Guest Post: House Rules – The Next Garden Reno Begins

A new episode and a new renovation and Annajjj gives her hilarious take on it:

Tonight is the second lot of gardens and this time it is Lisadz and Madllo having their property portfolio’s value increased. Or possibly devalued since the Cappers and Ryandy are still here.

First up we are in Melbourne where teams arrive at Lisa and Adam’s house. The Garden Rules are:
Cottage garden
Brick paths and fretwork
Modern al fresco backyard
Screen out the neighbours

The ‘gift’ crates contain two topiary ‘swirly’ trees and a pizza oven. Score!

Over to Townsville where Lisadz and the Cappers arrive at Maddi and Lloyd’s place. The Garden Rules are:
Palm Springs cool
Statement entrance
Poolside paradise fit for a wedding
Lush open backyard for the dogs – how does that fit in with the wedding theme?

Their ‘gift’ crates contain an enormous cactus and a wedding archway. These guys live in the tropics; why are we giving them desert plants?

Back over to Melbourne where Maddi is pointing out the uselessness of Gapper’s tiny deck. Her plan is to extend the deck to make it useable as well as making a path to the pizza oven area. Meanwhile there is a disaster in Townsville as a cracked water pipe starts gushing water. Gapper tries to plug it with his finger but that only works on dykes Gapper. He then gets a witches hat to use as a bucket. It’s an inspired idea apart from the fact that there’s a hole in the bucket dear Gapper, dear Gapper…..later the Cappers do a little mud-slinging but it’s actually fun this time.

Carole wants to engage a painter for the balustrades. Lisa isn’t happy about it but basically gets bullied into it. Notice that Adam didn’t really help her out here. Maddi and Candy trot off to visit the cute neighbour to ask his permission to give him a new fence. Unsurprisingly he agrees but shouldn’t he pay half??

Ryan has taken it upon himself to extend the front awning across the front windows and Candy is annoyed. Why did you change it? she demands but Ryan refuses to answer, apologise or back down. Voice Over announces McDawn-French ‘arriving at just the right time’ like that’s even possible. She says some rubbish about making it even and formal like cottage gardens should be so Ryandy end up designing a water feature which isn’t even or even formal.

The teams in Townsville go shopping and Lisa shows off her shallow side by only choosing good-looking plants. The Cappers snap up the coolest cacti and Gapper gives cactus lady a big hug. She looks delighted. Lisadz have to chose from the manky leftover cacti. ‘We really lucked out’ Lisa tells us but no Lisa, you were out of luck. Not to be outdone by Gapper, Adam gives cactus lady a hug and swings her off her feet. This time she nearly faints from delight.

Back at the house Lisa orders blue paint online. Nothing can go wrong here.

Adam and Lisa’s pizza oven is being assembled and Maddi decides she wants to jazz up the deck with mirrors. Out in the front another disaster as the diggers have hit the gas line. Chester! arrives to clear everyone off site. He’s remarkably calm about it. There’s no yelling Get Out! or anything dramatic this time. Perhaps he’s already over this.

Because the site is closed down the teams head off shopping. Ryan displays his usual lack of restraint by buying every plant at Masters. Well every plant that Maddi didn’t buy. Her receipt resembles an extra length toilet roll. Meanwhile Lisa’s blue paint arrives and, this bit might be hard to believe but, it’s the WRONG colour. They wanted sky-blue. Coincidently the exact same sky-blue as the shirts they are both wearing. Casting around in a panic, they grab a sky-blue sawhorse and drag it with them into the shops to demonstrate the colour they want.

We finish off the episode with the gas pipe repaired allowing the Melbourne teams back to work. Reveal and elimination tomorrow.

1 Colleen { 06.24.14 at 10:18 am }

You forget to mention the phone calls. Why why why?

Chester was there … Mmmm Is Chester always there? Is there a Chester equivalent in Townsville? Is he hot too? We need more Chester.

2 all happening { 06.24.14 at 10:25 am }

Another good recap thanks annajjj. Townsville’s nickname is brownsville as it doesn’t have as much rain as other places around it. It is actually classed as dry tropics there.
I have had family live there and I can’t remember any cactus growing in their gardens. Lots of palms and tropical foliage plants.
Fairly boring ep last night imo.

3 annajjj { 06.24.14 at 10:31 am }

Thanks All Happening. I’d heard that too about Brownsville. Hasn’t been my experience but I’ve only been coming here since April and it’s pretty lush atm! Agree it wasn’t a great episode last night. Tonight should be better with the reveals. Colleen I skipped the calls as they were so boring and pointless. Why why why indeed!

4 all happening { 06.24.14 at 10:47 am }

#3 We have had a very wet, wet season this year so it is lusher down there that normal. We have only had 3.6 Meters of rain so far this year. Trouble with t’ville is that it is either dry or flooded in a normal year.

5 cuisinaire { 06.24.14 at 11:01 am }

What happened with the rock heist?

6 ziii { 06.24.14 at 11:05 am }

Thanks again for the recap Annajj.

Maybe cactus is popular up there to warrant a cactus lady. She sure got lucky.

Loved seeing Chester and the gas emergency!

Hate the idea of mirrors outside. I don’t want to watch myself eat and they’re a pain to clean.

7 JK { 06.24.14 at 12:29 pm }

The show is more exciting with Chester! More Chester please!!!!! <3

8 Littlepetal { 06.24.14 at 12:49 pm }
9 Shellbot { 06.24.14 at 12:51 pm }

Was Adam seriously going to send his ‘particulars’ to Ryan via text?? He could have just called Telstra or whoever himself rather then giving personal information like that…

Agree that mirrors outside are a bad idea.

Could you believe Carol tasting the mystery water coming out of the pipe?! 😮

10 ziii { 06.24.14 at 12:56 pm }

@Littlepetal I was just reading that. Sounds like they want to sell the house. Ryan would annoy me, maybe Candy can date Chester!

11 brain dead dave { 06.24.14 at 1:01 pm }

Mirrors outside here will just attract a bird called a Piping Shrike which will just sit there all day and shit on the mirror.

That moment Ryan started prying into Adam’s occupation confirmed for me that he was 110% cockhead. Watershed moment. Then the mindless pranking and wanking. Candy’s dodged a boofhead there.

Carole drinking shit made a welcome change from her talking shit. I couldn’t believe it either.

12 all happening { 06.24.14 at 1:39 pm }

Townsville itself is fairly tropical ziii but the moment you climb up one of the surrounding hills it dries right off. They had stop lights at the end of my Sons street that only went on when the drains were flooded.
The ghekos and ants would make mirrors a nightmare.
Do storm water drains run like that if it is not raining? Just asking!

13 cuisinaire { 06.24.14 at 2:53 pm }

@12, I thought that the idea of mirrors outside (the mind boggles) was for the cottage Melbourne house not Palm Springs/Vegas in Townsville (or are there geckos aplenty in Melbs?)

14 Gidgitvonlarue { 06.24.14 at 3:06 pm }

I did laugh when Lisa and Adam were driving back to fix up the paint and the bridge they were driving over – the bannisters on the bridge – were the EXACT colour they were after! Just an observation.

Another great write up! I’m really not sure why Adam and Lisa were ALREADY out getting cactus (agreed – it’s sub tropical area – not bloody desert!) why they did not just go and get the right paint then. Who the f*ck orders paint online unless you live in the middle of Australia 7 hours from the nearest town or shop!

15 Gidgitvonlarue { 06.24.14 at 3:26 pm }

Personally I preferred the original ‘wrong’ blue/grey they got – it was more classy. The blue they actually want is more kiddie bubble gum blue.

16 Eliza { 06.24.14 at 4:17 pm }

@cuisinaire, yep, the mirrors were for Adam & Lisa’s place in Melb, not Maddi and Lloyd’s. I sometimes get confused with what is going on where. No geckos in Melbourine. I love geckos. Years ago I went to Cairns and was delighted when one was in the house.. they are so freaking cute! Garry the Gecko.

I don’t like mirrors everywhere, either. It is just going to reflect the inside so different to a mirror reflecting the outside which looks nicer. I don’t want to be watching myself constantly, either. Ohh geee I am looking mighty fiiiinnee today?

Re Candy & Ryan – no shocks there and the fact that they say that they were having issues prior to filming showed. I honestly have thought that Candy hated him the whole time. Convenient to stay together for the show then just sell up. Call me naive, or idealistic, but 5 years with someone you’re not sure about is a long time to stick it out for.

17 Fijane { 06.24.14 at 4:37 pm }

I couldn’t tell the difference between the two paints. While I like the shade, I didn’t think it was right for the fence anyway. BTW, what is ‘palm springs cool’? Sounds like a made up style, designed to be interpreted incorrectly.

18 Eliza { 06.24.14 at 4:43 pm }

This is what I picture. They just want a laid back, ‘cool’ vibe.

19 Neal { 06.24.14 at 8:01 pm }

I noticed they were using a preformed concrete stand for the pizza oven. Where can I source this mould ? Anyone?

20 all happening { 06.25.14 at 7:58 am }

Sorry Eliza a had a senior moment with the mirrors. They would have birds committing suicide hitting though. I am still scratching my head over Palm Springs style. Have not seen that style up in Townsville.

21 bean { 06.25.14 at 9:58 am }

Did anyone else think the scoring was completely off last night? Although by the sounds of it, noone really deserves the win, i’ve got my fingers crossed for adam and lisa! What a lovely couple

22 all happening { 06.25.14 at 10:07 am }

Gigit, I think the paint saga was because there is no master in Townsville. The Cairns store was supplying a lot of the plants by sending a truck down so they could buy off the truck.

23 julie ann { 06.25.14 at 12:45 pm }

I’d like to know why some reno gardens budget seem to be much higher than others. the front garden built for carol and Russell would have cost a fortune with decking, furniture and the building of the retaining walls, turfing, water feature etc. compare that to the cottage front ryan and candy are doing up having to send back the water feature or they couldn’t afford an inexpensive picket fence. it would be easier to get a high score when money seems to be no object. it makes you wonder also why some contestants seem to be receiving the deluxe makeover while others get the budget version.

24 why { 06.25.14 at 1:02 pm }

It looked like Candy and Ryan used cut flowers and simply stuck them in the ground along the inside fence line!

25 Andrea { 06.25.14 at 6:48 pm }

I hated the mirrors too, a young kid could even run into it, it would have been better with the screen over it as Ryan suggested.
I liked the extended decking around the tree but of course the judges had to pick on it as usual.
Loved Adam and Lisa’s cottage garden, I hope they win.

26 Jarmarie { 01.04.15 at 8:53 pm }

Hi I’ve been trying to find the nursery in Townsville where they bought the cacti can someone please help me out