a drug bust in Mount Thomas or Summer Bay.

35 davsimp { 04.14.11 at 12:43 am }

ok BDD, never one to back down from a challenge, I am about to take lame to a new level. “I could never take the place of your man(u)”

36 davsimp { 04.14.11 at 12:45 am }

and whilst I am on a sausage roll: “Thieves in the Tempura”

37 davsimp { 04.14.11 at 12:46 am }

“pink Kashmir”
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEBODY STOP ME!!

38 brain dead dave { 04.14.11 at 12:55 am }

I’m rooted. I only know one more Prince song…Let’s Go Glazy and I can’t think of anything.

So yours is a song title ,right? Is that a Tim Hardin?

Stand By Your Man(u).

I could build on yours to I Could Never Take The Plaice of Your Man(u}

39 anonymice { 04.14.11 at 1:03 am }

All i can say is thank goodness we did not have to put up with the “babe” team today! I think after 5 courses of “babe,” I would have got up and smashed the TV!! Watching those two was like watching a car accident in slow motion. Grating stuff….

Well done Sammy and Bella – very much deserved!

On a side note, anyone else notice that during Cook Offs and timed challenges contestants manage to finish their meals and plate up with only seconds to spare WITHOUT FAIL? Challenges ALWAYS come down to the wire? (And, no my use of CAPS does not mean I am Kerrie from previous Altiyan posts…). No, forgotten broccoli or fish on only 8 out of the 9 plates. (I stand corrected).

I’m sure that we did not even witness this phenonomen during Masterchef days, where in some instances contestants simply did not finish. I remember a couple of times where contestants would be granted an extra 10 minutes or so… MKR feels so structured…so perfect…. for my liking (almost like Manu’s velvet ensemble today)…

40 davsimp { 04.14.11 at 1:22 am }

yeh, anonymous, agreed, every night, oh “we will be lucky to plate up a dish at this rate” and “down to the wire” yawn, funny how they always had the whole things plated though.

Ok, BDD, I got one more, “I would die for (tof) u”

41 davsimp { 04.14.11 at 1:28 am }

sorry anonymous, I meant anonymice

42 Chels { 04.14.11 at 8:15 am }

Just heard an interview this morn with Bella.. She said her meltdown occurred before the time had even started.. Clever editing!

43 Reality Raver { 04.14.11 at 1:17 pm }

LOL BDD, Jasmin and Davisimp at your puns

Chels – Oh those reality TV producers are just plain evil, manipulating us like that.

44 Liberty { 04.14.11 at 1:26 pm }

Wonder how long it took to film the finale? Anyone notice the fat on top of the stock for the beef sukiyaki had solidified? That wouldn’t happen for hours after boiling. Production break, I guess.
Wonder if Manu’s accent will have the same proportional increase in French(ness) next year?