The Amazing Race – Team Dickheads Triumph

Clearly Joey and Richard don’t believe in karma, as Joey brushed away her overtaking Mel and Alana in last week’s episode as “some people are just too emotional”. There was some karmic payback when they got the dodgy taxi driver from Hong Kong Airport who took them to Aberdeen Tunnel, rather than the Aberdeen dock.

However from then their luck did turn for the better.

The teams had to fly from Vietnam to Hong Kong get a taxi to Aberdeen Marina Club and then get a ferry to the Jumbo Chinese Restaurant where their own table was awaiting them with 1000 fortune cookies on them with one cookie holding a clue.

Tyler and Nathan were the first of the teams to leave the pitstop. However, all the teams were on the same plane from Ho Chi Minh so it was a level playing field.

The farmers were finding Asia not their scene. One drawled “I could handle the pace of Melbourne after this”.

Sam and Renae the models from WA were saying they we are not blond bimbos, however they did not prove it when they said “Where is Hong Kong? Singapore?” Wouldn’t you inhale an atlas if you knew you were going on the show?

The first ferry to the restaurant left the dock leaving Christina and Anastasia at the there – did he say the f word?

“Left muscles and Bambi their shaking their fists” said Dave from biker couple. I am loving their laconic sense of humour.

All the teams caught up at the Jumbo Floating Restaurant after biting into the cookie they then had to read out the middle.

For Team entrepeneurs or as I have termed the Team Fuckwits this was inspiring as it was all mantras. She was yelling out “you will be a winner” and unfortunately she found the clue first, and it was a fast forward which meant if they did it they could fast track to the pit stop if they completed one challenge.

They are clearly not well liked, as one team yelled out “come on guys someone has to follow them.” And it was Mo and Mos. I love Mo and Mos, but I would not be putting money on them to win the race. They bumble around at the bottom of the pack most of the time. Put it this way I was not feeling hopeful they would catch them.

The fast forward at the temple was the first team to get their head shaven would win the fast forward and then race to the pit stop. Joey who confessed she loved her hair so much she had brought her hair straightener on the race was all for doing it. But the way she said to the monk “I have hair extensions” in a bad chinese/french accent as if that makes it so much easier to understand…..NOT.

Of course she had to yell “bring it” and do fist pumps while it was being done. I would love to know what they think of their edit.

The pit stop was the A Ma Cultural Village and of course Richard and Joey were first to arrive.

All the other teams went for the detour it was a choice between Dancing lion or Kung Fu, both involved learning moves and replicating them, however Kung Fu had the added issue of breaking six tiles.

Mo and Mos had to go back to the detour, as they said “we were so in love with coming in first” they had automatically gone on the Fast Forward but missed it.

Tyler and Nathan meanwhile were at Kung Fu and they were struggling to remember the routine. As were most teams.

In fact Ann-Marie and Tracey left Kung Fu to go to the lion dance.

Nathan and Tyler ended up being the first to leave the detour, and head to Macau unlucky for them a lot of the teams caught up with them on the ferry terminal.

Mo and Mos were doing the dance and were hilarious they said “I had to stick my head near parts of body I don’t want to stick my head near”. Once they got to the gambling tables at the Casino they again said “they were not good muslims.”

I was amused that Sam who was a VIP dealer at the Perth casino had no idea how to play baccarat. Actually even after seeing them all play I still don’t get it. By the way props to Renae for the way she smashed the six tiles back at the detour.

At the Casino Alana and Mel were the first to get out of there. Renae and Sam were the next, but they got the bad taxi driver .

The Roadblock was having to put the the Chinese Astrology in order. Alana and Nathan worked together and completed it efficiently and ran to the pitstop. Making them second and third. Dave and Kelly were team number four, followed by the Farmers.

Renae and Sam cracked at the Roadblock and used their express pass to get through. Personally I thought they panicked. Mo and Mos gave up and did not complete the Roadblock and took the  4 hour time penalty. Meanwhile Ann-Marie had to keep on plugging away but decided to default as well and her and Tracey were eliminated from the race.

Mo and Mos when called onto the pitstop said there is nothing to celebrate here. It was a bit of a lacklustre finish by both of them. They will have to get lucky next week as they will start 4 hours behind the eight teams.

1 AnonyMousse { 05.30.11 at 9:49 pm }

Always a terrible thing when you’re down to the last 2 teams and you don’t want either of them to be last. Sigh… oh well, I never seriously thought they’d make it too far anyway, but it was fun while it lasted. Bit of a copout that the forfeits were used, but I’m guessing they were there for a lot longer then we thought, and the toll of the short rest stops/long plane journeys is probably starting to wear on them already.

I notice that the producers are making the same mistake that early seasons of the American version did, where they say ‘The last team Will be eliminated’ for elimination rounds and ‘The last team May be eliminated’ for non-elimination rounds (actually I noticed it last week, but figured that maybe they thought it too obvious there wouldn’t be 2 non-elimination rounds in a row). It drains some of the suspense when we finally reach the next non-elimination round when we know it’s coming.

And to be fair to the girl who worked as a dealer, I once read the rules of Bacarrat after seeing it in a James Bond movie, and I still didn’t understand the game afterwards.

2 AnonyMousse { 05.30.11 at 10:01 pm }

Accursed edit timeout. Forgot to add that I tried to be understanding the first time the woman of Team Lex Luthor (…what? They’re both bald and they’re both villains) used a sing-song voice back when selling food to foreigners, but now she’s whipped it out again. Twice in one episode, I think, but I didn’t record so I cant rewind and recheck that conversation with their first taxi driver again. It’s like they’re in a race to tick every villain box as quickly as possible (“Ruthless? tick. Overachievers? Tick. Honey, have we done racist yet?” “Yeah, twice!” “That’s a double-tick then! Achieve, baby!”)

3 PollyB { 05.30.11 at 10:17 pm }

Loving this show. Lots of laughs and the down right animosity toward the baldies is great! I love bikie Dave – ‘Blew a calf muscle’, “Muscles & Bambi’ – he’s a cracker. That awful woman Joey and her condescending attitude, ugh. And those sores on her head, eeew, how they could develop in the tropical climate. Shudder.

4 littlepetal { 05.30.11 at 10:19 pm }

I am enjoying the Amazing race. Look like every other teams don’t like the bald couple. When they were the first to get the clue from the fortune cookies, they were all encouraging each other to get their clue and overtake them.

Yeah Joey loves her hair but not her real hair. She only love the hair extension!!!.

I don’t know how long I have to endure this couple but by not liking them, karma is coming back to bite me. I know they will be there till the end !!!!! Got to suck it up.

5 Fraggle { 05.30.11 at 11:40 pm }

This is the best reality tv show that Australia has produced in years. The production quality is great and the mix of contestants is perfect. I loved Mo and Mos laughing at the casino and saying “were obviously not very good Muslims as we aren’t allowed to cancel”. Hopefully these guys are showing a positive message. They are a crackup and take everything in their stride.

6 Kori { 05.30.11 at 11:45 pm }

I’m not suprised @ Sam for not knowing Baccarat. I’m a dealer at Star City and I don’t know how to play Black Jack, more importantly, I don’t want to know how to play Black Jack, I deal Roulette and Baccarat. Dealers are twice as more likely to pick up a gambling addiction so for me I’d rather not go out of my way to pick up new games and wait till I have to deal them :).

Baccarat is easy to play then Black Jack, so I’m told, but harder to understand. Baccarat is like how they said on AR, you bet Player or Banker (or Tie). More indepth, two cards are dealt to either side, the closest to 9 wins, the 10s column is disgarded so if you have 16 it’s only 6 for example.

The complicated part is the rules that govern whether or not a 3rd card is drawn to either side. In any case you don’t have to worry about that, the dealer has to remember all this stuff.

7 Chunks { 05.30.11 at 11:54 pm }

What a great show it is. Would anyone really want Joey eliminated this early? C’mon you LOVE to hate her. Sadly the most likeable teams always seem to be the biggest clunkers like Mos and Mo and the Big W ladies and they get evicted pretty quickly. Bring on next week!

8 Fiona { 05.31.11 at 12:34 am }

Joey’s pigeon-English is ridiculous, is she going to do that in every country? That has put me off having hair extensions seeing what it did to her scalp! I thought she might be reluctant, but of course a real “achiever” would never hesitate. She was having haircut remorse afterwards though, too late.
Why take the 4 hour penalty, unless the other team do it too you are done for. Mo and Mos were just lucky the Big W ladies were exhausted. They could have worked it out, shame.
Loving the show, looking forward to getting out of Asia now.

9 Anon { 05.31.11 at 8:45 am }

Sam isn’t a dealer so of course wouldn’t have to know how to play baccarat.
She is VIP Executive Host meaning she looks after all the rich people who go to the casino in perth.

10 RarelySeen { 06.01.11 at 4:23 pm }

Joey strangely became more human after being shaved, but I love her ‘Joenglish’ which never changes despite the geography. ‘Extenshionne?, extenshionne?’.

11 RarelySeen { 06.01.11 at 4:24 pm }

Oh yeah, Mo & Mos, are completely addictive. I would so buy a sauce with their faces on it.

12 bella vita { 06.02.11 at 1:47 am }

Loving this show!
Sad about the Big W girls leaving…what great attitudes they had and always took things in their stride…would love to have them as Grandma’s!
Mo and Mos are two gentlemen and good on them for breaking that barrier of Muslim culture that people don’t understand..I really hope they do well.
As for Richard and Joey….can’t wait to see them lose

13 Wurstsemmel { 06.02.11 at 1:19 pm }

Sad to see my two favourite teams in the bottom two and to see both give up (but as someone else mentioned, who knows how long they tried before they did actually give in?)

Loved the Big W ladies from Day 1 but knew they wouldn’t last the distance. Way too physical for them. Shame because they really made it fun.

Love Mo and Mos and hope that everyone gets bunched up waiting for a flight so they don’t pay for that 4 hour penalty. I hope Mo and Mos end up the ultimate winners.

I was hoping Joey would baulk at the shave and they would make a swift exit..but, no, I should have known she would have some motivational phrase to get her through the process….Loathe them….loathe the way she talks to foreigners…might have swallowed a whole heap of motivational books but her ignorance shines through….

14 Cue the music { 06.02.11 at 9:01 pm }

Shame the big W ladies went… they were a team that have been cracking me up. I would have prefered Dad and Son to go, but I guess we all knew the ladies wouldn’t last.

I know that Joey is good TV, but surely we’ll get sick of her motivational cringenglish! Maybe?