Joanne Zalm – Not Coming Back Because She Wanted To Protect Her Family

Well Joanne Zalm is certainly getting a lot of publicity this week (Claire Winton Burn may want to send her some flowers for taking the heat from her) regarding the fact there was a Facebook hate site and the fact she was eliminated last week amongst the cyber-bullying controversy. Coincidence I think not. Well if it is if I was head of publicity at Ten I would be taking credit for it…..

TV Week states that Joanne wants to protect her family. But to be fair she does not really say that she fears that they have been targetted. I think it is what is called a good old beat up something all the gossip magazines appeared to have done this week in relation to this yarn.

TV Week said:

Joanne Zalm was elminated from Masterchef last week as the fan backlash against her reached fever pitch. But while the 37-year-old endured personal insults and even death threats via an online hate campaign, her only concen has been for her family.

“My daughters are quite young and it’s my responsibility as a mother to protect them from bullying – I don’t want them to have a part in that,” she tell TV Week. “I’m not worried about my safety, but I’m  a very protective  mother and I’m always watching out for my children, no matter what.”

Joanne says her girls, Faith, seven, and Archella, three, are unaware of the backlash against their mum thanks to their “close-knit” community and limited TV and internet exposure. “I feel very lucky,” she says.

Describing her reunion with her husband, Richard, and daughters as “emotional”, Joanne says she’s now relying on family and friends for support during this trying time.

“I’m a pretty strong person but it is concerning and upsetting,” she admits. “I just have to remember how much my family and friends love and respect me, and how proud of me they are.”

Regular commentator Melba Toast came up with the best conspiracy theory yet about Joanne’s absence last night. She said that these episodes may have  been filmed prior to the UK ones. Due to the tight filming schedule and the fact the judges could not fly out this does have legs, but it would have been unfair for the person eliminated in the UK.

Obviously Melba Toast is not the first one to raise this as on Nine MSN they deny Joanne will return at another time.

1 brain dead dave { 06.28.10 at 2:58 pm }

If it’s any help about when last nights episode was filmed, I noticed that the use by date on one of the creams was 6 June.

Want to protect your family? Going on a dodgy reality television program might not be the best move.

2 Simon { 06.28.10 at 3:36 pm }

Masterchef is not a dodgy reality show, it’s a cashed-up giant of a reality show, that’s pimped out with slick production, high profile guest chefs and restaurants, a bevy of mainstream advertisers, international locales, and more marketing than a major sporting event! Sure, if you choose to enter you’re at the mercy of screen time manipulation and the Oz public’s vitriol – but this idea that going on such a mainstream show as Masterchef can rightly put one in ‘danger’ sadly shows that Oz society is dodgy, not the program. People need to chill, what’s happened to us? The way Joanne has been treated is frankly embarrassing and a disgrace.

3 brain dead dave { 06.28.10 at 4:39 pm }

Dodgy doesn’t mean cheap and nasty , it implies artfulness ,trickery and ingenuity which the show uses in spades. To describe Oz society as such indicates that you might not know what the word means.

4 Paul { 06.28.10 at 4:44 pm }

What the hell is wrong with people ?

So now, it’s not someone’s fault that they can issue death threats and hate campaigns but its the victims. Reminds me of people blaming rape victims because they dressed provocatively.

Are some people so sad and jealous that they get their jollies being nasty to someone they don’t even know.

And the excuse of “they go on a reality show so they deserve everything they get’ is bullshit.

As is ‘its my opinion and I will express it how and when I want.’ No you can’t idiots – show some common human decency and respect instead of being selfish self-centred pigs.

By all means be critical but specifically setting up facebook hate sites is the act of a moron. And people who join them are morons too.

Joanne had the courage to believe in her ability and apply for a show that is viewed by 10% of the Australian population. Good on her.

I’d love to see these anonymous heroes put their face and name out there and see how they like it.

End of rant…..

5 Matt { 06.28.10 at 5:56 pm }

The only thing I hated Joanne for was that she didn’t let her ethnic influence shine through enough.

I was enthralled in the first episode when she cooked tartoor and couldn’t wait to see some more Middle Eastern-inspired dishes.

Alas, she – like just about every other contestant in this series – has gone for the bland. Ok, maybe not bland as such, but certainly straight-out-of-the-Larousse Western.

Even the three contestants of Asian descent are going white-bread Western. We’ve had a touch of Asian in Alvin’s dishes, but fercrissakes Adam has spent the past five years in Japan and I can’t remember one dish of his that’s got that influence.

Last year we had some really strong contestants – I think some of this year’s are stronger technically, particularly Jono and Marion – who all had narratives.

Chris was Mr Nose-to-Tail, Justine was French, Poh was intensely Asian. Even Julie had a narrative, if you like food from The Castle (the scallops with bacon bits the other night in Masterclass made me want to puke).

Where’s the narratives this year? Maybe Jono (French) Jimmy (Indian, if he gets back in, which I reckon he will) and maybe, just maybe, Peter (Greek, again, if he gets back in). Skye had the whole shanti-shanti vegan macrobiotic thing, but again, we really only know this because of their pieces-to-camera, not through their cooking.

At the end of the day – because this is what Masterchef is supposed to be about – you have to ask yourself: “would I buy a cookbook from any of these contestants?”

Last year you’d say yes to Poh and yes to Chris. (Definitely no to Julie. As my wife said – without being mean – if Julie looks like that, why would you want to eat the sort of food she does?)

This year? Maybe Jimmy (only because the only decent Indian cookbook I’ve ever found is a Woman’s Weekly one). The rest of them? Don’t think so. Actually the one I would have really liked to have seen had she made it would have been Fiona. She had a very clear vision about teaching kids to cook, and her cookbook could have been fun. Hopefully it will be, if she gets around to writing it.

PS – re the consipracies? All wrong. My neighbour’s a TV camerman who’s worked on Masterchef. All shot in sequence.

6 Airwalk { 06.28.10 at 6:02 pm }

Matt-try Charmaine Solomons books, my mother cooks the best curries I haveever had and used her book as reference.
Still don’t mind Poh’s show over on 2 and agree with much of what Matt is trying to say(I think)

7 Paul { 06.28.10 at 6:04 pm }

Great post Matt.

Don’t think the challengers they’ve had have really allowed them to demonstrate their various cooking specialties but still that didn’t really deter them last year – Poh’s fried meringue comes to mind.

8 Reality Raver { 06.28.10 at 6:10 pm }

Whether the conspiracy theories are true or not, I think I will have a category in this year’s reality TV awards – Best conspiracy theory related to a reality show…. I am serious.

At the moment Melba Toast is the front runner to win it at the moment. Though CG will be in the mix.

9 Matt { 06.28.10 at 6:10 pm }

I think there’s been some great dishes this year.

The black broth noodle soup, Callum’s macaroons and Jono’s goat curry are immediate favourites.

But there’s nothing that tells you anything about the person doing the cooking, nothing archetypal, which is what good reality TV is about.

10 Paul { 06.28.10 at 6:14 pm }

RR,
Thats a great idea.

Though I think the CT sceptics (myself and anonymousse for example) should be on the judging panel to weed out the completely inplausible from the faintly credulous.

That should make us even more popular. LOL.

11 Reality Raver { 06.28.10 at 9:25 pm }

Matt – just a thought maybe the limited amount of ingredients they are allowed to select from the pantry (normally ten) mean it makes it difficult to cook asian and indian dishes.

Paul – Oh there is no credibility in my reality awards, all completely biased. But I may put some up for the vote this year. If I need some adjudication I will get you and anony in.

12 Ani Motek { 06.28.10 at 11:39 pm }

The people who have been making such a big deal about negative comments online do not understand online culture. Although I agree that death threats are going a little far, it is fairly common to create Facebook pages in support of, or in negative reaction to, popular media people and events. No one who signed on to the Facebook page ever had the slightest intention of causing physical harm to Joanne. No one who made negative or derogatory problems on Twitter knows Joanne as a person or was evaluating her as a person. They were evaluating her behavior as they saw it for perhaps 4 hours out of the week in the context of the MasterChef television show.

People online are not commenting about the MasterChef contestants as people, but as characters on a TV show. Once you go on a reality television show, you are presenting yourself as a television personality. The contestants hold approximately the same position as soap opera actors, who often have people interact with them as if the actors are actually the characters they portray.

Everyone who’s raising the alarm about this, including the contestants, needs to take a deep breath and realize that this phenomenon has nothing to do with the contestants as actual people.

13 sourkraut { 06.29.10 at 12:08 am }

Racists will always have an excuse

14 Airwalk { 06.29.10 at 3:52 am }

Ani – well stated
RR – please don’t

15 sourkraut { 06.30.10 at 2:39 pm }

Simon post 2
Paul post 4
Could not have put it better myself. Agree 100% (NOTE NOT 120% AS PER SOME OF THE CONTESTANTS ) DAMN CAPS LOCK
aNI m bULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 sourkraut { 06.30.10 at 2:43 pm }

Matt
what chance did Joanne have to cook anything of Middle East variety. None of the mystery boxes I saw lent themselves to it and there certainly was nothing in the main contest which were dominated by Bland modern french and Boring Italian. The only Asian dishes cooked by Jimmy were panned by the Gs those indubitable sages of curries HAH!

17 sourkraut { 06.30.10 at 2:46 pm }

Matt
I thought Jimmy cooked the goat curry. Cant REMEMBER jono doing it (could be wrong though)